Just met my medical oncologist. He's Hopkins trained and resume very impressive. But I just don't know what to think.
I called Johns Hopkins about a 2nd opinion, but it will take 3 weeks, and I don't want to delay treatment.

I have a very large tumor at the base of my tongue (Pet Scan 4x3x4cm approx)and also showed 3 very small nodes (8mm)with possible hypermetabolic activity. There is also a possibility of a false/positve read. Cannot feel them manually. No other cancer throughout my body.

Dr. said that he's working for a "cure". Wants to do a reduced dose of Cisplatin weekly as opposed to the 3-4 interval doses. Seems to be his stardard regimen. Also he couldn't give me a definite staging. Said it could be 111,Iva or Ivb depending on the lymph nodes, and that radiation will take care of them.

Unfortunately, I can't get an appointment with Johns Hopkins until the end of February, and I don't want to wait to start radiation as it's radiation, more so than chemo, that kills the cancer.

They want to start me next week. I'm not sure what to do or where to go.

Thanks
Sandy

Sandy 56, BOT SCC Biopsy 1/21/09 Stage 3, T3NXM0.
Finished 3 cycle induction chemotherapy 4/7/09. (Chisplatin, 5-fu and Texotere). Re-staged 4/20/09,(very successful.) Will start Carboplatin/radiation 2 Gy/5 days/7 weeks (Tomotherapy) starting May 4th. Finished 6/22/09.
OCF member/supporter