Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#93726 04-15-2009 10:25 AM
OP Offline

I have SCC Stage1 in both vocal cords. Beginning radiation early next week. Have read up, researched, but still don't know what to expect. Quit smoking 2 months ago, am moderate red wine drinker. Have very supportive loving husband and son. Guess I just need someone outside this small circle to chat with ...

DianneFL #93727 04-15-2009 11:59 AM
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)

Welcome, Dianne. Almost everyone here has been through pretty much the same radiation tx. 1st of all, eat everything you love prior to tx. It will be a while before you can enjoy it again plus you will probably lose a good deal of weight. There will be a fitting for the mask you will use to keep your head still. It will be a wet mesh mold that they place over your face and you must lie very still while it sets. During tx this will be put over your face and clamped to the table to immobilize your head. Many find this very uncomfortable and have found valium to help. I myself used valium and darvon and still had a hard time. You will begin experiencing dry mouth. Biotene makes a whole line of products, available in most drug stores and supermarkets, to help with this. I use the toothepaste, mouthwash and gel. They're pricey but well worth it. Stock up. Has anyone talked to you about a feeding tube? I had a peg and could not have made it without it. I still lost 50 lbs. Plenty of advice will be coming your way. We've all been there or at least in the same neighborhood. Supportive family is great but talking to people who have experienced this trial is very helpful. Best of luck.

David R. 65 yr old male non-smoker, light drinker, stage 3 or 4, depending on which doc you ask, scc rt. tonsil, 2 nodes, 7 weeks radiation and chemo. No surgery. Teatment ended 3/20/08. PET scan 8/08 showed no cancer.
And now, as of oct, 2010, caregiver to wife, Linda, with breast cancer.
May, 2013, Linda diagnosed with stage 3 ovarian cancer. Enuf already.
Deejer47 #93729 04-15-2009 12:36 PM
OP Offline

Thanks for the reply!! Will check out Biotene. I had the mesh mask done yesterday & it stuck to my hair - they said it was a 'first' - hope that's not a bad omen. I am trying to eat a lot as I am underweight already. I need all the advice I can get from others who have been through this.

DianneFL #93743 04-15-2009 06:10 PM
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

Biotene really isn't expensive. The mouthwash is $5.97 at walmart, the toothe paste is the same price. I never needed anything when they made my mask, just relax your mind and ignore it. Some people it will bother and some not. Dry mouth is a problem we all face and it is hard to get used to if you can even do that. Like David says, eat all you can now because it will get difficult to eat soon. I like David lost some weight,, like 70 lbs and am still down 60. David gave you good advice and has been thru this. Welcome to our home and good luck thru this journey.

Since posting this. UPMC, Pittsburgh, Oct 2011 until Jan. I averaged about 2 to 3 surgeries a week there. w Can't have jaw made as bone is deteroriating steaily that is left in jaw. Mersa is to blame. Feeding tube . Had trach for 4mos. Got it out April.
--- Passed away 5/14/14, will be greatly missed by everyone here
EzJim #93748 04-15-2009 06:42 PM
Administrator, Director of Patient Support Services
Administrator, Director of Patient Support Services

Hi Dianne and welcome to OCF. You will find lots of support from others who have gone thru this. We all have a common bond.

Since your treatment is beginning very soon, my advice is to EAT! Eat everything you can and are hungry for, of course try for good nutrition. Dont worry about gaining weight, the treatments will make it difficult to eat and keep weight on.

Best of luck with your treatments.

Christine
SCC 6/15/07 L chk & by L molar both Stag I, age44
2x cispltn-35 IMRT end 9/27/07
-65 lbs in 2 mo, no caregvr
Clear PET 1/08
4/4/08 recur L chk Stag I
surg 4/16/08 clr marg
215 HBO dives
3/09 teeth out, trismus
7/2/09 recur, Stg IV
8/24/09 trach, ND, mandiblctmy
3wks medicly inducd coma
2 mo xtended hospital stay, ICU & burn unit
PICC line IV antibx 8 mo
10/4/10, 2/14/11 reconst surg
OC 3x in 3 years
very happy to be alive smile
ChristineB #93766 04-16-2009 05:34 AM
Senior Patient Advocate
Senior Patient Advocate

Diane,

Glad you stopped smoking as the stats on continuing to smoke during and post Tx are worse than not smoking. Also alcohol plays a definite role so until all your docs give you the go a head stop that as well.

Being near ideal or even under weight you definitely are a candidate for the Peg Tube and perhaps a Port. Discuss these with your docs ASAP. Until then do eat eat eat and eat like you have never before. Make a list of your top 10 all time favorite foods and do nothing but stuff yourself with them until you can't stand them anymore. If the label reads WARNING HIGH FAT, then pounce on it.

The first couple of weeks will probably be a non event but don't think that's all the rad will do as you will most likely suffer like the rest of us weeks 4 thru 3 weeks post Tx.

During the rad consume at least 2000 calories and 48ozs of water each and every day however you can and that's where the Peg and Port come into play as your mouth will become very sore and swallowing will be difficult and painful. Along that line stay on top of the pain meds. If one combo doesn't work let your docs know and try something else. Along with the pain meds can come the big C for constipation so talk to your docs early on to be prepared for it.

You may loose your taste (about 2 weeks in) and you may develop thick mucous ( about 5 weeks in) and eventually your mouth may go dry (usually post Tx).

Mentally this whole cancer thing will take a tole on you and your family. IMO the mental aspect is at least 50% of our battle so don't let things bother you without talking about them. We are the best sounding board you could possibly have.

Everyone can be different but generally these are the things to watch out for at first.

This site will be like your Guide to Surviving OC Treatment except the guide talks back so read all the pages and ask away about anything that concerns you.

Good luck, I'm sure you will do well.

David

Age 58 at Dx, HPV16+ SCC, Stage IV BOT+2 nodes, non smoker, casual drinker, exercise nut, Cisplatin x 3 & concurrent IMRT x 35,(70 Gy), no surgery, no Peg, Tx at Moffitt over Aug 06. Jun 07, back to riding my bike 100 miles a wk. Now doing 12 Spin classes and 60 outdoor miles per wk. Nov 13 completed Hilly Century ride for Cancer, 104 miles, 1st Place in my age group. Apr 2014 & 15, Spun for 9 straight hrs to raise $$ for YMCA's Livestrong Program. Certified Spin Instructor Jun 2014.
davidcpa #93775 04-16-2009 08:31 AM

Welcome, Diane -- sorry you are joining our little club, but glad you chose to share your journey with us.

David, David and Christine all gave some good advice. Do eat as much as you can ahead of time. Also, keep in mind that everyone is different in the experiences they have during treatment. As you read through the posts here, you will find folks that sailed through treatment with relatively few side effects, and others who had a much more rigorous course.

I did not have a port, so had a new IV every weekday for 8 weeks. Upon review, I might have opted for a port if I had it to do over. I did not have a PEG tube. I ate lots of soup, mashed potatoes, gravy, etc. Lost about 30 pounds, all of which have miraculously reappeared now.

You need to drink lots of water, and rinse mouth with water, salt and baking soda solution (1/2 teaspoon salt and 2 teaspoons baking soda to a quart of water) several times per day. I also endorse the Biotene products.

Also, stay active and stay positive. May or may not impact your treatment course physically, but will definitely help you mentally. I agree that this is a BIG part of the battle.

Good luck, and stay close. Ask lots of questions, but remember that every case is unique.

Jeff
SCC Right BOT Dx 3/28/2007
T2N2a M0G1,Stage IVa
Bilateral Neck Dissection 4/11/2007
39 x IMRT, 8 x Cisplatin Ended 7/11/07
Complete response to treatment so far!!
JeffL #93780 04-16-2009 01:28 PM

Wow, Jim, I pay 11.99 for biortene mouthwash and 7.99 for toothepaste. guess I'll check out Wally World.

David R. 65 yr old male non-smoker, light drinker, stage 3 or 4, depending on which doc you ask, scc rt. tonsil, 2 nodes, 7 weeks radiation and chemo. No surgery. Teatment ended 3/20/08. PET scan 8/08 showed no cancer.
And now, as of oct, 2010, caregiver to wife, Linda, with breast cancer.
May, 2013, Linda diagnosed with stage 3 ovarian cancer. Enuf already.
Deejer47 #93785 04-16-2009 04:41 PM
OP Offline

Thank you everyone for the needed information you have given. I guess I'm fortunate, stage 1, no chemo or surgery & they say 90+% total recovery. I'm reading horror experiences on this site - things people are going through, what strength & courage on the parts of the patients & caregivers.

I'm eating as much as I can, have managed to gain a few pounds. I'm 5'5" & with the weight gain am 110. I'm terrified of the radiation & like everyone else wonder if I will ever be the same person again - my guess is 'no' but that doesn't have to be negative? Maybe I can learn something from this that will help other people - like you all are doing.

I'm going to be asking lots of questions, so if you have time, bear with me. Thanks again.

DianneFL #93799 04-16-2009 06:19 PM

Whatever you will be Dianne, it will be the same person as before. You are a lil thing I would say.. 110?? WOW aand I feel skinny at 160 , b ut I was 220 when this stuff kicked my can. I had to lose weight to fight back. LOL Deejer, I bet you must be buying biotene at a drug store. That's the kind of prices most of them have. Wally is a pretty nice guy with these peoducts.

Since posting this. UPMC, Pittsburgh, Oct 2011 until Jan. I averaged about 2 to 3 surgeries a week there. w Can't have jaw made as bone is deteroriating steaily that is left in jaw. Mersa is to blame. Feeding tube . Had trach for 4mos. Got it out April.
--- Passed away 5/14/14, will be greatly missed by everyone here
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
iMarc845, amndcllns01, Jina, VintageMel, rahul320
13,105 Registered Users