Posted By: JetAgeHobo Follow up Jittters - 07-14-2004 02:58 AM
Hi All

Well, off to the "Kong" tonight for follow up PET/CT tomorrow morning. This one will be 14 months since the end of last treatment, so I'm kind of taking this as a mental milestone, figuring if this one is good chances are things will work out ok.

Have the normal pre-scan jitters, except this time I'm not doing the imagining 7 different re-currance sites like I did the last time. I think by now all the sites I thought were re-currances were confirmed ok. That's the part that scares me the most, the fact that I think things will be ok. Murphy's law I guess. Figure in this case I think things will be ok and I'll get surprised and they won't be. Also not too thrilled with the process itself although I sleep through most of it at this point. Just going to the hosptal makes me feel weak and frail, a mental thing.

One good side benefit, hospital called yesterday with the dietary restrictions, only meat or seafood tonight. So, a big plate of oysters Rockefeller is going down the hatch tonight, if things are going to heck, they're going to heck in style.

So keeping the fingers crossed, want to get to Vegas all in one piece, with at least all the parts I have presently intact.

Thanks for listening.
Bob
Posted By: helen.c Re: Follow up Jittters - 07-14-2004 04:16 AM
Bob
Will be thinking of you, you are allowed the jitters this time, but from here on in no jitters,
Sunshine... love and hugs
Helen
Posted By: nancyt Re: Follow up Jittters - 07-14-2004 06:27 AM
Bob,

Nothing but good thoughts and vibes being sent your way! Take the "Kong" by storm and we'll be waiting to hear your good results when you get back! Have a safe trip and I hope you enjoyed your oysters!

Nancy
Posted By: karenng Re: Follow up Jittters - 07-14-2004 08:32 AM
Bob, so far we are the only 2 members on board having the cancer treated in Hong Kong, a place not many people in the US are familiar with. After what I have gone through these years, I am proud of the medical technology and the doctors' professional ethics here. I am sure you feel the same and am confident that nothing worrying will show up in your follow up scans. Waiting for your good news,

Karen
Posted By: Brett Re: Follow up Jittters - 07-14-2004 12:45 PM
I had a chance to visit Hong Kong in 1991 when I was a sailor in the U. S. Navy. It's a lovely place. Bob, I know all about those jitters as I have a little bit of a case of them myself -- I have a follow up this Friday. Best of luck and keep us posted on the results.

-Brett
Posted By: Debbie Domer/Caregiver Re: Follow up Jittters - 07-14-2004 01:16 PM
Hey Bob,
Praying for great scan results!!
Take care,
Debbie
Posted By: minniea Re: Follow up Jittters - 07-14-2004 02:16 PM
Bob, I have fingers, toes, AND eyes crossed for you. Take care.
Minnie
Posted By: Uptown Re: Follow up Jittters - 07-14-2004 02:22 PM
Bob,

I am hoping and praying for excellent results from your scan!

Brett, I am also praying for excellent results for you Friday.

Ed
Posted By: Leena Re: Follow up Jittters - 07-14-2004 04:26 PM
Bob,
Good luck
Posted By: Daniel Bogan Re: Follow up Jittters - 07-14-2004 06:12 PM
Wat to go Bob, Hang Tough!

See you in Vegas!!!

Dan
Posted By: AzTarHeel Re: Follow up Jittters - 07-14-2004 08:11 PM
Bob -- praying for the best for you... I visited Hong Kong medical facilities in 1992 after blowing my knee out during a summer trip to China. Long story, but I too was impressed with some of the technology even then... HK is a cool place...
Posted By: Mark Re: Follow up Jittters - 07-15-2004 01:03 AM
Bob, We have been here long enough so you know what I am thinking.....

take care
Posted By: Lorie Re: Follow up Jittters - 07-15-2004 01:54 AM
Bob-

Don & I were going thru the say "jitters" with Don's 6-month post-treatment CT scan. The doctor told us he would be able to get the results the same day (Friday 7-9-04) and would call us in the late afternoon. We were happy that we wouldn't have to wait the entire weekend...but "Murphy's law" as it is...we received no phone call with the results. So, as you can imagine we thought of a million and one reasons why he didn't call...#1 on our list was that they found more cancer and the radiation oncologist and the medical oncologist were busy consulting each other as to their new game plan. By Monday afternoon we couldn't take it anymore so we called. We just happened to call right as the results were being faxed in and ....Thank you God...the scan was all clear and cancer free.

I am praying for you to receive the same news...and hopefully you won't have to go through an entire weekend thinking of all the worse case senarios.

Good Luck, Lorie
Posted By: Uptown Re: Follow up Jittters - 07-15-2004 10:50 AM
Contratulations Lori & Don! I am sorry you had to drag it out over a weekend, though. We just can't seem to get off the roller coaster with this horrible disease. Kind of like stop the ride I want to get off!

Ed
Posted By: JetAgeHobo Re: Follow up Jittters - 07-16-2004 05:49 AM
Hi all. First, thanks for the support, finally got home despite a T8 Tyhpoon signal, no boat, took the train as well as everyone else in Hong Kong I think.

Scan came out great, no issues except inflamation to my shoulder which I could have told them, Uptake at the surgical site has gone away finally, as well as another area they thought might have been post dental treatment trauma. Each time the report gets shorter and shorter

Oncologist said "See you in 6 months" ENT would probably still do an exam in the middle of a restraurant if we happend to be in the same place at the same time, but that's the way he is (last "exam" was in the hospital cafeteria)

Thanks again for your support, I pray that all of us can get the same sort of results someday.

Bob
Posted By: karenng Re: Follow up Jittters - 07-16-2004 06:08 AM
Bob, it is indeed the best news I receive today. I have been thinking how you can go back home when most of the public transport comes to a halt in HK. I tried to email you but my email network is also affected. Good to know that you are finally home and the best thing you can do tonight is to celebrate with Nicole. Congratulations!

Karen
Posted By: nancyt Re: Follow up Jittters - 07-16-2004 06:16 AM
Bob,

Great news! Congratulations! Good to see that your doctor is so thorough that he's willing to exam you in the cafeteria! Let's hope that the reports get so short that they have to write them on a post-it.

Nancy
Posted By: Cathy G Re: Follow up Jittters - 07-16-2004 08:31 AM
Bob,

That's terrific news! I guess it's worth putting up with weather and traffic hassles to get a report like that.

Cathy
Posted By: minniea Re: Follow up Jittters - 07-16-2004 08:42 AM
Good for you Bob, now I can uncross my body parts.
Take care,
Minnie
Posted By: helen.c Re: Follow up Jittters - 07-16-2004 09:20 AM
Great News Bob,
Now the jitters can be left behind..
Helen
Posted By: Gary Re: Follow up Jittters - 07-16-2004 12:02 PM
Hi Bob, I have been through a typhoon in the Sea of Japan so I know that's about! Great news on the scan...
Posted By: DanielleO Re: Follow up Jittters - 07-16-2004 12:30 PM
Bob,

I'm soooo happy for you! Thats terrific news.

Dani
Posted By: Uptown Re: Follow up Jittters - 07-16-2004 12:34 PM
Bob,

I am so glad to hear of your great news! I was wondering, though, if you recognized the food in the cafeteria during the exam? eek

Ed
Posted By: Eileen Re: Follow up Jittters - 07-16-2004 12:38 PM
Bob,

That is great news. Time to celebrate!!!!!

I'm not certain I would be comfortable with checkups only every 6 months, especially since you already had a reoccurence. I'm 3+ years out on my second occurance and 7+ on the first and still see my surgeon/oncologist every 3 months. I'd be eating lunch in that cafeteria every 3 months if I were you.

Here's hoping all future checkups have the same results.

Take care,
Eileen
Posted By: Judy U Re: Follow up Jittters - 07-16-2004 01:45 PM
Yea! Bob!!!!!!! Am so happy for you! Sorry about your bad weather but, I know it was worth it!
Congratulations and God bless,
Judy U :p
Posted By: Leena Re: Follow up Jittters - 07-16-2004 04:07 PM
Congratulations!
Sounds wonderful,
Leena
Posted By: Lorie Re: Follow up Jittters - 07-17-2004 03:31 PM
Bob-

Congratulations! I'm so glad there are others out there getting good news too.

It is amazing what we will fight (wheather) to get to those appointments laugh

You are still in my prayers...for a good report in 6 months.

Lorie
Posted By: KelliK Re: Follow up Jittters - 07-17-2004 11:21 PM
I'm sooooo happy for you Bob!!!
Now you can take a deep breath. Please pray for me now because I'm flying out of Chicago on Monday for my appointment at Mayos on Tuesday. I'm really scared that I going to get bad news. I'm so glad to see that so many people are so supportive. Just knowing that there are people out there who know how I feeling means alot.
Kelli
Posted By: Judy U Re: Follow up Jittters - 07-18-2004 10:52 AM
Kelli..........you are in our prayers for sure! Please let us know how it goes, ok?
God bless
Judy U
Posted By: Uptown Re: Follow up Jittters - 07-19-2004 10:00 AM
Kelli,

Hope and prayers for your tests to be the best possible news.

Ed
Posted By: helen.c Re: Follow up Jittters - 07-19-2004 01:40 PM
Kelli
Don't forget as soon as you are back, let us know how you got on.. prayers heading your way..
Helen
Posted By: Brett Re: Follow up Jittters - 07-19-2004 01:57 PM
Great news, Bob. Congratulations.

Good luck, Kelli!

BTW, my appointment well last week. Very thorough physical examination of the mouth, throat and neck (no scope, though) and it's all good. The doc was pleased.

-Brett
Posted By: Uptown Re: Follow up Jittters - 07-20-2004 12:22 PM
Great news, Brett! We must be on about the same schedule. I had one today (9+ months) myself with excellent results. No scans, just the physical examination with the next scan set for around October 8 (end of treatment). Tomorrow marks the first anniversary of the dreaded diagnosis! My how time flies...even when it wasn't fun eek .

Ed
© Oral Cancer Support - Survivor / Patient Forum