Posted By: Marica acupuncture re: salivary glands - 05-02-2004 05:30 PM
Saliva stimulation:
I have recently heard on Atlanta TV about a Doctor at Emory University hospital who is claiming 70% success rate with acupuncture. Anyone know anything about it?
Marica
Posted By: Uptown Re: acupuncture re: salivary glands - 05-02-2004 09:28 PM
I read in the SPONHC newletter that there have been successes and I believe I saw a paper about it on this site somewhere. I heard that some people have had a positive response after 10 treatments. I asked my accupuncturist who has almost 20 years of experience in Taiwan and he didn't seem to think it would help so I did not try it.

Ed
Posted By: Gary Re: acupuncture re: salivary glands - 05-03-2004 01:10 AM
This topic has been up before. No one here, to the best of my knowledge, has had any success with acupuncture in regards to salivary function. Most acupuncturists have also advised their clients that it had no benefit just as Ed stated.
Posted By: karenng Re: acupuncture re: salivary glands - 05-03-2004 07:31 AM
I remember posting my response about acupuncture stimulating saliva. In Hong Kong, acupuncture is very popular and I did go for it for about 6 months after radiation. My acupuncturist told me that this treatment has little effect, if any, on saliva function. I went there to improve my nervous system of my hands only. Marica, you may give it a try if it is not expensive. Don't put too much hope on it.

Karen.
Posted By: Marica Re: acupuncture re: salivary glands - 05-03-2004 09:23 AM
Thanks everyone...we will probably give it a try and will post results . At least now we won`t have over inflated expectations.
Cheers
Marica
Posted By: Marica Re: acupuncture re: salivary glands - 05-21-2004 07:13 PM
We had our first visit to the acupuncturist today.
He is a radiation oncology professor at Emory University Hospital in Atlanta.
Two needles in each ear , one in each index finger, one on jaw and one under jaw. They were left in for an hour. Pete actually had saliva threads in his mouth after treatment and it stayed moist for a couple of hours.
We have decided to stay with it for a few weeks , he will be getting treatments twice a week for about a month then easing off as we see how he progresses. I will let you know how we do, fingers crossed!!
Marica

Husband stage IV SCC base of tongue diagnosed April 2003 finished treatment July 2003
Posted By: Uptown Re: acupuncture re: salivary glands - 05-21-2004 11:23 PM
Marica,

I am thrilled at the success already. Just remember the movie, Peter Pan, with Robin Williams and the kids. They kept trying to convince Peter Pan he could fly. Eventually they told him the secret...YOU GOT TO BELIEVE! Please keep us posted.

Ed
Posted By: Marica Re: acupuncture re: salivary glands - 05-23-2004 05:41 PM
We believe Ed...WE BELIEVE....
will keep you posted .Today Sunday ...still has some saliva! WwoooHooo.
Marica
Posted By: Marica Re: acupuncture re: salivary glands - 06-22-2004 09:54 PM
Pete has completed his course of accupuncture treatments. He definately has more saliva but he is not yet willing to say it is because of treatment. The Doc has suggested he not have any for a few weeks to see if he can tell a difference.
I have heard so many stories of spontaneous reoccurence of saliva that I dont know what to think myself! Iam just grateful he has it ..I dont care where it came from!
Marica
Posted By: Uptown Re: acupuncture re: salivary glands - 06-23-2004 10:43 AM
I am glad Pete has some saliva! Not only do I not care, but I don't want to know where it came from eek , as long as it works!

After learning saliva is 90% liquid or water, I know that my sips of water every 5 minutes are giving me 90% of what I need, I marvel, since I was only an 88%'er in school. I had the record for 88's on test scores all my life, at least 90% of the time.

Ed
Posted By: Marica Re: acupuncture re: salivary glands - 06-25-2004 09:07 PM
Hey Ed..88% is pretty good...who need that other little old 2% anyway!
Hope you are feeling OK these days.
Take care
Marica
© Oral Cancer Support - Survivor / Patient Forum