Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Platinum Member (300+ posts)
OP Offline

Just a reminder to everyone that we have 3 walks on Saturday, April 18th!

Cary, North Carolina

New York City, NYU

Philadelphia, PA

You can register on the OCF store, look under current ocf events!

Your support is greatly appreciated!

THANK YOU!!

Susan Lauria - OCF Director of Events - Always looking for volunteers to help spread the word about early detection! Contact me if you can help!

*Brother passed away from tongue cancer in 2006 at age 47, was co-caregiver, he was non-smoker/casual drinker

LETS MAKE ORAL CANCER HISTORY!
Senior Member (100+ posts)

Susan...........I need to know where to mail the banners........asap..............thanks. Claudia

Husband 2/3 tongue removed March 2008. Free flap. . Stage IV. Radiation and 3 chemo's (cisplatin,taxol & erbitux). .Pet scan Aug 08 showed mets to lungs .Oct 08, recurrence. - In the arms of Jesus, July 15, 2009

I'm getting the word out in this area.........Oral Cancer Walk in Hermitage, Pennsylvania............April 25

Claudia

Husband 2/3 tongue removed March 2008. Free flap. . Stage IV. Radiation and 3 chemo's (cisplatin,taxol & erbitux). .Pet scan Aug 08 showed mets to lungs .Oct 08, recurrence. - In the arms of Jesus, July 15, 2009
OP Offline

Thanks Claudia! I did forget the Hermitage walk, thanks for reminding me.

Did you mail the banner? I sent you the address.

Thanks so much!

Susan Lauria - OCF Director of Events - Always looking for volunteers to help spread the word about early detection! Contact me if you can help!

*Brother passed away from tongue cancer in 2006 at age 47, was co-caregiver, he was non-smoker/casual drinker

Administrator, Director of Patient Support Services
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

It looks like the weather in the northeast is going to be beautiful for the cancer walks this weekend. Wishing all participants a wonderful day!!!

Christine
SCC 6/15/07 L chk & by L molar both Stag I, age44
2x cispltn-35 IMRT end 9/27/07
-65 lbs in 2 mo, no caregvr
Clear PET 1/08
4/4/08 recur L chk Stag I
surg 4/16/08 clr marg
215 HBO dives
3/09 teeth out, trismus
7/2/09 recur, Stg IV
8/24/09 trach, ND, mandiblctmy
3wks medicly inducd coma
2 mo xtended hospital stay, ICU & burn unit
PICC line IV antibx 8 mo
10/4/10, 2/14/11 reconst surg
OC 3x in 3 years
very happy to be alive smile
OP Offline

You are right Christine, it could not be better weather for the walks. I will be at the Philly walk this Saturday, so anyone here who will be there let me know, I would love to meet you! Send me a pm!

Best wishes to all the walks and all who participate!

Hope the walks today are all a huge success. Its a perfect day for it. Right now its almost 70 and sunny where Im located which is in the middle of Phila and NY.

Susan and Jerry: Please post about your walks today. I know Jerry is in NY and Susan is doing the Phila walk.

Christine
SCC 6/15/07 L chk & by L molar both Stag I, age44
2x cispltn-35 IMRT end 9/27/07
-65 lbs in 2 mo, no caregvr
Clear PET 1/08
4/4/08 recur L chk Stag I
surg 4/16/08 clr marg
215 HBO dives
3/09 teeth out, trismus
7/2/09 recur, Stg IV
8/24/09 trach, ND, mandiblctmy
3wks medicly inducd coma
2 mo xtended hospital stay, ICU & burn unit
PICC line IV antibx 8 mo
10/4/10, 2/14/11 reconst surg
OC 3x in 3 years
very happy to be alive smile

I made it to the Philly walk today. Beautiful weather, great turnout.
Susan, I'm sorry I missed you. The dental students and staff talked me into speaking at the event, and taped an interview that they said would be edited and forwarded to OCF.
Tomorrow, April 19th, is the fifth anniversary of my last treatment, so so todays walks were kind of special.
The philly walk did get a nice mention on the local news tonight.

SCC Stage IV right tonsil T3N3M0. Dx 08/03. Clinical Trial:8 weeks Taxol, Carboplatin then Hydrea, 5FU, IMRT x's 48, SND, Iressa x 2yrs. Now 20 years out and thriving. Dealing with a Prostate cancer diagnosis now. Add a Bladder cancer diagnosis to all the fun.
It's always something
"Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it."

NYC Walk Report

The weather was beautiful New York, as well as Philly. There was a fantastic turnout and there were lime green T-shirts all around town. I was the only OCF member there as Brian was unable to make the trip this weekend as planned. Since Brian wasn't there, I was asked to say a few words during the opening ceremonies.

The walk was 4.3 miles and I thought I was in better shape. I sure am sore right about now.

I brought the photos of OCF members that I have collected over the 4 years that this walk has been in existence and carrying these pictures with me, as well walking with my family, makes these walks very special for me.

Chuck I'm so glad that you made it to Philly and I wish there was some way I could be in 2 places at once. I've tried many times and it just never seems to work for me.

I want to thank those who sponsored me as well as those that wished me good luck.

With the economy the way it is, I'm not surprised that I was only able to raise about half of what I did last year. But, every little bit helps and OCF can surely use the donations.

Jerry

Jerry

Retired Dentist, 59 years old at diagnosis. SCC of the left lateral border of the tongue (Stage I). Partial glossectomy and 30 nodes removed, 4/6/05. Nodes all clear. No chemo no radiation 18 year survivor.

"Whatever doesn't kill me, makes me stronger"
OP Offline

The Philly walk was just great! Chuck, sorry I did not see you there! We probably walked right past each other. Were you wearing the survivor shirt? I was so busy talking with the students and other families who lost loved ones to oc.
The weather was just perfect! We walked about 3.2 miles, on a sunny day. The turnout was great, I am guessing about 140 attended. Natalie and Ann, who organized the event, did a great job. An oc survivor, Dean Hammond, was there as well as 75 friends and family who came to support him. It was a great thing to see.

I also talked with Claudia from the Cary, NC walk tonight. She raised over $9400 today! She said it was perfect, everything went just great. She had over 100 people register in person! She had about 130 walkers, fantastic for a first time event! She is so excited about doing it again next year!

So it was a great day for OCF! Baltimore wlll call tomorrow and I will report on that one as well.

Now we have the Bethlehem walk on May 2 and Hermitage, PA on the 25th! Come out and walk and support if you can!

Moderated by  Brian Hill 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
amndcllns01, Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916
13,104 Registered Users