Posted By: CharlieR Post Radiation Side Effects? - 11-26-2008 05:57 PM
I completed radiation treatment three weeks ago. I am experiencing the mucous symptoms many have posted.

I am also afflicted with a sore tongue. The periphery of the tongue feels "raw" or "burned". There are no visible lesions, and while some have wondered if I am afflicted with thrush, I am not. Some have also suggested radiation "backscatter" from a metal crown, but I have none.

Has anyone else experienced this condition? Is it a side effect of the "burn" wink
Posted By: davidcpa Re: Post Radiation Side Effects? - 11-26-2008 09:32 PM
There are many molecular changes brought about by the radiation in the oral cavity and even though I didn't share this particular post Tx symptom, having the symptoms you described certainly can not be excluded. IMUPO (UnProfessional)
Posted By: Gary Re: Post Radiation Side Effects? - 11-27-2008 07:30 AM
Oh yeah - I had blisters on both sides of my tongue and it was very painful. It took a long time to heal. During some stages the sides of the tongue was just a little more red than usual. I had thrush many times as well but it was entirely different from the sides of the tongue issues. The tongue gets slammed pretty hard when getting irradiated for tonsil cancer.

It will heal eventually.
Posted By: EzJim Re: Post Radiation Side Effects? - 11-27-2008 01:31 PM
Charlie, my tongue is the most sensitive part of my mouth. It seems everything I try to put in my mouth makes it burn and some things make it burn very bad. I just figure it's another sideeffect we have to put up with.. I even hate to eat but force it. I'm just glad to be here to feel it I guess.
© Oral Cancer Support - Survivor / Patient Forum