Posted By: Nigel One month on - 09-14-2005 05:12 AM
Colleagues I would like to share my feelings with you one month after treatment finished, early days I know but to me its a milestone.

Its day 28, one month ago radiotherapy finished, the induction of pain ended and recovery began.

I remember that last session, I was in hospital feeling pain, finding it difficult to eat, sleep, and drink, talking was hard and my body had been through hell. My mind was confused, would the pain all stop tomorrow because of the therapy was over alas no came the soothing responses of empathtic nurses looking into my eyes. I was attached to a syringe driver, a nasal tube and pain was high until the morphine cut and stopped the pain taking over my weakened body. I looked ill, people could tell then man had cancer and was unwell. My body was frail and the weeks of inactivity had made me weak. I had nasal drip and it made me cough up blood everynight and my mouth was full of mucus and a thick horrid phlegm. My bed clothes would show tale tell signs of large patches of fluid dribble through the night as my mouth dried out.

One month on, I am sleeping, at least 6/7 hours passes my body each night. I can eat, soft foods only but back in control of my own destiny in the kitchen. The only pain I face is through talking because of a radiation mouth sore which is going. The tubes and syringe driver are gone as is the morphine. The look in my face is of being content and my eyes no longer have that zombie look. My body is beginning to find a definition and walking is now becoming easier as distance increases. The nasal drip that would create so many problems is gone. I can swallow without bringing drinks back up and the saliva in my mouth is returning and the night dribble has gone. The morphine has gone and so as the anti sickness medication. I feel stronger everyday and able to lift, walk, laugh and yawn without feeling guilty, weak or in pain. The mucus has gone replaced by saliva. I no longer count off days and look forward to return to normality because I know I am on my way already.

I know I am not fully over the side effects of chemo or radiotherapy but what I do know is that I am 100% better than I was this time last month, and this time next month will 100% further on.

On the 26th September 2005 is my next big day, the joint head and neck clinic where I find out just how well the treatment has gone, its a day I am looking forward to as I know I have made progress and I know the treatment has worked!
Posted By: Tami Re: One month on - 09-14-2005 08:54 AM
Thanks for your story. I will email it to my Mom and feel it will inspire her to hang it there...the light is at the end of the tunnel. Good Luck on the 26th. I look forward to your posting on that day!
Tami
Posted By: Mark Re: One month on - 09-14-2005 05:18 PM
Sounds great Nigel smile
Posted By: ShawnaMargo Re: One month on - 09-14-2005 06:20 PM
Yeeeaaahhh Nigel! I will share with my dad.
Posted By: Nigel Re: One month on - 09-14-2005 07:13 PM
I forgot to add that the burn, painful, red skin that exposed raw flesh on my neck and shoulders has given way to a light pink patch fully healed and just needing daily cream.
Posted By: Marica Re: One month on - 09-14-2005 07:15 PM
Nigel
What an uplifting post!
You are one tough cookie, I am glad the depression you described in your earlier posts seems to have lifted a little.
Lots of positive vibes coming your way for the 26th.
Take Care
Marica
Posted By: Erik Kleiva Re: One month on - 09-14-2005 11:34 PM
Kick ass! Your experience sounds a lot like mine last year. I hope all continues well! Erik
Posted By: Nigel Re: One month on - 09-27-2005 05:40 AM
6 weeks on the improvement is still taking place. Yesterdays joint head and neck clinic confirmed that recovery is going well, and everything they expected to happen is happening with no adverse things at this stage.

My all important scan is booked for 3 months and I have to return each month.

I am able to eat more things now and the ulcers on my tounge are starting to get under my control. A long way to go but a positive!
Posted By: Carol L Re: One month on - 09-27-2005 09:10 AM
Awesome news Nigel....keep going, Buddy!!! Carol
Posted By: Marica Re: One month on - 09-27-2005 05:28 PM
Congratulations Nigel!

Marica
© Oral Cancer Support - Survivor / Patient Forum