Posted By: SCCSon Not sure how to start... - 07-08-2009 04:06 AM
Hello Everyone,

I've been reading a number of posts here since last week when my mom, a 66-year-old otherwise healthy and beautiful lady was diagnosed with SCC in her jaw.

Ok. A little background...

After the initial diagnosis from the biopsy, she had an MR and PET scan.

Today we got the news that she is a stage 4 (from the MR read) with cancer in the lymph nodes in her neck. We are waiting on the results from the PET. We do not know if she has distant mets yet...

She lives in Laguna Niguel, CA (I believe that Brian Hill lives there also). At this point I am just trying to find recommendations for treatment. Her internist recommended City of Hope for surgery and chemo/radiation.

Any help or info will go a long way. I'm sorry for the long post, but I wanted to do a thorough introduction.

Thank you all. I think this is an incredible community... I can't imagine support before foundations and forums like this existed.

-SCCSon
Posted By: davidcpa Re: Not sure how to start... - 07-08-2009 12:48 PM
Make an appointment with a CCC http://www.oralcancerfoundation.org/resources/cancer_centers.htm now if it's possible. Do not wait any longer. I just feel your best chances for the best Tx will come from a CCC. This cancer is treatable (read my Signature Line and many others that had a Stage IV) but it's best to treat it properly the first time.

Her Tx will probably involve surgery first, then concurrent chemo and radiation which will involve different specialties so it's important to try and make sure you have assembled the right team to do that.

Read everything you can on this site and you will learn a lot. This site is also devoted to Caregivers so it will help you do your job as well.
Posted By: Kevin - Memphis Re: Not sure how to start... - 07-08-2009 01:31 PM
I agree with David, the sooner the better getting her to a CCC.
Posted By: SCCSon Re: Not sure how to start... - 07-08-2009 04:06 PM
David and Kevin,

Thank you so much.

My mom is going to City of Hope today. I am working on getting her to a CCC doctor there ASAP based on your recommendation.

We are still waiting on the PET scan results, but that's not holding us back.

David - I love your signature line. I hope you're enjoying a little of the Tour and putting in your "centuries".

Posted By: davidcpa Re: Not sure how to start... - 07-08-2009 09:18 PM
Not sure I understand your statement " I am working on getting her to a CCC doctor there ". The CCC refers to a cancer center, not a doctor. maybe I misread you?

We have been having a weird few weeks here lately with am showers and tons of wind in the am and that's when I rides so I haven't been able to ride in over a week and I'm getting out of riding shape. Normally our weather pattern this time of year is clear calm am's with pm thunderstorms which is perfect for me.

Tour is really interesting so far and I'm really surprised how well Lance is holding up considering his layoff, broken bone a short time ago and his age. His strengths were always the time trials and the mountains so we'll see what happens Friday when they hit the hills. If his team can solve it's growing leader dilemma then perhaps he can go the distance.
Posted By: ChristineB Re: Not sure how to start... - 07-08-2009 10:49 PM
SCCSon...

Welcome to OCF. You will find lots of guidance here. First thing to remember is that everyone is different. Surgery is not always the first treatment avenue. There are also chemo and radiation that may be used instead or in addition to surgery to cure your mother.

Its very important to get her seen by a team of doctors at a cancer center. This will give you a wide range of different doctors who will work together on your mother's case. A second or even a third opinion is also important.

Best of luck with everything.

Posted By: SCCSon Re: Not sure how to start... - 07-09-2009 03:10 PM
Hi David,

Yeah, I wasn't clear. My mom is going to City of Hope (a CCC) to see a doctor. They are going to call today with the appointment and I'm thinking we'll have her up there this afternoon.

I'm anxious to see how Lance does in the mountains too... Old man they say? We'll see. I guess after poking at the Germans a little he has to ride hard wink
Posted By: SCCSon Re: Not sure how to start... - 07-09-2009 03:11 PM
Thank you ChristineB.
Posted By: davidcpa Re: Not sure how to start... - 07-09-2009 09:08 PM
SCCSon,

Funny article today on the WWW ranks the French as the WORLD'S WORST tourists. Says they are cheap and arrogant. Frenchy says it's because they don't travel since they have everything they need at home.
Posted By: EzJim Re: Not sure how to start... - 07-10-2009 12:50 AM
I understood what you said a ccc dr Geez David, That ewas self explanatory LOL
Posted By: SCCSon Re: Not sure how to start... - 07-10-2009 06:03 AM
David,

Ha! I guess they have Le Tour... hmmmm. wink

We have the Tour of California here in CA... not the same thing, but hey.
Posted By: Dianeox Re: Not sure how to start... - 07-10-2009 08:18 AM
My husband's cousin had a stem cell transplant and month long stay at City of Hope several years ago. She has had clear scans since then. She said the facility and staff were awesome. I hope you and you Mom have the same kind of experience there...and the same results!

Diane
Posted By: davidcpa Re: Not sure how to start... - 07-10-2009 12:20 PM
We don't have any Tours here in Fl. Probably because the only mountains we have are speed bumps.
Posted By: SCCSon Re: Not sure how to start... - 07-10-2009 11:07 PM
Thanks Diane. I feel really good about CoH.

My mom is going to CoH on Tuesday ... her paperwork has been sent and things are rolling. They have been very responsive.

Posted By: SCCSon Re: Not sure how to start... - 07-10-2009 11:08 PM
Speed bumps! smile

No "Hors Categorie" climbs in FL I guess.
Posted By: AmyK Re: Not sure how to start... - 07-10-2009 11:20 PM
I'm about 10 miles from the highest point in Florida. If I remember right its about 150 ft above sea level. Not much more than a speed bump for sure.
Amy
© Oral Cancer Support - Survivor / Patient Forum