Posted By: Pat_451 Post Issues - 11-08-2011 07:45 PM
My husband completed treatment in 09. His pet scan came back clean last year. He now has a lot of problem with his neck, it tighens up and causes him pain.
He also has been coughing a lot. It sounds like he is gagging. Also his voice is forever changing.
We have a dr. appt in December for a re-check, do I call ask them to do the "cookie test"?
Any feedback would be helpful.
Thanks
Pat
Posted By: davidcpa Re: Post Issues - 11-08-2011 09:49 PM
Cough can be related to acid reflux so have that discussed as well. Might even want to try an OTC acid reflux med just to see if there's any difference since you are a month away from the appt.
Posted By: Pat_451 Re: Post Issues - 11-08-2011 10:30 PM
He currently takes Omprazole for his acid reflux.
Thanks
Pat
Posted By: Gary Re: Post Issues - 11-09-2011 01:57 AM
I don't have acid reflex but I have the other issues and have mentioned it frequently in other posts.

The neck spasms and more phlegm than pre Tx are pretty much to be expected. I also lost about 1/3 octave on my voice as well. Some doctors think the vocal cords were damaged as a result of all of the vomiting.
Posted By: julieann Re: Post Issues - 11-09-2011 05:19 AM
Hi:
What's the "cookie test?"
julieann
Posted By: Eshwar N Re: Post Issues - 11-09-2011 08:20 AM
It is Barium Swallow test.

Pete had published this link: http://www.radiographicceu.com/article23.html
Posted By: Mark Lilienthal Re: Post Issues - 11-21-2011 12:44 AM
Pat:

This sounds very familiar...your husband's history could be mine...including the site...only a year later...

At the simplest, my voice has changed. I get hoarse easily, and am often dry...although I do not have dry mouth, I do not have as much saliva as normal...

Those who don't know me have accused me of "smoker's cough" in the morning...a lot of throat clearing and phlegm...which is all the more ironic since I have never smoked!

I've discussed the various issues with my ENT surgeons who suggest this is all part of my new "normal"...the RO, before he retired, had warned me of the same. Both ENT surgeons have supported long-term acid-reflux medication (Nexium)...

I had the "cookie test" prior to treatment...which showed some silent aspiration to clear fluids...I haven't had that test since...

The only advice is "lots of fluids"...although it has been suggested to me to try the saliva-supporting lozenge "Numoisyn"...
© Oral Cancer Support - Survivor / Patient Forum