Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
traci Offline OP
OP Offline

I posted in the wrong topic earlier.

My husband has been adamant from the start that he was not going to get a peg and that he would tough it out. He has done great through 9 chemos and 31 RT so far. He only has 4 RT left and his mouth is in such a state that he cannot tolerate even water. He has not had any nutrition in 8-10 days but is going daily for 2 liters of fluid.

I would like to hear from anyone else who got to this stage and what their solution was. At this point and time, he is sick of me nagging him about eating or drinking an Ensure. He has lost 40-45 lbs so far but was overweight when treatment started so he is just now reaching his healthy optimal weight but I know its not good.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Traci
Spouse to Lew (59)(5 family members DX)
SCC IVA/T1N2M0 BOT DX 9/08 /Tonsillectomy(cl)/ TX 12/08 (TPF)x2 /RT x35 w 7 wkly (Taxol, Carboplatin, Erbitux) Finish 4/09 / Port /no peg lost 105lbs/ 2/10 CT clear/HBOT x30/all teeth out and implants placed
www.asilentepidemic.webs.com
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)

Traci, There are a few of us here that were able to get through without PEG. I recall very well the last week and it was hell. If he is being watched and kept hydrated I would imagine he can finish. I would think that if his medical care givers were worried they could supplement some nutrition with his hydration. I ended at the weight I was at high school graduation (thin but normal) after loosing 30-35 pounds. Recovery from the oral pain can be fairly speedy. I felt better even after one week (I was able to swallow throughout the treatments).

Mark, 21 Year survivor, SCC right tonsil, 3 nodes positive, one with extra-capsular spread. I never asked what stage (would have scared me anyway) Right side tonsillectomy, radical neck dissection right side, maximum radiation to both sides, no chemo, no PEG, age 40 when diagnosed.

Mark, 21 Year survivor, SCC right tonsil, 3 nodes positive, one with extra-capsular spread. I never asked what stage (would have scared me anyway) Right side tonsillectomy, radical neck dissection right side, maximum radiation to both sides, no chemo, no PEG, age 40 when diagnosed.
OCF Founder
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
OCF Founder
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

I have unlocked this thread long enough to end this posting thread with a comment.

Mark.... you know I just love it when people equate body weight with heath or nutrition. Completely negating any science at all. Losing 45 pounds of what will mostly be lean body mass is not heathy, retards healing, and compromises everything from mental clarity, to strength, and immune response. You guys that think you were so tough, had an element of stupid mixed in with that tough. Sorry for the tough LOVE, to my good friend, but geeze I am tired of this lack of understanding. Cancer treatments are NOT A DIET PRORAM FOR THOSE THAT WERE OVER WIEGHT WHEN THEY STARTED THE PROCESS.

Brian, stage 4 oral cancer survivor. OCF Founder and Director. The first responsibility of a leader is to define reality. The last is to say thank you. In between, the leader is a servant.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
amndcllns01, Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916
13,104 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums23