Posted By: Charm2017 Radiation & Ear Wax - 12-13-2011 07:56 PM
When you've had as much radiation as I have (97 GY), it really is the gift that keeps on giving. I just got back from my ENT because I was having intermittent pain in my left ear (which was the only symptom of my cancer the first time). She took a look and started scooping out an amazing amount of hardened ear wax. The right ear was fine with no buildup. Pain gone.
She asked:"Do you use Q-tips?" "Yes", I replied expecting a lecture but to my surprise she said: "Good, now just start a daily swab with some baby oil or mineral oil in that left ear."
That is of course how my dear Sainted Mother cleaned our ears.
Dr. Google confirms that high radiation does indeed cause a buildup of ear wax - plus it's appearing in snippets of articles about the Japan nuclear contamination.
Much better than a recurrence though.
Charm
Posted By: AnitaFrances Re: Radiation & Ear Wax - 12-13-2011 10:17 PM
Absolutely, it is MUCH better to have wax build up (sounds like an ad for furniture polish!) than a recurrence. I am so happy for you that you had a reassuring appointment. That is GREAT news! Merry Christmas to you and your beautiful wife!

Anita
Posted By: Bob Whyte Re: Radiation & Ear Wax - 12-13-2011 11:11 PM
I have the same problem and have to have my personnel nurse clean my left ear monthly or the wax is so dense I can not hear with the left ear. Much better and easier then a reaccurence, so you are not alone!! Semper-Fi Bob
Posted By: Gary Re: Radiation & Ear Wax - 12-17-2011 11:51 AM
I have the same issue. My ENT advises [i]not[/i] to use Q-tips as it only pushes the wax into the ear. Loud music (or exposure to loud sound) will also can a high wax buildup. I am a working musician so radiation or band? Who knows? I have the ENT flush them out every time I see him - that should be part of your exam anyway. There is no way to do this yourself by the way...
Posted By: Charm2017 Re: Radiation & Ear Wax - 12-17-2011 03:30 PM
I should have clarified that my ENT recommended using the Q tip to apply a light coating of baby oil/mineral oil. She explained that indeed just using a Q tip to try and clean them does tend to push some wax in deeper and overenthusiastic users can even rupture their ear drums. That's the reason all the ENTs and even the Q tip company itself say don't put them inside your ears.
However, in her practice with oral cancer survivors, she has noticed that the ear(s) with direct radiation have excessively dry skin tissue that is connected with excessive ear wax production. Lightly skimming the ear with oil ameliorates this and can keep down the ear wax buildup.
I noticed that the NIH webpage on ear wax repeats the Q tip prohibition but does recommend using Baby oil, Glycerin and Mineral oil to soften wax and keep it from impacting but is silent on radiation damage and how to mitigate it.
Charm
Posted By: Gary Re: Radiation & Ear Wax - 12-19-2011 06:37 AM
I'll have to try that Charm my skin really took a hit from the radiation in general.
Posted By: stick bianchi Re: Radiation & Ear Wax - 12-30-2011 11:43 PM
I have had ear wax problems for years. After treatment my ear,nose throat doc complained about my ear wax, he cleaned them out with what felt like a 10 penny nail. he then told me to mix a solution of 1 part rubbing alcohol 1 part white vinegar. i have it in small spray bottle and use it in the shower once per week and my ears are very good to go. i stopped using Q-tips.
Posted By: ESikon Re: Radiation & Ear Wax - 01-05-2012 04:08 AM
I couldn't help but laugh, I get so embarrassed when my ENT pulls out globs of ear wax out of my right ear, I do clean them and find myself always picking at my ear, I probably need to apply some oil. Thanks for the tip!
© Oral Cancer Support - Survivor / Patient Forum