Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#89528 02-05-2009 08:52 AM
Gold Member (200+ posts)
OP Offline
Gold Member (200+ posts)

Just met my medical oncologist. He's Hopkins trained and resume very impressive. But I just don't know what to think.
I called Johns Hopkins about a 2nd opinion, but it will take 3 weeks, and I don't want to delay treatment.

I have a very large tumor at the base of my tongue (Pet Scan 4x3x4cm approx)and also showed 3 very small nodes (8mm)with possible hypermetabolic activity. There is also a possibility of a false/positve read. Cannot feel them manually. No other cancer throughout my body.

Dr. said that he's working for a "cure". Wants to do a reduced dose of Cisplatin weekly as opposed to the 3-4 interval doses. Seems to be his stardard regimen. Also he couldn't give me a definite staging. Said it could be 111,Iva or Ivb depending on the lymph nodes, and that radiation will take care of them.

Unfortunately, I can't get an appointment with Johns Hopkins until the end of February, and I don't want to wait to start radiation as it's radiation, more so than chemo, that kills the cancer.

They want to start me next week. I'm not sure what to do or where to go.

Thanks
Sandy

Sandy 56, BOT SCC Biopsy 1/21/09 Stage 3, T3NXM0.
Finished 3 cycle induction chemotherapy 4/7/09. (Chisplatin, 5-fu and Texotere). Re-staged 4/20/09,(very successful.) Will start Carboplatin/radiation 2 Gy/5 days/7 weeks (Tomotherapy) starting May 4th. Finished 6/22/09.
OCF member/supporter

SandySt. #89529 02-05-2009 09:19 AM
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)

Sandy,

I had a few people putz around my cancer so long and by the time it was diagnosed it was exploding in size. I was really upset with myself because valuable time was wasted when I could have been getting 2nd, 3rd and 4th opinions; unfortunately, it did not work that way. I felt very good about my ENT and RO--they moved lighting fast and hopefully saved my life in the process. My RO also comes from JH and has worked in conjunction with Sloan on H&N/OC txs. When everything was caught up to speed I had an ENT, RO, MO and a OS all recommend that the tumor be removed. So, I had surgery, healed then zapped for 7 weeks, no chemo. I was told if my nodes came back suspicious or positive chemo would have been added.

I wish I could help a little more then just telling you about my situation...I do know that several on this site were tx'd with radiation/chemo and no surgery.

7-16-08 age 37@Dx, T3N0M0 SCC 4.778cm tumor, left side of oral tongue, non smoker, casual drinker, I am the 4th in my family to have H&N cancer
8-13-08 left neck dissection and 40% of tongue removed, submandibular salivary gland & 14 nodes clean, no chemo, IMRTx35
11-4-08 Recovering & feeling better
Ray1971 #89532 02-05-2009 09:51 AM
Senior Member (100+ posts)
Senior Member (100+ posts)

Sandy, so sorry to read about your situation. I feel 3 weeks is too long to wait for second opinion. It's also critical you feel very positive and comfortable with your medical team and that feeling is obviously missing here. Like Ray, I had surgery first to remove infected tonsil and lymph nodes and then went into radiation. Didn't have chemo as PET scan was all clear following surgery but they couldn't be sure about the "margins" so had to have radiation.

Sure others here will offer their guidance. Keep us posted.

Bill . . . SCC - originated in right tonsil, drifted into neck ( 28 lymph nodes removed - one positive ). Radical neck dissection in September 07, completed 34 radiation tx on January 4, 2008. Used Peg. Non smoker, 61, good shape, no previous health issues. Second year PET scan - "all clear".
SandySt. #89535 02-05-2009 10:51 AM
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

Sandy

Do you like the doctor? Did he listen? Do you like the plan?
I know the party line is that second opinions are due diligence but I know what you are going through. A second opinion is not an easy solution either especially if it is different from the TX plan you have in terms of surgery, etc. So which one do you pick? And if, God forbid, you have a recurrence (statistically very likely with BOT in an advanced stage), will you then regret the choice you made?
Funny, I was going to ask you how you were getting a second opinion so quickly when 18 months ago I was told a month or more at least for a John Hopkin's second opinion. So I bit the bullet and just went with the TX plan from Georgetown. It wouldn't hurt to ask about Erbitux as the chemo with your doctor as I was scared of the Cisplatin side effects.
I do agree that the Radiation is important to start and for what it's worth, the rad and chemo did wipe out my original BOT tumor - this one's brand new plus I had a glorious one year period of living cancer free. Now I know too late that you need to work the second opinion process the same time as the first opinion or for unconnected folk like us the tyranny of the full appointment calendar works against us.
Good luck, best wishes and sincere prayers.

65 yr Old Frack
Stage IV BOT T3N2M0 HPV 16+
2007:72GY IMRT(40) 8 ERBITUX No PEG
2008:CANCER BACK Salvage Surgery
25GY-CyberKnife(5) 3 Carboplatin
Apaghia /G button
2012: CANCER BACK -left tonsilar fossa
40GY-CyberKnife(5) 3 Carboplatin

Passed away 4-29-13

Who called for the second opinion, you or your doctor? Maybe he can get you in sooner. Do they know how large and agressive this is? Since he's Hopkins trained, does he have any connection that might be able to get you an appointment within a few days. If that doesn't work, can he fax your records and get second opinion over phone within a few days? If, not I wouldn't delay since it is so large.

Take care,
Eileen

----------------------
Aug 1997 unknown primary, Stage III
mets to 1 lymph node in neck; rt ND, 36 XRT rad
Aug 2001 tiny tumor on larynx, Stage I total laryngectomy; left ND
June 5, 2010 dx early stage breast cancer
June 9, 2011 SCC 1.5 cm hypo pharynx, 70% P-16 positive, no mets, Stage I
Eileen #89537 02-05-2009 11:08 AM

Is your concern the cisplatin given weekly in smaller doses, rather than in 3 to 4 larger doses over the course of treatment? Giving smaller doses weekly appears to be the latest standard -- based on the postings of others here, such a schedule may serve to ameliorate some of cisplatin's side effects.

Leslie

April 2006: Husband dx by dentist with leukoplakia on tongue. Oral surgeon's biopsy 4/28/06: Moderate dysplasia; pathology report warned of possible "skip effect." ENT's excisional biopsy (got it all) 5/31/06: SCC in situ/small bit superficially invasive. Early detection saves lives.
Leslie B #89538 02-05-2009 11:15 AM
Gold Member (200+ posts)
OP Offline
Gold Member (200+ posts)

No that doesn't bother me. It's the using Cisplatin only, not in combinat ion 5-Fu. He told me there were no definitive studies showing one is better than the other. But my reading on the interent says "most" show increased survival time.

I feel I only have one shot at this. I'm worried that I'm getting a "standard" protocal rather than a "personal" treatment regimen. This is not HPV where chances of survival is greater, this is unfortunately a smoker's tumor.

Sandy 56, BOT SCC Biopsy 1/21/09 Stage 3, T3NXM0.
Finished 3 cycle induction chemotherapy 4/7/09. (Chisplatin, 5-fu and Texotere). Re-staged 4/20/09,(very successful.) Will start Carboplatin/radiation 2 Gy/5 days/7 weeks (Tomotherapy) starting May 4th. Finished 6/22/09.
OCF member/supporter

SandySt. #89539 02-05-2009 11:30 AM

Sandy,

First let me say that I understand what a wrenching time this is...I still say, it was the hardest part of our whole experience with OC...the waiting and slugging thru the DX process.

Perhaps there is another facility nearby....I know JH is considered tops, but I was able to get an appt at Moffitt CC in Tampa within a week of calling. Thankfully, Moffitt's team backed up what the local doctors were prescribing (and knew them)and made it possible for us to get treatment locally. We are still seeing the Moffitt team for followups. In other words, it just might give you peace of mind to have another opinion.

As you can see by my signature, Bill received Cisplatin and Taxol weekly along with rads, no Erbitux. He had no nodal involvement.

I wish you the best thru this process...it is so stressful. The bottom line is you do the best you can to get a good treatment plan in place and then you have to trust your decision and your docs and go with it.

Hugs, Deb

Deb..caregiver to husband, age 63 at diagnosis, former smoker who quit in 1997.
DIAGNOSIS: 6/26/07 SCC right tonsil/BOT T4N0M0
TREATMENT START: 8/9/07 cisplatin/taxol X 7..IMRT twice daily X 31.5.
TREATMENT END: 10/1/07
PEG OUT: 1/08
PORT OUT: 4/09
FOLLOWUP: Now only annual exams. ALL CLEAR!

Passed away 1/7/17 RIP Bill
Gold Member (200+ posts)
Gold Member (200+ posts)

I was one of those that only got one official opinion for my treatment plan. Although, my doctors brought everything before the tumor board and talked on the phone with some folks from MD Anderson because they have close ties with them. So you may ask if your doctor could do the same for you? I can't really help you out with your treatment plan though - I had surgery first (partial glossectomy and bilateral neck dissection because of a positive node) and then radiation with Carboplatin (weekly dose).

Stephanie, 23, SCC on the right side of my tongue, surgery on 5-19-08, over half my tongue removed, free flap constructed from my forearm, bilateral neck dissection, one positive node. Radiation (32) and chemo (carboplatin) started on 6-16-08. Recurrence 4/09 in lungs.

**** Stephanie passed away 12.15.09.... RIP our dear friend****

Senior Patient Advocate
Senior Patient Advocate

Sandy,

IMO if they are going to go with weekly Cisplatin concurrent with 70 or 72 gys of radiation using IMRT then go for it. That's the same Tx I had except back in my day the big bags of Cis were used which did cause me some problems. I don't believe any 2nd, 3rd or 4th opinion is going to change this recommended Tx plan.

David

Age 58 at Dx, HPV16+ SCC, Stage IV BOT+2 nodes, non smoker, casual drinker, exercise nut, Cisplatin x 3 & concurrent IMRT x 35,(70 Gy), no surgery, no Peg, Tx at Moffitt over Aug 06. Jun 07, back to riding my bike 100 miles a wk. Now doing 12 Spin classes and 60 outdoor miles per wk. Nov 13 completed Hilly Century ride for Cancer, 104 miles, 1st Place in my age group. Apr 2014 & 15, Spun for 9 straight hrs to raise $$ for YMCA's Livestrong Program. Certified Spin Instructor Jun 2014.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Brian Hill 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916, Megm37
13,103 Registered Users