Posted By: Brian Hill OCF Volunteers - 08-14-2004 11:43 PM
OK, we are finally going to get state events planned, develop state OCF coordinators who will work with hospitals other volunteers, and run events such a cycling for awareness, run for early detection, etc. and interface with print, radio, and TV media. About a dozen people have offered to start the grass roots effort to put OCF on the map in the media, and get involved with fundraising. I have learned a lot from recent interactions with the Lance Armstrong Foundation and others, and I think that we are ready to take our first small steps in doing this. Of course this all comes at a good time as or national exposure in print ads that are going to start appearing in newspapers, and the PSA's with Blythe Danner and Jack Klugman are going to start hitting the airwaves as well. Volunteers can run the gamut from those who just want to do a few hours a month of work on their computers, to those that want to get out and speak at schools and in front of the media. Obviously there are lots of little pieces of the puzzle in between these two levels of involvement that have to be filled to pull something like a fund raiser off.

A new forum where those of us that are going to make this happen has been started at the bottom of the forum list. It is where we will all come to work out the details of a variety of initiatives, events, etc., and coordinate making it all happen. If you want to be part of making a change in the world, and in this disease specifically, now is the time to stand up and be counted. Even if you have offered your time to OCF before, please re send your contact information to me by email, and I will send you the password to get into the new forum. After we get enough people involved, even if it is just in one state
Posted By: Lisa in Florida Re: OCF Volunteers - 08-15-2004 10:15 AM
Me me me me! (tunefully said)

Sincerely,
Lisa in Ks
Posted By: tizz Re: OCF Volunteers - 08-15-2004 10:37 PM
Hi Brian,

Count me in too smile

Cheers!

Tizz wink
Posted By: Debbie Domer/Caregiver Re: OCF Volunteers - 08-15-2004 11:26 PM
Hey Brian,
I have just moved to Birmimgham, Alabama last week. Don't know the area at all, but working on it. I won't be working for a bit, so I have more time on my hands than usual. Let me know what I can do to help.
Thanks,
Debbie
Posted By: AzTarHeel Re: OCF Volunteers - 08-16-2004 12:46 AM
Hey Brian... I've still got three to four weeks left of active treatment but once I recover from that, count me in...

I write for a smalltown newspaper and am familiar with crafty newspaper worthy stories -- let me know what I can do... I love to write...

I definitely pass the word for OCF and this Web site whenever I talk with doctors, nurses, etc.
Posted By: minniea Re: OCF Volunteers - 08-16-2004 03:26 AM
Consider Virginia well covered. I have been on the news a number of times, once since my surgery, due to the success of my teams. I also have many contacts with the local schools and youth organizations and my doctors are all about helping with this.
Minnie
Posted By: Lorie Re: OCF Volunteers - 08-16-2004 07:03 AM
Brian-

You know you can count on me. I am not afraid to get out and about...contact doctor's offices, hospitals, etc.

Thanks for all the incredible work you do.

Lorie
Posted By: Robr Re: OCF Volunteers - 08-16-2004 12:01 PM
Dude,

I am so in. Let me know what you want me to do. Owning my own company provides me time to get away on occasion. Say the word. Also, as a 42 YO I feel that raising awareness in younger people and helping the already diagnosed will be a valuable resource.

I am an excellent speaker and would love to hit the circut. Just ask my wife, she says I never shut up. The University Of Chicago uses me on a regular basis to speak with the newly diagnosed, both young and old. Personally and in there support group.

Just let me know Brian. You guys really helped me get throught this thing. Every time I look at my newborn I thank god for this site and my health.

I sure miss Lynn though.

Peace and Love

Robert
Posted By: Daniel Bogan Re: OCF Volunteers - 08-16-2004 02:22 PM
Hello Brian,

I received your email and am willing to do whatever you need. Just say the word.

Robert,

There are several members of this forum we all miss. Packer66, Heather, Russ, Marcy, Scott, Lynn, Peggy and many others. I take some comfort in knowing they suffer no more! I also love to see someone beat this dreaded diaease. Score one for the good guy's!!!

Best of wishes, Danny Boy
Posted By: Mark Re: OCF Volunteers - 08-16-2004 10:48 PM
I am "in there" (of course you knew that)!
Posted By: DanielleO Re: OCF Volunteers - 08-17-2004 01:33 AM
Brian,

I'll do whatever you need me to. I'm close by you so just give me a call whenever you need to. I think I gave you my cell number a while back. If you need it again send me a private message.

Dani
Posted By: nancyt Re: OCF Volunteers - 08-17-2004 06:37 AM
Brian,

I'd like to lend a hand here. I'm not good with talking to people as I'm still working on my speaking ability and am still hesitant to talk to people over the phone (unless it's family). But, I'm good on the computer and could certainly lend a hand getting the word out that way. Please count me in.

Nancy
Posted By: PackersVoice Re: OCF Volunteers - 08-17-2004 04:23 PM
OK, Brian, count me in, I`ve done my best to put the bad parts of disease behind me. It doesn`t seem possible that Packer will be gone 6 months. I never thought life would ever brighten up, but the universe always seems to have surprises for us.I have a beautiful new life, getting married in a couple weeks,in a cemetery, which seems appropriate to my new outlook on life.........live every day like it`s your last. And the universe does take care of us........I did my very best to care for Frank and walk by his side, I have no regrets about any of the 6 years we battled this crap,I thought I could turn my back on oral cancer and put it all behind me, but guilt reared it`s ugly head, there is too much I can do to help yet, so,Brian, whatever you need, let me know..........Dee
Posted By: Nicki Re: OCF Volunteers - 08-17-2004 05:18 PM
Again, this is all new to me, but I am experiencing a consuming need to be on this amazing website - and as much of a novice as I am to what you all have experienced, I would love to help in whatever capacity you need in the Northern Virginia area. It would seem I will be very busy taking care of Tom in the coming months, but I'll help in whatever way you need. Computer/doctor-dentist visits/writing or editing.....please let me know! I am taking this website address with me to the cancer center at UVA next week to post, and I'll make sure Tom's doctors know about it - if they don't already!
Thank you again - all of you - for providing such hope and inspiration to Tom and me
Posted By: Marcy Re: OCF Volunteers - 08-17-2004 09:43 PM
Brian,
I will do anything I can. Marcy said I should be her spokesperson since she had to leave us.
I was with her from the first diagnosis to the third reoccurance, I learned a few things along the way.
Warrior in Wisconsin,

Michelle
Posted By: englishbob Re: OCF Volunteers - 08-18-2004 09:27 AM
I would love to offer my services
I am availbale most days between 8am and 4pm EST
Please let me know

Bob
Posted By: Brian Hill Re: OCF Volunteers - 08-22-2004 10:59 PM
Some of you have not sent me your contact information, and as a result I have not sent you the password to the volunteer forum. Just a reminder that we are begining our outreach programs and could use all the help we can get. If you have a few hours you can spend helping OCF, please contact me with our name and address and phone. Please do not post that info here.
Posted By: Brett Re: OCF Volunteers - 08-24-2004 02:27 PM
Hey Brian. I sent you a private note August 19th with my contact info. I know you're a busy guy, but I wanted to let you know I'm still standing by.

-Brett
Posted By: Brian Hill Re: OCF Volunteers - 08-24-2004 11:19 PM
Brett I didn't get it, please send it again, don't forget the obvious, last name, email addres etc. I will send you a copy of the current group and password.
Posted By: minniea Re: OCF Volunteers - 08-25-2004 12:15 AM
Brian,
I cannot open up the file you sent for us to check our information. Not sure why.
Minnie
Posted By: nancyt Re: OCF Volunteers - 08-25-2004 06:23 AM
Hi Brian,

Like Brett, I too sent you a message with my info on August 18 but apparently you never got it. I just tried to repeat that private message and your mailbox is full! Goes to show what a busy and popular guy you truly are! I'll try again - just wanted you to know that I am trying to get through.

Nancy
Posted By: PackersVoice Re: OCF Volunteers - 08-25-2004 11:31 AM
Brian, I sent you a private message too, maybe I didn`t get through either.........Dee
Posted By: Brett Re: OCF Volunteers - 08-25-2004 02:00 PM
Brian,

Your mailbox is full. It won't accept the message I just tried to send to you.

-Brett
Posted By: lowanneb Re: OCF Volunteers - 08-31-2004 09:19 PM
Brian

Danny Boy and Marcy's sister have both volunteered. If you can use more help in Wisconsin, count me in.

I'll send a private message when your mailbox is not so full.

Lowanne
Posted By: Brian Hill Re: OCF Volunteers - 08-31-2004 11:20 PM
There must be a problem with my mailbox on the message board since it is empty. Please use my email address if you wish to contact me. lowanneb- I cannot contact you directly since you have the email portion of your profile turned off. Please everyone else use my eamil address as well.
Posted By: brm1949 Re: OCF Volunteers - 09-01-2004 06:57 PM
I really don't know what I could do, but count me in.
© Oral Cancer Support - Survivor / Patient Forum