Posted By: Tracey S Third Diagnosis - 04-07-2013 09:06 PM
Hello, my father has just had a 3rd diagnosis only 3 months following removal of a tumor at the base of his tougue and partial glosectomy. Orginally, he went through surgery and RT for a large tumor in his sinus cavity. Now he has had positive biopsies in lymph nodes on both sides of his next and another tumor emerging from his jaw. As you all know, he has had exhaustive amounts of difficult recovery from cancer removal, bone and skin grafts,use of PEG difficulty speaking,etc. He is 85 and says hs is "done." My question - are there any resources for people who decide not to pursue further treatment and what can be expected? He is 85. Thank you, Tracey
Posted By: donfoo Re: Third Diagnosis - 04-07-2013 09:22 PM
It may be early but check with your local hospice organization. Minimally, they will offer a consult to determine what and when your needs will be with respect to making your Dad and family as comfortable as possible. don
Posted By: KP5 Re: Third Diagnosis - 04-07-2013 10:05 PM
Tracey,
I am so sorry you and your Dad are at this yet again. I will let others speak regarding where to go from here, but eventually Hospice would be the best I'm sure. Is he in a lot of pain?
Please know we are here for you to vent to, and I hope you have friends around you to help.
Kathy
Posted By: ChristineB Re: Third Diagnosis - 04-07-2013 11:28 PM
Im very sorry to hear about your fathers recurrence! Its never easy when you get that kind of news. Give him a couple days to let it sink in. Maybe he will agree to at least give it a try before he gives in to this. Its awfully difficult to opt for treatment when it keeps coming back like this. As far as where to get other assistance I can only echo the other members with using hospice.

Best wishes!
© Oral Cancer Support - Survivor / Patient Forum