Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
OP Offline

I know the drill, everybody is different, each surgery leaves different scars, results vary from therapy, etc etc
What I don't know is the actual experiences from OCF posters. Wed, april 15 will be seven weeks after my glossectomy and neck dissection and I still cannot swallow anything. My ENT follow up on Good Friday showed my epiglottis "frozen" with scar tissue and not moving. I do my speech and swallowing exercises but don't see much progress. No professional will hazard a guess as to when I could expect to swallow. My ENT recommended cancelling my Barium swallow test on April 29th since I'd probably fail that one also so I can glean that two weeks is too soon to expect to be able to swallow.
Just impatient - I can deal with the PEG, but would like to be able to do some "comfort" eating or drinking
So HOW LONG FOLKS DID IT TAKE FOR YOU?

65 yr Old Frack
Stage IV BOT T3N2M0 HPV 16+
2007:72GY IMRT(40) 8 ERBITUX No PEG
2008:CANCER BACK Salvage Surgery
25GY-CyberKnife(5) 3 Carboplatin
Apaghia /G button
2012: CANCER BACK -left tonsilar fossa
40GY-CyberKnife(5) 3 Carboplatin

Passed away 4-29-13

I was about 2-3 months out of treatment before I even had my first swallow test. I was told my epiglottis was frozen, disfigured and showed little to no inversion. I was advised it was dangerous to take any food or liquid by mouth, even water. After 2 months of doing the standard excercises, I had a 2nd swallow test. I again failed, but showed slight improvement(enough for my PT to allow thickened water and purre'd food). At that point my speech therapist said I would probably see minimul additional benefit from continuing to do excercises alone, and recommended seeking out VitalStim therapy. She gave the standard caveat... that it was expirimental, not proven and benfefit may only be attributed to the 2-3 times weekly sessions of rigorous exercise with a therapist.
After 2-3 weeks of VitalStim, I noticed a marked improvement in my ability to swallow. After 2 months, I was eating 100% by mouth. I took a 3rd and final swallow test where I was told I still had some slight silent aspiration, but I did well enough for them to recommened removing the PEG tube. I had my tube removed this February, 8 months after completing treatment.

Age 33, NS, HPV-
8/01- At 25, SCC on tongue,3cm lesion remvd. L nk diss clr nodes
10/07- 2cm SCC remvd from L tongue
4/08- SCC on L tonsil,tonslctmy,2 wks later PET showed golf-ball szd tumor in tongue.
PEG.IMRT x 35 Cisplatin x 3 ended 7/08. Peg out feb 09 -Clear PET Dec 2010
Senior Member (100+ posts)
Senior Member (100+ posts)

Charm,
I'm sorry I can't help you. I am however interested in the answers you get. I had my bi lateral ND on Mar2. I still don't swollow. I can manage water, sometimes. Everything else and it sounds like I'm drowning. I go to my first therapy appt. this Thurs. Now I spoke to the head of my local H&N sport group who happens to be a speach therapist. She is also the person that intervined and got me into therapy. She told me in an email that I should see improvement with in a few weeks. She doesn't know this but I am holding her to that time frame!
Good luck,
Amy

40 yr old. Stage IV SCC found left tonsil. PET/CT shows cancer on base of tongue, floor of mouth, lymph nodes on both sides. HPV 16 pos. 6 weeks of cisplatin, 43 days of radiation. 73gy on each side.
ND March 2, 2009
reoccurance dx'd Aug 19, 2009
OP Offline

Kevin

thanks very much for the specific answers. I have checked out the VitaStim with my therapist who turns out to be certified by them but the hospital does not have the equipment. since I have 5 CyberKnife treatments after memorial day right up to June 1, I will wait until then to start those as the radiation will just set me back too much, Plus my ENT looked down my throat and say my epiglottis is "frozen" with scar tissue so I will be shooting for October or November to be able to eat something, Very depressing to keep filling up the bag and dripping Jevity, thank god I can use the tube for WINE
Charm

65 yr Old Frack
Apaghia /G button

Passed away 4-29-13
"OCF across the pond"
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)
"OCF across the pond"
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)

I think rob must have been lucky because he never had any issues with swallowing.A pint went down his throat two days after his surgery,albeit a bit slower than pre op and apart from a 2 week spell during tx that never changed.His problem was the pain in his mouth from the burns and also food because it stuck to the inside of his mouth.Hope you get some answers soon big fella xx

Liz in the UK

Husband Robin aged 44 years Dx 8th Dec 2006 poorly differentiated SCC tongue with met to neck T1N2cM0 Surgery and Radiation.Finished TX April 2007
Recurrence June/07 died July 29th/07.

Never take your eye off the ball, it may just smack you in the mouth.
Contributing Member (25+ posts)
Contributing Member (25+ posts)

Charm,

To give a data point, I am 10 weeks out from radiation and cannot swallow anythig more than a small sip. Doc is saying wait 8 more befor he set me up for upper GI endoscope.

OP Offline

Mike

Thank you. It's now been sixteen weeks for me since I finished my CyberKnife re-radiation, (and 7 months since the surgery). I finally got VitalStim going. After nine sessions, there has been a slight improvement but I will know better after my October 1 modified Barium swallow test. I have two more Vitalstim sessions (would have been five but had to cancel this upcoming week since the speech pathologist won't do it until my ENT sees me and concurs that the MRI was wrong.) I have not had an endoscope but will ask my ENT about it next Wednesday.
Still shooting to get rid of this PEG tube by Christmas.
Charm

Last edited by Charm2017; 09-20-2009 04:38 PM. Reason: time line

65 yr Old Frack
Apaghia /G button

Passed away 4-29-13
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)

Hi Charm- Wow what is VitalStim? I'm glad that its starting to help you. Stay as strong and positive as you are!

Tongue Cancer T2 N0 M0 /
Total Glossectomy Due to Location of Tumor

Finished all treatments May 25 2007
Surviving!!!

Hi Charm- Wow what is VitalStim? I'm glad that its starting to help you. Stay as strong and positive as you are!

Tongue Cancer T2 N0 M0 /
Total Glossectomy Due to Location of Tumor

Finished all treatments May 25 2007
Surviving!!!
OP Offline

thanks misskate. I learned about VitalStim from the OCF board. It is the only FDA approved treatment for dysphagia (difficulty in swallowing). It uses NMES (neuromuscular electrical stimulation) via electrodes placed on the neck to make the muscles responsible for a normal swallow response contract. I teasingly tell people I am having "electro-shock" treatment to help me swallow although it is more of a tingling burning sensation rather than a shock. The device is just handheld and cell phone size with a plug for the electrode wires. I have been getting the maximum dose of 25 milivolts . It is somewhat weird in that you sit in a room and try to swallow over and over again while the speech language pathologist counts each "audible" swallow. I started out at 200 swallows a session (45 minutes) and am now up to 300. It has let me swallow some saliva but the real test will be on October 1 with another modified barium swallow test. I failed my first two before VitalStim and unfortunately there is no way to "Study" for this test.
charm

65 yr Old Frack
Apaghia /G button

Passed away 4-29-13
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard