Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Platinum Member (200+ posts)
Platinum Member (200+ posts)

Hey Nannygranny, I've read most of those books, and there is a lot of good items to think through in them... Of course, at this point, any old food that I can get down and that isn't too spicy or too rough on my mouth is fine by me...

Tongue cancer (SCC), diagnosed Oct. 2003 (T2 N0 M0). Surgery to remove tumor. IMRT Radiation 30x in Dec 2003 - Jan. 2004. Recurrence lymph node - radical neck dissection June 2004. Second round of rad/chemo treatments ended Sept. 2004.
OCF Founder
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
OCF Founder

As to the sources mentioned above, I would seer clear of the Lorraine Day MD stuff. First, she is in the BUSINESS of selling her ideas on infomercials on TV, that in itself make her suspect in my book, but she is also mentioned in Quackwatch, and other sites that debunk this kind of thing. I have seen her presentation personally, and it is full of half truths and unsubstanciated suppositions. True she did survive a breast cancer, but despite her claims, it was not without surgery, (she claims that the surgery was to biopsy only) and not only through her diet recommendations. As to her faith healing her, we have all discussed this before, and that part of her story is to be taken by the faithful as a miracle, or by the skeptical as another tool to bring in the sales of her books and tapes.

Brian, stage 4 oral cancer survivor. OCF Founder and Director. The first responsibility of a leader is to define reality. The last is to say thank you. In between, the leader is a servant.

Any comments regarding Dr. Peter D'Adamo and his book Eat right 4 your type. What he is referring to is your blood type.

Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)

Fourhits, I think that theory has been pretty well debunked, although if I remember correctly, none of the diets by blood type were particularly harmful if followed, just not necessarily beneficial.

Gold Member (100+ posts)
Gold Member (100+ posts)

AMK -

Great to hear Kim is progressing. Between each "phase", I had pretty bad days myself. As you said, they are normal. It really helped to have my husband cheering me on during the good days, but it also helped to have him talk to me on the bad. It helped me from going into a deeper depression, or would snap me out of any current one.

Keep us posted - we're rooting her on the whole way!!

Sabrina

AMK,

I am glad to hear more encouraging news about Kim's treatments. As much as I love shopping it is too bad I didn't win the lottery during treatment to make sure I could shop more!

Ed

SCC Stage IV, BOT, T2N2bM0
Cisplatin/5FU x 3, 40 days radiation
Diagnosis 07/21/03 tx completed 10/08/03
Post Radiation Lower Motor Neuron Syndrome 3/08.
Cervical Spinal Stenosis 01/11
Cervical Myelitis 09/12
Thoracic Paraplegia 10/12
Dysautonomia 11/12
Hospice care 09/12-01/13.
COPD 01/14
Intermittent CHF 6/15
Feeding tube NPO 03/16
VFI 12/2016
ORN 12/2017
Cardiac Event 06/2018
Bilateral VFI 01/2021
Thoracotomy Bilobectomy 01/2022
Bilateral VFI 05/2022
Total Laryngectomy 01/2023

I agree with Brian on the Lorraine Day video. The fact that she survived is inspirational and she shows photos of the tumor she had. And she certainly doesn't look her age of 64. It's not that what she did is bad, most of it is probably good for us, but for me she lacked credibility, was trying to sell videos, and was too simplistic. Her ten rules will not be a cure for very many, I don't believe, but she would have you think so. Some information such as cancer never being genetic is just plain wrong.

Nannygranny6

amk813 Offline OP
Contributing Member (25+ posts)
OP Offline

A lot has happened since I last updated you all on Kim'c condition. She has had 2 chemo treatments and she seemed to respond well to them - no serious side effects other than fatigue, which was great.

The evening after her second treatment, Kim had a plug in her trach and she couldn't breathe. My dad called 911, and my mom was trying to call Kim down to give her a breathing treatment, but Kim was too scared and worked up. She actually pulled her trach out while waiting for the EMT. They did put another trach in that night and so far so good.

A week ago, she had a port put in her chest so that they could administer the chemo. They surgery to implant the port went well. Kim came home that same day and slept for a good part of the day. She was told not to shower until the following Tuesday to prevent any infection or irritation to the area.

On Monday, Spet 6th (Labor Day), my mom called to inform me that Kim had a fever of 103 and she was coughing up a greenish-yellow phelm from her trach. The last time she had this fluid it was from an infection. She called Kim's nurse and was directed to take Kim to the emergency room because her port could be infected.

Kim was not happy by any means. The last place she wanted to go was to the hospital since everytime she goes to the emergency room, she gets bad news and ends up staying in the hosiptal for days or weeks.

She was admitted to the hospital and they found an infection, but they weren't sure if it was from the port or if it was an upper respiratory infection. They put her on antibiotics and kept her until Thursday.

Kim is home now, but she is not doing as well as we all hoped. She has side effects from the anti biotics (head aches, nausea, vomitting). My mom thinks that Kim is swelling more and that Kim's cancer is spreading. I am hoping that it isn't and that the swelling is a side effect from the chemo. I'm hoping that this chemo kicks butt! The doctors didn't say anything about it spreading, but my mom has a gut feeling.

A white cottage cheese like substance discharges from Kim's swollen neck when she puts pressure on it. We were hoping that it was from infection, but Kim's doctor said that it's from the cancer eating at Kim's neck - not the greatest news to hear.

Kim sleeps a lot right now and has bad head aches daily. I really wish there was a way to make all of this go away for her. I know she has only had 2 chemo treatments, but I guess I was hoping for a miracle - that this chemo will work. I don't want to believe that there is any option other than survival and beating this. Please keep Kim in your prayers, as we have all of you in ours.

I signed her up with chemo angels, but I guess her application was not accepted since we haven't heard anything in a month.

I will keep you updated as her treatments continue.

God Bless!

**Does anyone know where I could get her a bracelet that signifies Oral Cancer. I have seen breast Cancer bracelets, but no oral cancer. I know she is looking for anythig out there.

Sister of Kim, a 24 year old cancer fighter diagnosed on 12/5/04, who fought strong and hard and died with dignity and honor on 1/3/05.

Dear AMK,

I am so sorry your sister Kim is suffering with all the treatments and the cancer. I can relate to her feelings of no hope. It is diffucult to turn that emotion off. Anti-drpressants take awhile to kick in. Two to three weeks is what i've heard on this website. I am praying that she responds to her treatment to give her more time.

Best Wishes, Danny Boy

Daniel Bogan DX 7/16/03 Right tonsil,SCC T4NOMO. right side neck disection, IMRT Radiation x 33.

Recurrance in June 05 in right tonsil area. Now receiving palliative chemo (Erbitux) starting 3/9/06

Our good friend and loved member of the forum has passed away RIP Dannyboy 7-16-2006
amk813 Offline OP
OP Offline

Just wanted to update you all about Kim. It's been really rough for her. She has a terrible infection - the infection really surfaced labor day weekend, and she was put on antibiotics (2 different kinds), but they didn't work. On Saturday (after the horrible flooding), the nurse came and noticed that Kim has a hole in her neck. Instead of the fluid draining from her trach, it's coming out of the hole. She suggested that we make an appointment with Kim's oncologist.

So Monday, Kim goes in and he says that the hole is due to the effects of the radiation, surgery, and chemo. Basically the skin is just being eaten. He even thought that the chemo was working. (Good News!)

On Tuesday, she went to chemo, and the doctor was concerned that Kim wasn't gaining any weight and that she still wasn't feeling good. He took a CT scan and saw some dark areas. He's not sure if they are more tumors or if they are pockets of infection. He also said that he doesn't feel that the chemo is working. (Bad News!) He was concerned about the infection, so he made an appointment for Kim to see an infectious disease doctor.

Thursday she went to this doctor. She says that Kim has an abcess(sp?) and that she thinks the chemo is working, but it's also deteriorating her lymph nodes (liquifying them) and that's what's causing the infection. She prescribed that Kim is given a shot of antibiotics daily.

Then this morning while Kim was sleeping, her trach popped out and she couldn't get it back in. She kept trying, but no success.

I feel so bad for her. She is going through such a tough time and it hasn't been easy once! Every time we think things are actually going ok, she's knocked back down again.

Hopefully things will get better and the new antibiotics will clear up this nasty infection.

Keep your fingers crossed!

God Bless,

Sister of Kim, a 24 year old cancer fighter diagnosed on 12/5/04, who fought strong and hard and died with dignity and honor on 1/3/05.
Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916, Megm37
13,103 Registered Users
Forum Statistics