One of my friends from work brother, age 57, has just been diagnosed with adenoma carcinoma of the esophagus. He had a history of smoking and past history of drinking. I don�t know anything about his medical history or history of GERD. Thus far I gather he has had a scope and one biopsy and another biopsy is planned. He has not yet had a PET or CT scan so he does not have a stage yet for the cancer. He has already been told he will need surgery and that without the surgery his prognosis would be poor.

He lives in Knoxville, TN and is being seen at UT, I assume the University of TN Medical Center. I see that UT does have an oncology dept and clinical trials including one for esophageal cancer. Is UT a comprehensive Cancer Treatment Center? Where would be the closest best Comprehensive Cancer Center for him? Someone told his family that there is new procedure for treatment of this of cancer and they are interested in more information about it. I have done some limited looking on the internet for them, but I don�t have a lot of information to go on. Does anyone know anything about some new treatment? Where it would be available? How is UT�s reputation for cancer treatment?

I hope to be able to link this family with this site, or if anyone knows of another site they could link with, since you have been a big help to me, but I gather his wife does not have a home computer and I told my friend from work I would attempt to do some preliminary digging for them.

Thank you

Barbara S
C/G to Michael age 64, stage 1 base of tongue SC cancer and a stage one for a couple lymph nodes, diagnosed 09/12/06, IMRT radiation 10/24/06 to 12/05/06 , last PET / CT scan 11/7/11 - still cancer free!!!