Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#141463 10-12-2011 12:59 PM
Messy39 Offline OP
OP Offline

Hi everyone,

Well in reading over and studying the results of my MRI and upcoming surgery, I have a few questions. I asked my ENT what "bilateral indeterminate submandibular and internal jugular chain lymph nodes" meant. He said it meant there was no cancer in the nodes. From what I've read online, that is not exactly the case. Indeterminate means there is some type of abnormality that should be explored. Is that true?

He told me the mass on my left aryepiglottic fold is very small and does not alarm him much (3 x 6mm). After studying a little anatomy and physiology here, does this mean the mass is on my larynx? He called it a neoplasm. I know the epiglottic folds are actually the false vocal cords, but have seen that cancer here is usually considered laryngeal as they sit right above the larynx?

He was very surprised I have not had symptoms of difficulty swallowing and ear pain, but I had not. Since seeing him on Monday though I notice a soreness right in the center front of my neck. There is a certain place I can touch that is very painful and if I put a little pressure there it feels like it constricts my whole throat with the pain remaining for a short time.

Also have this involuntary strange thing that happens when I eat and drink. It's kinda like a cross between a hiccup and a burp. In looking back this has been happening for the past several weeks, but I never thought it had anything to do with this. I have been getting true hiccups when I eat bread for quite a while now. I know that spasming of the epiglottis is what causes hiccups so maybe these are spasms I'm having?

My diagnostic procedure is an MDL with biopsy. What is an MDL? It is possible that he would biopsy my nodes while in there too? He said he would not be biopsying my epiglottis. Can they just look at that and tell whether or not it is cancer? The biopsy will be of my lingual tonsils, with debriefing.

So much for a "few" questions, LOL. I truly admire and value your knowledge here. I realize you cannot diagnose me, but thought maybe these symptoms and this procedure would be familiar to some of you. Thank you very much once again.

Shanon~

Messy39 #141464 10-12-2011 01:39 PM
"OCF Canuck"
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
"OCF Canuck"
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

Hi there to me indeterminate... means undetermined... basically they don't know? Sometimes what happens with oral cancers is that there are cancer cells in the node, however, they are so small they are undetectable. This is why a lot of surgeons to do neck dissections, mind you this is depending on they type of cancer, and location. And whether they consider it insitu. A neoplasm is a new growth (tumor - though it doesn't have to be cancerous), and your epiglottis is the little flap of tissue that protects your airway to prevent foods and fluids from their way into your lungs when you swallow, a mass on the fold would concern me too. I know drs don't get excited by small things but I would still want clarification. I am not one who is generally accepting when it comes to wait and see. Is it supposed to be there... NO? then get it the heck out... but that's just me. If he figures he can look at the growth and know whether it's cancerous then that's fine as long as he does something about it. I am sorry I'm not sure what an MDL is someone will be along to share I am sure. I believe that area is part of the larynx, but it's also base of the tongue. I wish I could help more... good luck! with the biopsy.

Cheryl : Irritation - 2004 BX: 6/2008 : Inflam. BX: 12/10, DX: 12/10 : SCC - LS tongue well dif. T2N1M0. 2/11 hemigloss + recon. : PND - 40 nodes - 39 clear. 3/11 - 5/11 IMRT 33 + cis x2, PEG 3/28/11 - 5/19/11 3 head, 2 chest scans - clear(fingers crossed) HPV-, No smoke, drink, or drugs, Vegan

Moderated by  Brian Hill 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916, Megm37
13,103 Registered Users
Forum Statistics