Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#132157 - 03/29/11 03:07 AM Money for dental work  
Joined: Mar 2011
Posts: 1
md24 Offline
md24  Offline

Joined: Mar 2011
Posts: 1
My brother has had oral cancer, stage 2-3. Teeth removed, radiation and chemo. Cancer free right now, but has a serious speech impediment from a swollen tongue. He is emaciated, remains in pain 18 months after the treatment ended, and will now require all remaining teeth removed and dentures or implants. He has no health insurance, is unemployed due to the speech impediment, and is in danger of being evicted. Is there any charitable organization that will assist with the cost of the extractions and dentures, or with rent money? He worked throughout the treatment as a technical writer, as an independent contractor. He has an impressive resume and expertise in his field, but when he receives a call on an employment application, his speech is somewhat unintelligible--he sounds like a drunk. He presently lives in the Atlanta area.

#132167 - 03/29/11 11:31 AM Re: Money for dental work [Re: md24]  
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 2,671
Anne-Marie Offline
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
Anne-Marie  Offline
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 2,671
md24 - I know it can be so hard to see someone you care about going thru such hard times. It's good that you found this forum. There are lots of people here who have been where your brother is and can help with good suggestions. I'm so glad to see that he is cancer-free, and has you to help him through the tough spots. When my son was recovering from his oral cancer, he also had no job, no health insurance, recently divorced, sold all his stuff, and went backrupt. He's doing fine now, and his circumstances have changed dramatically for the better. I'm sure someone else will come along with some more recent experience re the swollen tongue and how long it takes to get better. About the financial problems, has your brother thought about applying for Social Security Disability? If he does this, it is important to keep records of all expenses and get statements from his doctor re proof of disability. Things do get better, so hang in there and let us know what is happening with your brother and with you.

CG to son, Paul (age 33, non-smoker) SCC Stage 2, Surgery 9/21/06, 1/6 tongue Rt.side removed, +48 lymph nodes neck. IMRTx28 completed 12/19/06. CT scan 7/8/10 Cancer-free! ("spot" on lung from scar tissue related to Pneumonia.)

#132176 - 03/29/11 01:39 PM Re: Money for dental work [Re: Anne-Marie]  
Joined: Jul 2009
Posts: 280
CMMoore Offline
Gold Member (200+ posts)
CMMoore  Offline
Gold Member (200+ posts)

Joined: Jul 2009
Posts: 280
Contact the American Cancer Society, they may be able to refer you to some programs locally. Also check with your local United Way offices.

CG to my husband, Matt. Dx June 2009 Stage IV Oropharengeal SCC right tonsil primary with distant metastases. Rad to neck- Surgeries to lungs- Every avail chemo - ran out of options Jan 2012, called for hospice help Feb 2012, at rest March 19, 2012.
#132177 - 03/29/11 01:52 PM Re: Money for dental work [Re: CMMoore]  
Joined: Jun 2007
Posts: 10,017
ChristineB Offline
Administrator, Director of Patient Support Services
ChristineB  Offline
Administrator, Director of Patient Support Services
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

Joined: Jun 2007
Posts: 10,017
Many oral cancer survivors find themselves unable to work in their old professions. Many apply and are approved for social security disability. I would suggest that he apply immediately.

Some church organizations will assist with rent. There are many places that will provide help but you need to know where to find it. Go to the public assistance office and apply in person. They should be able to help or at least give you some referrals of where to go for help.

As far as medical insurance goes, contact the local hospital about his declining health. It sounds like he may need a feeding tube. Most hospitals have charity programs which will give free cae. You must ask for it, this usually isnt offered.

The American Cancer Society will give up to $300 worth of assistance. Usually that is given as reimbursements towards travel expenses incurred while going thru treatment, or as a voucher for the pharmacy to cover prescription meds.

SCC 6/15/07 L chk & by L molar both Stag I, age44
2x cispltn-35 IMRT end 9/27/07
-65 lbs in 2 mo, no caregvr
Clear PET 1/08
4/4/08 recur L chk Stag I
surg 4/16/08 clr marg
215 HBO dives
3/09 teeth out, trismus
7/2/09 recur, Stg IV
8/24/09 trach, ND, mandiblctmy
3wks medicly inducd coma
2 mo xtended hospital stay, ICU & burn unit
PICC line IV antibx 8 mo
10/4/10, 2/14/11 reconst surg
OC 3x in 3 years
very happy to be alive smile

Support OCF

Help OCF

Shop Amazon and Help OCF

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 30 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Most Online306
Aug 21st, 2016
Top Posters(All Time)
ChristineB 10,017
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
Brian Hill 4,743
Gary 3,552
Newest Members
jnllmairs01, Tara S, hendymore, terrb1958, A Smile
11654 Registered Users
Brag Box
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.6.0