Posted By: walknlite PET scheduled - 07-06-2009 04:26 PM
Well, my PET scan is scheduled for Thursday at 1:00. Now that it is finally scheduled I am more nervous than anything. I can not wrap my mind around this. Likie many of yoy any little pain I have, I get worried about it. I know some of you have said that there is some preparation involved before having a PET. What is that preparation? I was just told that I could not have anything to eat or drink 6 hours prior to the scan and had to drink 16 ozs of water one hour before the scan. Is there anything else that some of you did?
Posted By: Charm2017 Re: PET scheduled - 07-06-2009 06:56 PM
I received detailed instructions esp diet etc prior to PET SCAN and a warning of zero exercise 24 hours before. Here is a link to a list of common PetScan preparations, which I did before mine PetScan diet/prep
Relax, it's easy. the hard part is the potential false positives. Push back on the radiologist if you don't understand it, I had them do the entire report over on one of mine.
Posted By: Markus Re: PET scheduled - 07-06-2009 07:18 PM
It is normal to freak out at anything and everything**. I almost convinced myself that I had a problem about 2 month out of radiation, when I got a lot small blisters (roof of mouth) every time I was eating something.. (=big nothing, minor salivary glands working again)

Re Pet
1) no exercise and NO running around and hurrying before the scan. This includes getting to the center.
2) you may get an oral contrast agent to drink before the scan (for CT)
3) they will measure your blood glucose level and if ok inject radioactive glucose. No big deal, do not freak out because of the strange syringe.
4) you the rest for 45 minutes or so. Try to sleep, you should not talk
5) then the scan you, try to stay still and do not move your tongue/chew or swallow too much. Unless they tell you otherwise breath normally.
Depending of the scanner this should take 20-30 minutes.
6) then get coffee etc!

Best!

M

** of course that presumes that I am halfway normal...

Posted By: walknlite Re: PET scheduled - 07-06-2009 07:34 PM
I only instructions I have been given were to wear loose fitting clothing, no excercise 24 hours prior, and nothing by mouth 6 hours before the scan.
Posted By: EzJim Re: PET scheduled - 07-07-2009 01:41 AM
Take something to read during the 45 minutes. I have had it a few times and never could sit still so I took a book and another time a poker machine. Just whatever you enjoy that you can do sitting quietly.
Posted By: ChristineB Re: PET scheduled - 07-07-2009 01:49 AM
Charm and Markus, thanks for the info.

My center has never given me all these specifics but thankfully from being an OCF member, I know this info.
Posted By: Markus Re: PET scheduled - 07-07-2009 02:04 AM
Jim,
they turn down the light where I go. Your are supposed to rest (sleep if possible) no talking, no chewing etc. ... nothing that may increase the chance of a false positive.

M

Posted By: Karen Rose Re: PET scheduled - 07-07-2009 04:02 AM
I was able to pick a dvd and watch that for about an hour before the PET scan.... go figure!!

It was Robbie Williams in concert - so I was singing my heart out - no piece and quiet for me.

Hmmm sure makes me wonder about some of our facilities here...nothing would surprise me anymore that is for sure

Karen
Posted By: EricS Re: PET scheduled - 07-07-2009 10:40 AM
The hardest part of the PET scan is a tie, waiting for the results or dealing with the false positives...I can't pick which one sucks more.

I worry about every little pain as well, thinking "this is it" at any little lump or jaw pain that I experience...My ENT told me to stop torturing myself and to keep the "F" off the internet sometimes...if only he knew. I love that guy though.

Be well
Eric
Posted By: davidcpa Re: PET scheduled - 07-07-2009 12:32 PM
I was also told to remain totally quiet and close my eyes while I waited in my semi dark room.
Posted By: AmyK Re: PET scheduled - 07-07-2009 01:02 PM
I was told no carbs or sugars of any kind. High protent diet only the day before. I was NPO after mid night. And I was in a dark room for the 45 minute wait. They told me not to even look around. Just close my eyes and relax.
Strange how the rules change from one place to the next.
Posted By: DonB Re: PET scheduled - 07-07-2009 04:33 PM
FYI,
Copy of my PET/CT Prep Sheet:

How to Prepare for your PET Exam

Exam Location: � Sharp Imaging Center - Mira Mesa

Name: _________________________________________________________________
Date of Exam: _________________________ Time of Exam: ____________________

� DAY BEFORE YOUR EXAM

1. Patient should eat a low carbohydrate diet.
2. Patient is not to engage in strenuous activity or exercise. If job is not too labor extensive, the patient may go.

� DAY OF TEST

1. No food 6 hours prior to test.
2. No caffeine or nicotine products 5 hours prior to test.
3. No diuretics the day of the test (water pills, lasix). Take all other medications as normal.
4. No gum chewing, no hard candy, and no breath mints the day of the test.
5. Drink 16-24 oz. of water prior to test.
6. Drink plenty of fluid after the test to flush out the system.
7. Wear comfortable clothing. Room temperature is approximately 72 degrees.
� PET/CT sites � NO METAL ON CLOTHING
8. Test takes 45-90 minutes. Total time is 2 hours.

� TYPE TWO DIABETIC PATIENTS ON ORAL MEDICATIONS

1. Low Oral Carb Diet the day prior to test (should be no problem since the patient should be on a diabetic diet)
2. NPO (fasting) for 6 hours (minimum 4 hours) prior to the test.
3. If the scheduled patient time is very early in the morning (7am) the patient must fast and NOT take oral medication.
4. If the exam is later in the day, the patient should eat a light low carb meal and take their oral medication 4-6 hours prior to the test.
5. Patient may only have WATER ONLY during the 6 hour fasting period.

� TYPE ONE DIABETIC PATIENTS ON INSULIN INJECTIONS

1. Low carb diet the day prior to test (should be no problem since the patient should be on a diabetic diet)
2. If the scheduled patient time is very early in the morning (7am) the patient must fast and NOT take insulin medication.
3. If the exam is later in the day, the patient should eat a low carb meal and take � insulin medication at least 4 hours prior to the test. Please have patient bring the other � of the insulin medication with them to take after the test.
4. Patient may have WATER ONLY during the 6 hour fasting period.

If you should have questions regarding your exam preparations call between the hours of 8:30am and 4:30pm.
Mira Mesa � (858) 653-6130
Posted By: Marlene41 Re: PET scheduled - 07-08-2009 01:11 AM
The techs told me I couldn't even read. I couldn't do anything that could potentially create energy, which would attract the radioactive stuff. They told me not to think too hard, either. I didn't have much in the ol' noggin that day, anyway.

They turned down the lights & closed the door. So, I closed my eyes or stared at the wall for the prep time.

Marlene
Posted By: walknlite Re: PET scheduled - 07-08-2009 01:22 AM
I am not good at sitting still. I think this is going to make me go nuts.
Why do you have to avoid carbs 24 hours before the scan?
Posted By: Markus Re: PET scheduled - 07-08-2009 04:12 AM
You need to have a low blood glucose level, so that when they give you the radioactive glucose it goes to the metabolically most active cells. These happen to be cancer cells, but there are also other possibilities. If you were to be active once you get the glucose it would end up in the muscles that were exercised.

....try not to think to hard.... too funny!!! But you certainly should not agitate yourself.
If you look at a PET/CT scan have take a peek at your brain. The energy source for your brain is glucose and therefore it lights up like a christmas tree (which is normal).

M
Posted By: Brian Hill Re: PET scheduled - 07-08-2009 04:57 AM
Also don't talk.... it will cause our throat to light up, and you don't want that for a false positive in an area they really want to look at. From the time of injection to the end of the scan there isn't anything that you need to say.
Posted By: walknlite Re: PET scheduled - 07-10-2009 01:00 AM
I had my PEt today and they told me that My Dr. would have the results tomorrow. I sure hope to find out.
© Oral Cancer Support - Survivor / Patient Forum