Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#9395 01-28-2007 04:49 PM
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
OP Offline

I would like to share some information that everyone can take to their dentist to help them offer their patients the most up to date oral cancer screenings.

Our office just purchased a VELscope. Please check this link and pass it on: www.velscope.com The $5,000 investment seemed so little for what it offers. We just got the light last week and our dentists and hygienists are excited about using it. It gives us a much greater sense of security in what we are doing. This system can help find cellular changes below the surface before they are clinically visible. It is truly exciting.

Well, you'll never guess who was the first one to get screened. After 7 or 8 examinations, I have the most looked at mouth in Southeastern PA.

I'm trying to get everything setup in the office before I leave and have been typing away putting together patient handouts, posters and an email newsletter for our patients to introduce this breakthrough in technology. We've left a message for the local newspaper's reporter that did the story on me after my surgery in 2005, to see if this will interest her.

I wasn't surprised to find packaged with the disposable items used in the screenings, a packet of OCF brochures. Brian was involved in the development of this light and he doesn't miss a trick in getting the OCF information out there.

Jerry

Jerry

Retired Dentist, 59 years old at diagnosis. SCC of the left lateral border of the tongue (Stage I). Partial glossectomy and 30 nodes removed, 4/6/05. Nodes all clear. No chemo no radiation 18 year survivor.

"Whatever doesn't kill me, makes me stronger"
#9396 01-29-2007 04:13 AM
Senior Patient Advocate
Senior Patient Advocate

Jerry,

I copied your post to my dentist. He is a friend of mine and has been my dentist for 10 years. I told him that you were a dentist since your post doesn't mention it.

David

Age 58 at Dx, HPV16+ SCC, Stage IV BOT+2 nodes, non smoker, casual drinker, exercise nut, Cisplatin x 3 & concurrent IMRT x 35,(70 Gy), no surgery, no Peg, Tx at Moffitt over Aug 06. Jun 07, back to riding my bike 100 miles a wk. Now doing 12 Spin classes and 60 outdoor miles per wk. Nov 13 completed Hilly Century ride for Cancer, 104 miles, 1st Place in my age group. Apr 2014 & 15, Spun for 9 straight hrs to raise $$ for YMCA's Livestrong Program. Certified Spin Instructor Jun 2014.
#9397 01-29-2007 06:16 AM
Platinum Member (300+ posts)
Platinum Member (300+ posts)

Jerry (if you heaven't already left for that wonderful vacation) and David -
I have tried to search via the Velscope site for a list of dentists using it (we're in Florida) but to no avail. How can we find dentists in our individual states who have purchased this equipment? Thanks....JaneP

Husband: 3 SCC gum and cheek cancers 2002, 2005, 2006: surgery only. Scans clear after removal of small, well differentiated, non-invasive cancers. No radiation. 4th SCC lip diagnosed 4/13/07 - in situ, removed in biopsy. More lip removed 2/8/08 - dysplasia. 2 Biopsies 3/17/09 no cancer (lichenoids)
#9398 01-29-2007 10:25 AM
OP Offline

Jane,

The VELscope just came out for sale last September and it will probably become more common over the next 6 months or so. My understanding is that they have sold between 700 and 800 units. I can tell you that the $5,000 price tag will keep some offices from buying it.

I just called my rep who sold me the unit. He suggested that you call their main office at 1 888 541-4614. He said that one problem they are having is getting the names of the offices because they go by the registration cards that come in. Unfortunately, not everyone sends them in. So their list may not be up to date.

Anyway, give it a try.

Jerry

Jerry

Retired Dentist, 59 years old at diagnosis. SCC of the left lateral border of the tongue (Stage I). Partial glossectomy and 30 nodes removed, 4/6/05. Nodes all clear. No chemo no radiation 18 year survivor.

#9399 01-29-2007 06:42 PM
OCF Founder
OCF Founder

I have been following the science of tissue florescence for 6 years, and it was being funded long before then by NIH grants. It is indeed an exciting development when used in conjunction with a conventional oral cancer exam. The first working prototype was tested about 5 years ago at MDACC in the GYN dept. But the NIDCR and the NIH to the tune of about 60 million dollars, have been funding research that has finally led to this commercial development. Who would have guessed that human cells would fluoresce when a particular wavelength of light excited the molecules of the fluorophors in them causing them to glow. When they do not behave like this there is something wrong with them. But in the end it still require an INVOLVED doctor or auxiliary to want to be involved in early detection like Jerry, and at this stage of the game

Brian, stage 4 oral cancer survivor. OCF Founder and Director. The first responsibility of a leader is to define reality. The last is to say thank you. In between, the leader is a servant.
#9400 01-30-2007 01:08 AM
OP Offline

I have been asked by the leadership of the 2008 Valley Forge Dental Conference to setup and run an oral cancer screening booth at their 3 day meeting. It was impossible to do something this year as I am getting back from my trip during the meeting.

I have already discussed having a VELscope at the booth in order to introduce it to the attendees. I am hoping to get the company to do a booth, too at the meeting, even though it is relatively local meeting.

Brian I know I will be able to count on you for the OCF banners and handouts, as I did with the Relay For Life last year and will again this year.

Jerry

Jerry

#9401 01-30-2007 03:22 AM
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)

CNN just had an "American Morning" segment, by health reporter Elizabeth Cohen, looking at "5 myths about breast cancer" (younger women don't get it, you have to have a family history to get it, etc.). There didn't seem to be any particular news peg for this segment. The information about the myths (along with the facts knocking each one down) came from breastcancer.org, which appears to be the breast cancer equivalent of OCF and which got an on-screen credit as the source for the material.

There certainly are plenty of myths about oral cancer, and it strikes me that the introduction of the VELscope into wide usage could provide the "hook" that news producers may be looking for. I expect there would be some pretty interesting visuals (i.e., what the cancerous or pre-cancerous cells in the mouth look like under the light, compared with what normal cells look like under it) -- plus information could be offered to dispel the myths (it's found only in heavy smokers/drinkers/chaw users, patients are primarily over 50 and largely male, etc.) and discuss the HPV connection. There are too many cases on this board of people not being diagnosed at an early stage because their younger age/non-smoking history/etc. didn't fit the conventional wisdom, even among many health professionals, about who comes down with oral cancer.

Just a thought.

All the best,
Leslie

Leslie

April 2006: Husband dx by dentist with leukoplakia on tongue. Oral surgeon's biopsy 4/28/06: Moderate dysplasia; pathology report warned of possible "skip effect." ENT's excisional biopsy (got it all) 5/31/06: SCC in situ/small bit superficially invasive. Early detection saves lives.
#9402 01-30-2007 05:31 PM

Leslie....I think that you are onto something very important here! Have you noticed how many paid advertisements there are on tv for prescription drugs? The companies are trying to court not the physician but the patient, by having them question their doctors about new medicines. The doctors find it annoying, but it must be working for the companies, because public awareness of their new drugs forces the doctors to look into them more throughly.

If the Velscope got some exposure to the public, THEY would query their own dental/oral/ENT providers about it and ask why they didn't have the latest thing.

Colleen--T-2N0M0 SCC dx'd 12/28/05...Hemi-maxillectomy, partial palatectomy, neck dissection 1/4/06....clear margins, neg. nodes....no radiation, no chemo....Cancer-free at 4 years!
#9403 01-30-2007 11:03 PM
OP Offline

Leslie, August, et al,

I think it would be a great idea if anyone that is interested in getting the VELscope publicity, give the President of LED Diagnostics a call and tell him your ideas. His name is Wayne Rees and the company's toll free number is 1-888-541-4614.

Check out the website www.velscope.com, tell him you read about the VELscope on the forum, mention my name (I have spoken to him) and he knows Brian very well.

I'm working with my sales rep, but I will be leaving tomorrow for my vacation.

Jerry

Jerry

#9404 01-31-2007 03:43 AM

Thanks, Jerry. I will call Wayne Rees soon. I could at least take dentists a brochure when I deliver OCF brochures. I am going to make a determined push for my periodontist to consider getting the Velscope. He is very motivated, and I think that it would help his business tremendously by being the first/only person in town to have one.

I also want to discuss this with the RO at our hospital, who is very active with the ACS. Perhaps the hospital would be willing to spend some of their allotted community service money on such a device.

...much food for thought.

Thanks for the guidance.

Have a great trip!!! We will surely miss your input while you are gone. If you have something you want mentioned on the forum while you are gone, email me, and I will post it for you.

Colleen--T-2N0M0 SCC dx'd 12/28/05...Hemi-maxillectomy, partial palatectomy, neck dissection 1/4/06....clear margins, neg. nodes....no radiation, no chemo....Cancer-free at 4 years!
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
iMarc845, amndcllns01, Jina, VintageMel, rahul320
13,105 Registered Users
Forum Statistics