Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 7 of 15 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 14 15
"OCF across the pond"
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)
"OCF across the pond"

Hi Bren
good on you girl,but really co codamol isnt much of a pain killer for your pain levels,and splitting them up to take plain codeine may not be a brilliant idea as codeine causes a multitude of problems on its own ,including constipation,dry mouth and drowsiness.I still beleive you should be going for a long acting patch,which may cause minor problems for the first day or so,but if it works is so worth it.

As for macmillan..you know how great i think they are so ;isten to what they say.

good luck for tomorrow

love liz

Liz in the UK

Husband Robin aged 44 years Dx 8th Dec 2006 poorly differentiated SCC tongue with met to neck T1N2cM0 Surgery and Radiation.Finished TX April 2007
Recurrence June/07 died July 29th/07.

Never take your eye off the ball, it may just smack you in the mouth.
"Above & Beyond" Member (300+ posts)
OP Offline

It's now 4.40 a.m Liz and am LONGING for a patch!
But how would Ray know if I was 'loopy' from the patch and just normally loopy??????
Get packing!
Bren x

Brenda in UK--Diagnosis 30/5/07--undifferentiated carcinoma in right jawbone and muscles. Stage 4
6/7/07--new diagnosis primary is in lung. Finished 4cycles of palliative carboplatin/gemcitabine
therapy September 07
Now dying to live!
"OCF Canuck"
"OCF Canuck"

Thank God Bren...I hated to think of you being there without the correct prescriptions when they are so readily available! Take as directed and make sure you are "assertive" about getting renewals when you are getting low. Well Done. Donna

Donna,69, SCC L Tongue T2N1MO Stg IV 4/04 w/partial gloss;32 radtx; T2N2M0 Stg IV; R tongue-2nd partial gloss w/graft 10/07; 30 radtx/2 cispl 2/08. 3rd Oral Cancer surgery 1/22 - Stage 1. 2022 surgery eliminated swallowing and bottom left jaw. Now a “Tubie for Life”.no food envy - Thank God! Surviving isn't easy!!!! .Proudly Canadian - YES, UNIVERSAL HEALTH CARE IS WONDERFUL! (Not perfect but definitely WONDERFUL)
OP Offline

More action today! My son was in his usual slot--'ring mum from car whilst commuting' and we were chatting when call came through on landline--McMillan nurse to ask about pain, what I'm taking, how to take it, maximum dosages etc.
She said I'm really on seriously 'low' stuff and we agreed that after excisional tomorrow, on seriously painful lump, am likely to be in even more pain there when anaesthetic wears off, as well as the 'side pain' which stops me lying down comfortably.
So I'm gonna start from now getting up to today's 'maximum' dose, and take 2 diazepam tonight (that adds uo to a whole 4mg!).
She said sleepiness may be a problem----oh YES, PLEASE!
Want to sleep like a log, if only for one night and drift happily and dozily into the hospital tomorrow (which has just closed 2 more wards because of Norovirus).
Am hoping to be able to 'fly-up' and hitch a ride on Liz's plane whilst they're cutting into me!!!
Brenda

Brenda in UK--Diagnosis 30/5/07--undifferentiated carcinoma in right jawbone and muscles. Stage 4
6/7/07--new diagnosis primary is in lung. Finished 4cycles of palliative carboplatin/gemcitabine
therapy September 07
Now dying to live!
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

Brenda,, the best of the best to you for tomorrow and may God be guiding the Drs in the right direction to make you beat this garbage. Love and prayers. The old guy.

Since posting this. UPMC, Pittsburgh, Oct 2011 until Jan. I averaged about 2 to 3 surgeries a week there. w Can't have jaw made as bone is deteroriating steaily that is left in jaw. Mersa is to blame. Feeding tube . Had trach for 4mos. Got it out April.
--- Passed away 5/14/14, will be greatly missed by everyone here

Hi Brenda, it is about 2.45 at home and I am hoping you are having a well deserved sleep..... I hope all goes well tomorrow and it is pain free for you. My thoughts and prayers are with you.

Scotslass,friend of June, diagnosed in Oct.2007 and beginning treatment this month chemo and radiation.Cancer in the neck with unknown primary...wrapped around carotid artery.

H Brenda
Hope you had a better night last night?
Send good thoughts to you..
Sunshine.. love and hugs
Helen

SCC Base of tongue, (TISN0M0) laser surgery, 10/01 and 05/03 no clear margins. Radial free flap graft to tonsil pillar, partial glossectomy, left neck dissection 08/04
OP Offline

Thanks Helen,
No was another lousy night in spite of more medication.
Just had a bath and found yet another swollen node under my arm--is it worth bothering with this biopsy, I ask myself, when it's so obvious what's going on???
Shaking so much can hardly type, but just loaded up 4 mg. diazepam and 2 co-codamol, then will don my MP3 with relaxation and head for the hills!
Brenda

therapy September 07
Now dying to live!

Hi Brenda,
By now, the biopsy should be over. I am hoping they 'knocked you out' with something when they did it. Is it possible the biopsy will relieve some of the pain you are having. Are the new meds helping at all? I hope you can finally get some sleep.

Take care,
Eileen

----------------------
Aug 1997 unknown primary, Stage III
mets to 1 lymph node in neck; rt ND, 36 XRT rad
Aug 2001 tiny tumor on larynx, Stage I total laryngectomy; left ND
June 5, 2010 dx early stage breast cancer
June 9, 2011 SCC 1.5 cm hypo pharynx, 70% P-16 positive, no mets, Stage I
OP Offline

Well--yup--biopsy is over!
6 needles rammed in for local anaesthetic, really sorry about the nurse's fingers being broken!--LOL!--then I cried and shook--first time in 6 months!
Fortunately didn't feel a thing once I was numb, so now stitched up, very sore now 'local' has worn off--and adhesive dressing has trapped some hair--OUCH!
Biopsy marked 'urgent' so should get--via plastic surgeon-- to Oncologist for my next appt on jan 30th.
Don't think it will make too much difference pain-wise, so many other sites of pain--found 2 new lumps today as well--one more in front neck and large painful one in armpit--don't think there's a node in my body not involved--or won't be in the next few weeks!
MacMillan nurse coming Friday morning to evaluate pain and suggest options/dosing/changing to patch--am in enough of a state to be open to anything!
Thanks everyone for your concern!

Brenda

therapy September 07
Now dying to live!
Page 7 of 15 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 14 15

Moderated by  Brian Hill 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members