Posted By: Daniel Bogan Reunion Number 2. Location? - 09-02-2005 09:25 AM
This is new thread for us to concider a location and time for another get together. Hawaii would probably limit the number of members who can afford to attend. The location shoud be somewhere that allows more members to attend.
With the cost of gas I'm sure we will see airline tickets rise.
We still need someone to step forward and take on the duties of putting it all together. Location, dates, romm rates, activities. etc.

Danny Boy
Posted By: Robr Re: Reunion Number 2. Location? - 09-02-2005 10:35 AM
How about somewhere warm? It's gonna get cold here any day.
Posted By: ShawnaMargo Re: Reunion Number 2. Location? - 09-03-2005 02:41 PM
You may all laugh at this and want to punch me. I am suggesting Minneapolis-we are going to start to plan a benefit for Oral Cancer. Of course, we plan to invite every one-
My dad is finishing his treatment next week--
Posted By: aussieh Re: Reunion Number 2. Location? - 09-03-2005 10:04 PM
Sydney's warm! LOL Helen wink
Posted By: Eileen Re: Reunion Number 2. Location? - 09-06-2005 10:24 PM
Hi Danny,
You had three couples beside Brian who said Hawaii sounded good. Gary said that he found a price for 7 days from LA for $1298. I chekced one from NYC and it was $1800 for two. Airfare for us east coasters is the same to Califoria coast as it is for Vagas unless special package. Airfares to middle america are generally higher.

Money is not my problem. Time is, so I need time to plan but don't don't delay for my part. I'love to go to Hawaii, but the only way I can drag Charlie is a convention so this could be a plan. He hates humidity and the mosquitoes eat him alive.

So is anyone besides Danny, Kris and Gary, and maybe me up to going to this?

Eileen
Posted By: stefon Re: Reunion Number 2. Location? - 09-08-2005 12:44 AM
Minneapolis works well for me and I'm sure Mark would agree too! No mosquitos or humidity after mid September....
Posted By: rosie Re: Reunion Number 2. Location? - 09-08-2005 11:20 AM
Hawaii sounds great. I think I can talk Greg into that as long as we find a good package deal. We don't generally spend a lot on vacations, but I think we could swing it.

Minneapolis doesn't sound too bad either, except I think the airfare will be quite a bit higher than to someplace like Vegas. ShawnaMargo, do you have any idea about when the benefit will occur? I'm wondering if the time wil coincide with the time of the reunion. Do we have any idea on what time period we are looking at for the reunion?

If Hawaii, next April/May because that is the value season? Does April/May sound good otherwise or were you all hoping for something sooner?

Rosie
Posted By: Stephany Re: Reunion Number 2. Location? - 09-08-2005 12:14 PM
How about Los Angeles where I am? :-) The weather is beautiful! :-)

Stephany
Posted By: Stephany Re: Reunion Number 2. Location? - 09-08-2005 12:34 PM
Helen,

I would love to come to Australia. I am a scuba diver and would LOVE to! That is my dream! maybe I will get there someday...Just work does not allow me to take too much time off at one time!
But I will do it soon, hopefully :-)
Stephany
Posted By: Mark Re: Reunion Number 2. Location? - 09-08-2005 10:16 PM
Yup Dave Minneapolis it is! bring your ice skates and sled after October and before August. Danny boy would love a trip to Viking Land.
Posted By: Brian Hill Re: Reunion Number 2. Location? - 09-08-2005 11:03 PM
I'm only going to Minneapolis after the first years freeze... They have mosquitoes there that will carry off your young! I want them dead before I come!! Tell us about the varied things to do there Mark... While I am content to hang out in a location with few venues to amuse myself since I come to smooze with my survivor compatriots, others need to be in a venue where there are lots of outside activities to occupy them. Perhaps you could organize and ice fishing expedition if it carries over into November or early spring. (Just kidding... I really like your state. I spent a week there one day.)
Posted By: Gary Re: Reunion Number 2. Location? - 09-09-2005 07:48 AM
How some place warm like Taos NM or Sedona AZ?

Very funny Brian!
Posted By: Mark Re: Reunion Number 2. Location? - 09-09-2005 10:46 AM
Oh yes, Mark Twain said once: "The coldest winter I ever spent, was a summer in Duluth"

Duluth being my hometown, is 170 miles north of Minneapolis. Actually summer in Minnesota is quite nice (70's 80's 90's) except for the mosquitoes which, Brian is correct, have a payload rating of several pounds. The metro area is fairly well treated for mosquitoes.

I would like to suggest perhaps multiple regional get togethers so that travel is not so expensive. While I would like to see everyone, I'd rather see us donate the travel expense money to the OCF.
Posted By: Brian Hill Re: Reunion Number 2. Location? - 09-09-2005 03:28 PM
As a long time resident of Santa Fe, I can highly recommend this city. Taos is great in the winter if you like to ski, just remember that it is at 8000 feet. Santa Fe is cold in the winter (7200 feet) without the snows of Taos, but I can tell you that it is a magical city at Xmas and most of the year except the modestly hot August and September. Most do not know that it is the oldest continuously occupied city in the US, an occupation that began before Columbus hit the rocks on the east coast. This is because when the Spaniards started up from what is now Mexico to look for the cities of Gold, one of the cities they founded was Santa Fe. Dripping with history and artifacts, art galleries and restaurants out the wazoo, it has a charm unique in travel destinations. For 5 years running till 2001 it was the number one tourist destination in the US according to Conde Nast. You have to fly into Albuquerque and rent a car for the one-hour drive to Santa Fe. Sedona on the other hand is lower in altitude and warm in the winter. It attracts tons of snowbirds who live there for the winter months in the motor homes etc. A new-agers Mecca, bring your crystals, learn about your chakras before you go, and be ready to embrace the many spirit guides, channelers of spirits, and the like. As far as I am concerned none of that takes away from the natural beauty of the area, and the hiking, and good restaurants are first rate.
Posted By: Nelie Re: Reunion Number 2. Location? - 09-09-2005 05:25 PM
I could go for a meeting in Santa Fe or Sedona since my hubby used to live in that neck of the woods and would be up for a vacation where we visit there--and I have never been! I have been to Minnesota, in the summer, and found the mosquitos there weren't too much worse than black flies in the Adirondacks...

Hawaii would probably be too far for us and I'd have a hard time getting my husband to go to Vegas.
Posted By: Uptown Re: Reunion Number 2. Location? - 09-13-2005 12:24 PM
Minnesota in the summer?? I guess if you plan it right you might just hit that ONE WEEK of summer they have eek .

I spent many, many (too many to count) days and weeks in the Minnie Apple. It snows in October and that same snow is still on the side of the road in April with just 5-6 feet more on top of it. One of the fine activities includes going to Minnehaha Falls and listening the the water roaring below the several feet thick ice. It really intrigued my Malamute!

I probably couldn't swing the Hawaii thing but I'm game for about anything else...even the frozen northland.

We once ventured up to Hibbing to see a friend of mine in a band playing at the local Holiday Inn. He told me he hadn't gone outside for 3 weeks and asked to take him for drive. We went by Robert Zimmerman's house (aka Bob Dylan) just because it was there. When you stopped at the stop signs the cloud of smoke from the exhaust engulfed the car and you couldn't see the light change. The outside ambient temperature was over 30 degress BELOW zero.

We had a cold front move through yesterday and it was only 94. We had to shut off the air conditioner at night because now it is getting down to 68.

Please pick somewhere warm but we'll go just about anywhere.

Ed
© Oral Cancer Support - Survivor / Patient Forum