Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#9848 03-13-2007 09:57 AM
OP Offline

My mother is 84. She was diagnosed with Celiac Disease in the early 1960's and has led a gluten-free life since then. Last year she was diagnosed with oral cancer and underwent chemo and radiation, finishing both in May. She was on a g-tube until July.
Eating and drinking have remained a huge issue for my mother. She suffers from a dry sore mouth, lack of taste, no appetite and difficulty swallowing. Food is often repulsive to her. Between these issues and the limited gluten free diet she must maintain it is very hard for her to get the nutrition, fluid and calories she needs.
The nutritionist at our local hospital has not been very helpful. She had a swallow study done and then her esophogus widened, but saw little improvement.
She adamently refuses to consider another feeding tube, and I feel like we are running out of options. Does anyone have experience with oral cancer and Celiac Disease? Can anyone offer any advise? Thank you for any help you can offer.

Dorothy's Daughter
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

Hi Dorothy,
I am unfamiliar with what one is allowed to eat on a gluten free diet. My recollection is that she is not allowed to have any white flour products. Can she drink any of the nutition drinks like Ensure Plus or Carnation VHS or are milk products off the list also? Please give us a little more info on what she is allowed to eat or drink and maybe we can ccome up with some ideas.

Take care,
Eileen

----------------------
Aug 1997 unknown primary, Stage III
mets to 1 lymph node in neck; rt ND, 36 XRT rad
Aug 2001 tiny tumor on larynx, Stage I total laryngectomy; left ND
June 5, 2010 dx early stage breast cancer
June 9, 2011 SCC 1.5 cm hypo pharynx, 70% P-16 positive, no mets, Stage I

Eileen,
FYI;
"Gluten-free" as defined by the Codex Alimentarius, a Geneva-based international organization that is jointly run by the World Health Organization (WHO) and the Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO) of the United Nations, is defined as follows:

Section 1.1:

Gary Allsebrook
Dx 11/22/02, SCC, 6 x 3 cm Polypoid tumor, rt tonsil, Stage III/IVA, T3N0M0 G1/2
Tx 1/28/03 - 3/19/03, Cisplatin ct x2, IMRT, bilateral, with boost, x35(69.96Gy)
"You are a mist that appears for a little while and then vanishes" (James 4:14 NIV)
Senior Patient Advocate
Senior Patient Advocate

Carnation Instant Breakfast VHC advertises itself as Gluten Free.

David

Age 58 at Dx, HPV16+ SCC, Stage IV BOT+2 nodes, non smoker, casual drinker, exercise nut, Cisplatin x 3 & concurrent IMRT x 35,(70 Gy), no surgery, no Peg, Tx at Moffitt over Aug 06. Jun 07, back to riding my bike 100 miles a wk. Now doing 12 Spin classes and 60 outdoor miles per wk. Nov 13 completed Hilly Century ride for Cancer, 104 miles, 1st Place in my age group. Apr 2014 & 15, Spun for 9 straight hrs to raise $$ for YMCA's Livestrong Program. Certified Spin Instructor Jun 2014.
OP Offline

Gluten free diet means no wheat, rye, oat or barley. My mother thrived on a healthy 'naked food' diet for years. By that I mean plain meat, fish, fruits, veggies and dairy. No bread, no pasta. Most processed foods and sauces are out.
Now she eats creamed rice cereal, eggs, applesauce, boiled mashed veggies, ice cream. All in very small amounts and all with difficulty. She never had a huge appetite but now she has none. She does drink Ensure, Gatorade, weak tea and water and takes a multivitamin each day.
Carnation Instant breakfast is a good idea. Thank you!

Dorothy's Daughter

Dear Dotsdaughter

I have celiac disease and oral cancer, aggresive perineural squamous cell cancer of the upper lip. I did not find celiac disease to be a factor. I liquified my food in a blender, organic turkey, chicken, veggies and fruit. I refused a feeding tube. I lost 26 pounds so I took MUSCLE JUICE every day and that provided 2,000 calories and in 30 days I had gained 30 pounds. You can find Muscle Juice on the internet, it is not the same as Muscle Milk that you can buy in most pill stores. It is a powder and not expensive. I have only seen it on the internet. My mother found it for me.

PS
If you try Muscle Juice, be sure it is gluten free. I was so desperate to gain weight I didn't check although I have celiac disease and it did not bother me.

"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)

I have a friend whose whole family has celiac disease (Scottish ancestry). They can eat corn products, potatoes, nuts and nut butters, rice, non-grain "grains" (e.g. quinoa), otherwise stick to veggies, fruits fish, meats etc. as noted above. Some types of oat products are apparently OK.

The big issue is that in this country many products that you might think do not contain gluten actually do. For example, the grilled chicken (non-breaded) at McDonald's contains wheat gluten as a binder as it is a processed chicken product.

I noted in my last visit to the UK -- where a lot of folks have celiac disease, as it is most common in folks of Celtic origin -- whole grocery store aisles are stocked with "gluten-free" products. Not here -- yet.

Sometimes taste returns slowly -- you may wish to experiment with strong-flavored products. For some reason, seafood can often be tasted by those who otherwse have problems with flavors. It may be the strong odor (odor contributes a great deal to taste) as well as the saltiness. Maybe try a creamed crab or clam soup -- my husband liked these when he was in treatment.

Gail

CG to husband Barry, dx. 7/21/05, age 66, SCC rgt. tonsil, BOT, 2 nodes (stg. IV), HPV+, tonsillectomy, 7x carboplatin, 35x tomoTherapy IMRT w/ Ethyol @ Johns Hopkins, thru treatment 9/28/05, HPV vaccine trial 12/06-present. Looking good!

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
amndcllns01, Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916
13,104 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums23