md24 - I know it can be so hard to see someone you care about going thru such hard times. It's good that you found this forum. There are lots of people here who have been where your brother is and can help with good suggestions. I'm so glad to see that he is cancer-free, and has you to help him through the tough spots. When my son was recovering from his oral cancer, he also had no job, no health insurance, recently divorced, sold all his stuff, and went backrupt. He's doing fine now, and his circumstances have changed dramatically for the better. I'm sure someone else will come along with some more recent experience re the swollen tongue and how long it takes to get better. About the financial problems, has your brother thought about applying for Social Security Disability? If he does this, it is important to keep records of all expenses and get statements from his doctor re proof of disability. Things do get better, so hang in there and let us know what is happening with your brother and with you.

Anne-Marie
CG to son, Paul (age 33, non-smoker) SCC Stage 2, Surgery 9/21/06, 1/6 tongue Rt.side removed, +48 lymph nodes neck. IMRTx28 completed 12/19/06. CT scan 7/8/10 Cancer-free! ("spot" on lung from scar tissue related to Pneumonia.)