Posted By: Michelle Ann Recovery Hope - 06-14-2011 04:41 PM
When people on this site told me three months ago to have patience, that I would improve and heal in time, I couldn't believe it, but it was true. I want to send along a message of hope to everyone, but especially to those people just finishing treatment: things get better, the body wants to heal, it just takes time. I didn't believe it then, and I still have my hard days, but right now I am sitting in my favorite coffee shop, eating a fritata and drinking a hot chai tea. My PEG is coming out in two weeks. My first pet-scan is on 6/20. My family and I made vacation plans: one week in Maine and New Hampshire. My recovery was really tough but I learned to have patience and let my body heal. It's still healing but at least I can talk, eat, drive, and have interest in things again. Bless all of you and thank you to those whose wisdom and advice helped enormously. I'll keep you all posted on the results of my first pet-scan. Best, Michelle
Posted By: slim Re: Recovery Hope - 06-14-2011 04:43 PM
So happy to hear that things are going better. It takes a long, long time to heal from all you have been through. Continued good health!
Posted By: julieann Re: Recovery Hope - 06-14-2011 05:01 PM
Michelle:

Congratulations on your successful recovery. It sounds like you're doing great, so keep it up grin. Prayers headed your way for good results on your upcoming PET scan and we'll be looking for "good" results!!
julieann
Posted By: hurlock Re: Recovery Hope - 06-14-2011 05:03 PM
Michelle, I am following your progress. I am right behind you 4 weeks post rad Scc of Larynx. I tell people that always ask I am 1% better today (total is 53 1/2%) Not much but still progress. When does the mucous begin to clear....I have more than my bull mastiff....and I did not think that possible. Keep posting as you improve to give me hope and confidence. steve Hurlock
Posted By: Michelle Ann Re: Recovery Hope - 06-14-2011 10:09 PM
Mucus... let me tell you about mucus. Everyone kept saying "dry mouth" while I was drooling like... well like your bull mastiff! I think it took a good 8 weeks for my mouth to stop secreting "gunk," as I like to call it. But now it's all about dry mouth, which (to me) is not as bad as mucus and gunk. Hope you are doing well. This journey we are on is sure a tough one! Do you have a Water Pik water flosser? A few people from this site recommended it and I found it a great way to feel fresh in the mouth. Plus, now that I am eating it is a good way to clean the mouth of food debris, which my weak tongue still can't manage to take care of. -Michelle
Posted By: msmac Re: Recovery Hope - 06-15-2011 01:05 AM
What a wonderful post! I'm so glad to hear you are feeling better. I hope you have a great vacation.
Posted By: Cheryld Re: Recovery Hope - 06-15-2011 02:45 AM
I am so glad you are feeling better!!! Im two months behind you ! Thankfully my gunk has eased - and I have to agree dry beats niagara falls any day... Hugs- you made it through! smile
© Oral Cancer Support - Survivor / Patient Forum