Posted By: banker018 lenght of pain - 01-26-2007 09:51 PM
Question- how long do people stay on meds after TX? I am 8 months out after radiation and I have 2 main issues: dry mouth and pain in the area that they did by boost.

So I have been on Lortab for about 7 months (I was on morphine during radiation-no chemo) and I wonder how long is too long? Or what is normal?
Posted By: Brian Hill Re: lenght of pain - 01-26-2007 10:34 PM
I don't personally think there is a too long. Pain management is a quality of life issue, and you need to be on the meds until you don't need them... then eventually reducing the dosages over a period of perhaps a month to get off them altogether. Leaving them too soon sets up its own set of problems. I was on pain meds for a year, so without knowing other
Posted By: Barbara S Re: lenght of pain - 01-27-2007 09:23 AM
I almost wrote in yesterday with a similar question for my husband, but he has been out of treatment a lot less long - radiation ended 12/5/06. He had been doing better for a couple weeks. He had been up and about and out of the house and back doing his camera thing on eBay.

He had a great CT scan on Tuesday 1/23/06 which perked us both up. But this week he has felt pretty miserable again - really can
Posted By: Pete D Re: lenght of pain - 01-28-2007 07:14 PM
All of the Docs I have talked to have said the trick with pain meds is to stay ahead of the pain; what you can do if you feel you've had enough is to cut back just a little and see what happens in a week (some meds build up in your system and take a while to reduce; the reverse is also true which is why one has to stay ahead of the pain). If that's OK, then reduce again and wait.

Patience is a virtue here, and I would advise marking the dates/dosage on a calendar because it's easy to lose track when you are on these kinds of meds.
Posted By: banker018 Re: lenght of pain - 01-30-2007 01:56 AM
Thanks everyone for the feedback. It was very helpful. My ENT wants to get me off the Lortab and although my dosage has decreased since treatment ended I still have to take it for pain in my mouth and right side of my jaw. Motrin, even 800mg, is just not enough. I know everyone heals differently but it is good to know that I am not crazy or unusual to experience pain at this point in time.
© Oral Cancer Support - Survivor / Patient Forum