Posted By: margiec Support Materials for a New Diagnosis - 03-02-2010 01:10 AM
My 18 year old nephew was recently diagnosed with Mucoepidermoid Carcinoma of the Submandibular Gland with lymph node involvement. Any suggestions on how to help my brother and his family? Any good books read, support systems etc. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. THANKS!
Posted By: ChristineB Re: Support Materials for a New Diagnosis - 03-02-2010 04:22 AM
Welcome to OCF. This site is full of caring members who will give guidance and support. The main pages of OCF are full of valuable info. There is a search bar both on the main pages and also here on the forum. I would encourage your nephew and his family to all join OCF to use the best place for oral cancer resources.
Posted By: Cookey Re: Support Materials for a New Diagnosis - 03-02-2010 04:30 AM
Hi and welcome

If you you go to the forum list and read the information for new members this will give you all the basic stuff you need to know about what to expect and how to get help.The search engines are a great tool for getting specific questions answered and the wealth of experience from all the people here will fill in any gaps.Your nephew is very young to get such a diagnosis and his youth and strength should help him get through the next few months which will be undoubtedly hard on him and probaly even worse for his family to watch.
Posted By: Brian Hill Re: Support Materials for a New Diagnosis - 03-02-2010 04:38 AM
Start reading here. http://oralcancerfoundation.org/facts/rare/mc/index.htm

As an 18 year old he is probably a computer wiz.... get him on to these boards and let our survivors talk with him, and through their experiences let him see a hopeful future.
Posted By: EzJim Re: Support Materials for a New Diagnosis - 03-02-2010 03:08 PM
Margie. you have heard already from a few very intelligent people including our founder Brian. Listen to them and you will never go wrong.
© Oral Cancer Support - Survivor / Patient Forum