Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#9696 02-21-2007 07:16 AM
Senior Member (75+ posts)
OP Offline

It's been a while since I have posted, but I have been following all of the recent posts. I have been praying each night for the health of each and every person on this board. I wish I hadn't "met" you under these circumstances, but for sure, I feel that my life is better for meeting you all.

I had a post op visit back on February 23rd and got good news. Everything was healing well. The Doc actually told me that he'd really never seen a cleaner mouth just three weeks after surgery. I will admit, I was tired of the nasty taste in my mouth and really went to town with the salt water rinses. I was given the go ahead to chew again, Amen! I was also okayed to go back to work. But the best news of all came when he went over the final pathology with me. Remember, they removed part of my jaw and the initial path didn't show anything in the bone. As it turns out, there was a tiny bit of cancer within the bone. I thank God that he took that bone, because if he hadn't, who knows when it would have been discovered. He is confident that he got it all. I had clean margins. I shudder at the thought of that having been missed. It didn't show up on the scans so I wouldn't have realized it was there. I was lucky.

I am falling back into my normal routine. Back to work, taking care of the kids. Back on my eliptical machine every day. I gotta get in shape for that walk in June.

One thing I have learned is that I am not fully happy in my job. It is okay, but it's not what I want to be doing for the rest of my life. I am actually persuing a position at Mayo Clinic, where I received my treatment. I think it would be cool if this worked out for me. A lot of things have changed for me since my diagnosis and I have taken the opportunity to rethink certain things in my life. The job thing is one of them. I know that good has come from my experience and I want to keep using it that way. Even 3 months ago, if you would have told me I'd be thinking about working at Mayo, I would have laughed out loud. Now it doesn't seem so silly.

I will be heading back to see the surgeon on March 16. If all is well, I will have visits with an oral surgeon closer to home. Then early next year we can get on the road to reconstruction. I am not stressing about this at all. I have already gotten used to the missing teeth. I'll do that surgery when the timing is right, though my goal is to be sporting a full set of teeth by my 40th B-day. That gives me until May 2009.

My hubby (Brad) has bacterial pneumonia so now I am getting a chance to be the caregiver. He's getting much better, but I do see just how hard it is to be on this side of the fence. On a funny note, back when I had my surgery, my coworkers presented me with a t-shirt that says "cancer survivor" on it. I wore it to work on my first night back. So this morning, I noticed something on the back of Brad's shirt. In magic marker, he had written "pneumonia survivor." I laughed right out loud.

God bless you all.

Amy

Dx 11/30/2006 Stage I SCC of gum/surgery 01/12/07 resection of the right posterior mandible with a right buccal transpositional flap 3 teeth removed/reconstruction to come in 9-12 months
#9697 02-21-2007 07:22 AM
"OCF Canuck"
Platinum Member (300+ posts)
"OCF Canuck"

Amy, I am SO glad to hear that you're doing so well! I remember how concerned you were, and I'm glad that everything is working out the way it should.

Keep getting better!
Wayne

SCC left mandible TIVN0M0 40% of jaw removed, rebuilt using fibula, titanium and tissue from forearm.June 06. 30 IMRT Aug.-Oct. 06
#9698 02-21-2007 07:57 AM
Gold Member (200+ posts)
Gold Member (200+ posts)

Amy ditto what Wayne said. It is nice to have your uplifting spirit back. I'm still laughing over Brad's tee shirt. Good Luck on the job front, I hope all works out well for you and Brad, you deserve it.
Always,
Mark

Mark D. Stage 3 Nasopharynx dx10/99 T2N3M0 40xrad 2x Cisplatin 5FU. acute leuk 1998.
#9699 02-21-2007 10:04 AM

Amy,

I love to hear great news. I too hope everything works out for you and getting the job you want.

Stay Strong,
Tim

Tim Stoj
60 yr old. Dx Jun 06 with BOT Stage IV. Neck dissesction on 19 Jun 06. Started Tx on 21 Aug 06/completed 33 IMRTs and 3 CT (2 Cisplat & 1 Carboplat) on 5 Oct 06.
#9700 02-21-2007 11:55 AM
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

Hi Amy,
Glad you're recovery is going so well. On the teeth issue, however, I would not wait. I would get at least temporaries as soon as the prosthodontist thinks it is doable. The problem is, in addition to eating, the face caves in when there are no teeth to support it. I had my 16 upper and lower rear teeth pulled and was unable to get replacements of any kind for a year and a half. This has caused my jawline to sag to the point I am now considering plastic surgery. Has aged me way beyond my years. If you can't get teeth, maybe they could make something that would support your face while you sleep.

Working at Mayo sounds like a fun job. What type of work do you do?

Take care,
Eileen

----------------------
Aug 1997 unknown primary, Stage III
mets to 1 lymph node in neck; rt ND, 36 XRT rad
Aug 2001 tiny tumor on larynx, Stage I total laryngectomy; left ND
June 5, 2010 dx early stage breast cancer
June 9, 2011 SCC 1.5 cm hypo pharynx, 70% P-16 positive, no mets, Stage I
#9701 02-21-2007 08:08 PM
OP Offline

About the teeth, my surgeon says that he won't start the reconstruction for about a year. Does that seem like too long? He said that he'd like to have me be cancer free for a year and then he'll put the bone from my hip in. Then once I heal from that, the teeth will follow. I am only missing three teeth though, so maybe that's why he figures that waiting is okay.

As for the work thing, I currently work as a Supervisor for a medical data entry company. Before I re-entered the workforce after having my babies, I was taking classes for Medical Secretary/Transcriptionist. I just couldn't handle the classes though, with working FT and taking care of the family. But I got a tip that Mayo offers a program where I could finish my schooling there. What a cool place to learn this stuff, that's what I was thinking. But the best part, they actually pay you to attend the classes. They'll be interviewing in the next month or so, but the classes don't start until July. Wish me luck!

And thank you all for your kind words. I didn't really think that anyone would notice that I hadn't posted anything lately. Thanks Mark, for showing me that really wasn't the case afterall.

Amy

Dx 11/30/2006 Stage I SCC of gum/surgery 01/12/07 resection of the right posterior mandible with a right buccal transpositional flap 3 teeth removed/reconstruction to come in 9-12 months
#9702 02-23-2007 05:19 AM
Senior Member (100+ posts)
Senior Member (100+ posts)

Amy, So great to hear that things are going good for you. I am wishing you the best of luck for your interview next month, and only the best for you in whatever path you choose. This dreaded disease sure does change our outlook on different things. I feel sometimes for the better. Take care of yourself and keep us posted. Linda

Dx3/20/06 SCC,BOT,1N Tx:5cycles Carbo/Taxol, Rad:35x, brachytherapy:6x, completed 7/24/06
#9703 02-23-2007 07:25 AM

Hi Amy,
If you are only missing three teeth, you may be OK. When you do get teeth, will it be a bridge or implants? I just thought you might be able to have a temporary bridge until you had the reconstruction and could get permanent teeth.

Job at Mayo with schooling sounds terrific. Hope you get the opportunity and jump on it.

Take care,
Eileen

----------------------
#9704 02-23-2007 08:21 AM
OP Offline

I will be getting implants. I was surprised at the length of time involved. When I told the Doc that I wanted to have teeth for my 40th birthday, which is more than two years away, he told me "if were lucky, we can do it." Seems like a long time. He never mentioned a temporary bridge, but my missing teeth are the very last three on the bottom. Do you need a tooth on both sides in order to fasten a bridge? I don't know too much about this stuff, but I am learning. I do have an appointment with him again in March, I'll ask more questions then. There were/are so many questions I didn't even know to ask; this being one of them.

God Bless,

Amy

#9705 02-23-2007 11:56 AM

I think you do, but would have to ask my fancy prosthodontist. Talk to yours when you see him. Meanwhile maybe Minnie can fill you in. She had to wait for her implants, but I don't know if she had anything in between. I was missing 4 both upper and lower so that was my problem.

Take care,
Eileen

----------------------
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507