Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#96099 05-26-2009 04:58 AM
tym Offline OP
OP Offline

I am very worried about my Dad. He is 85 years old and a very stoic person who does not like to show his pain or let on that he is in pain.
As far as we know, his actual pain started 6 months ago. First with an ear ache in his left ear which then progressed to pain in his jaw. His GP sent him to an ENT in April 09 and was told it was TMJ and to take ibuprofin for the pain. Mom reported that Dad was in much pain after eating and had trouble eating. In the beginning of May he had noticiable swelling on left side of jaw. He told Mom he had a lump in there the size of an olive. My sister who is an RN came into town for Mother's day and urged dad to see his dentist as he wears dentures and therefore TMJ would not be an accurate diagnosis. Sister also observed lump to be more like the size of a plum, not olive.
Last week Dad finally saw dentist and he immediately sent him to an oral surgeon. APparently dad also has a lesion on his gums (on bottom of jaw as he has no teeth in the back).
Oral surgeon scheduled a biopsy for the next day and set him up to see a new ENT tomorrow.
We still have no results yet on biopsy and I am worried sick about my dad. If the OS sent him to a new ENT does this mean he has strong suspicion of OCF? WHat kind of prognosis would an 85 year old man have for this type of disease?
Thank you for listening.
Tym

Last edited by Brian Hill; 06-04-2009 03:09 PM.
Senior Patient Advocate
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
Senior Patient Advocate

Eighty five is not a good age to get the flu much less cancer but lets wait and see what the bio says.

Even if it is cancer different people respond differently to the Tx he will most likely get and there is another 85 yo on the site right now. The Tx is tough and the mental aspect is just as important as the physical but lets see what the bio says. Above all DON'T just go with the first recommended Tx without doing your homework on this site and perhaps consulting with a top cancer center known as a CCC.

http://www.oralcancerfoundation.org/resources/cancer_centers.htm

Good luck and remember we are here for your all the way through this.

David

Age 58 at Dx, HPV16+ SCC, Stage IV BOT+2 nodes, non smoker, casual drinker, exercise nut, Cisplatin x 3 & concurrent IMRT x 35,(70 Gy), no surgery, no Peg, Tx at Moffitt over Aug 06. Jun 07, back to riding my bike 100 miles a wk. Now doing 12 Spin classes and 60 outdoor miles per wk. Nov 13 completed Hilly Century ride for Cancer, 104 miles, 1st Place in my age group. Apr 2014 & 15, Spun for 9 straight hrs to raise $$ for YMCA's Livestrong Program. Certified Spin Instructor Jun 2014.

Tym,

Sorry to hear that your dad is having such problems. David's advice to wait of the results of the biopsy is right on. If the diagnosis is cancer check out his link to find the nearerst CCC.

BTW, let your sister know that people with no teeth can have TMJ problems.

Good luck with the biopsy results.

Jerry

Jerry

Retired Dentist, 59 years old at diagnosis. SCC of the left lateral border of the tongue (Stage I). Partial glossectomy and 30 nodes removed, 4/6/05. Nodes all clear. No chemo no radiation 18 year survivor.

"Whatever doesn't kill me, makes me stronger"
Supporting Member (50+ posts)
Supporting Member (50+ posts)

Hi:

My 84 year old father (he will be 85 in August) was diagnosed with cancer on the base of his tongue a couple of months ago. As of today he has had 16 (of his 35) radiation sessions and 3 of his chemo treatments. It is tough but he is getting through it. Truthfully, from what I have read on this site, it is hard on everyone. My dad is doing well with his treatment, he gets cranky and weak, but he will be cured and so will your dad. Feel free to contact me if you want to chat. My name is Chris. Everyone here has been so nice to me and so informative. You are with good people. God Bless.

Squamous cell / BOT with lymph node involvment, Stage 4, HIV-, cisplatin 3 weeks of 7, stopped due to kidney issues and neuropathy,35 radiation treatment started 5/6/09,started weekly erbitux on 6/2/09. Completed tx on 6/24/09, biopsy 8/11/09 clean, PET Scan 10/5/09 clear, PET Scan 6/11/10 clear
tym Offline OP
OP Offline

Dad met with surgeon today to get the results of the biopsy today, it is carcinoma. This is all Dad would tell us. We know he doesn't like to worry us. He is scheduled for a CT scan tomorrow. He will follow up with ENT. Not sure what to expect now...Is carcinoma treatable?

tym Offline OP
OP Offline

Thanks for sharing. Your dad sounds like a fighter just like mine.

Senior Patient Advocate
Senior Patient Advocate

tym,

We need more info about the cancer before we can give you any definitive answers but most of the time oral cancer is treatable with surgery, radiation and chemo.

David

Age 58 at Dx, HPV16+ SCC, Stage IV BOT+2 nodes, non smoker, casual drinker, exercise nut, Cisplatin x 3 & concurrent IMRT x 35,(70 Gy), no surgery, no Peg, Tx at Moffitt over Aug 06. Jun 07, back to riding my bike 100 miles a wk. Now doing 12 Spin classes and 60 outdoor miles per wk. Nov 13 completed Hilly Century ride for Cancer, 104 miles, 1st Place in my age group. Apr 2014 & 15, Spun for 9 straight hrs to raise $$ for YMCA's Livestrong Program. Certified Spin Instructor Jun 2014.

I strongly suggest someone go with your father to his appointment and not because he is 85. We always recommend a second set of ears because there is so much new information to absorb. If that is not possible, have him take a tape recorder so you and he can go over what was said after the appointment.

Take care,
Eileen

----------------------
Aug 1997 unknown primary, Stage III
mets to 1 lymph node in neck; rt ND, 36 XRT rad
Aug 2001 tiny tumor on larynx, Stage I total laryngectomy; left ND
June 5, 2010 dx early stage breast cancer
June 9, 2011 SCC 1.5 cm hypo pharynx, 70% P-16 positive, no mets, Stage I
tym Offline OP
OP Offline

Thanks Eileen..I agree with you 100%.
My Dad wouldn't even let Mom go in with him when he received his biopsy results. Mom even overheard the nurse ask if he came alone..Mom is ailing also and I think Dad wanted to spare her..
He is very stubborn at times but its only because he is thinking of others. I am sure he missed much of what was said. Either that or he is purposely leaving out key information.
Once the CT results are in, we are going to become more involved though he may object at first.
Thanks for responding.. I find this forum very helpful.
Tym

Platinum Member (300+ posts)
Platinum Member (300+ posts)

Tym and Boston - You will continue to find this forum not only helpful, but supportive, inspiring, and informative. Stick with us!

Husband: 3 SCC gum and cheek cancers 2002, 2005, 2006: surgery only. Scans clear after removal of small, well differentiated, non-invasive cancers. No radiation. 4th SCC lip diagnosed 4/13/07 - in situ, removed in biopsy. More lip removed 2/8/08 - dysplasia. 2 Biopsies 3/17/09 no cancer (lichenoids)
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Brian Hill 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
iMarc845, amndcllns01, Jina, VintageMel, rahul320
13,105 Registered Users