Hi,
I am 41 Non Smoker, Non Drinker but have had HPV since Age 23. MRI ordered by Otolaryngologist showed 2.5cm Tumor in the Upper Aspect of the right Submandibular Gland. 10/6/2008 Had Surgery to remove gland with 8-9 Cervical Lymph Node Neck Resection. Surgical Margins are close but neither Positive or Negative. One Lymph Node sent for Frozen Section during Surgery was Benign. Pathology shows Mucoepidermoid Carcinoma- Intermediate Grade and Stage is T2N0Mx (Perineural Invasion & Lymphovascular Invasion Present). Panendoscopy during surgery was absolutely clean ("not even a pink spot"). Lungs Clean, Brain MRI with Gad clean. Did IMRT (7000cgy 35 treatements) to Tumor Bed, adjacent Lymph Nodes, Clavicle and the Perineurals in Skullbase as precaution. Is anyone out there who has similar experience as my situation is rare? Most MECs occur in Parotid Gland. Any info or contact would be encouraging. I can't seem to find anyone out there. Thanks and God Bless.
I am sorry, what is an MEC, PNI and LVI?
Hi,
Maybe I should change that. MEC is Mucoepidermoid Carcinoma- Intermediate Grade; PNI (Perineural Invasion); LVI, Lymphovascular Invasion
Type mucoepidermoid in the search box at the upper right of each message board page. You'll see several pages of postings. You can click on the names of the posters to get their e-mail addresses or send them a private message.

And welcome to OCF.
[quote]I am sorry, what is an MEC, PNI and LVI? [/quote]

I'm reminded of how daunting this group seemed at first with all the medical "letter-jargon" like dx, tx, rx, etc., in addition to the more or less HNC-specific stuf like XRT, IMRT, free flap, BOT, ND, etc.

asadqureshi, you have turned the tables on us, for sure! <g>
I have the same cancer you have. MEC of the Rt Submandibular gland. I am currently recovering from my neck resection. I had a nerve excised that left me with the rt half of my tongue paralyzed. Also lose of feeling rt cheek. I'm hoping that will get better. I am a non-smoker, non-drinker, HPV neg. I have been taking immunesuppressors for a number of years and wonder if that has any bearing. I am unable to function without them.
© Oral Cancer Support - Survivor / Patient Forum