Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#93086 04-02-2009 10:10 PM
Supporting Member (50+ posts)
OP Offline

Last night I read on one of the forums where someone else was experiencing swelling on the top of the foot where the fibula was removed to replace the mandible. I too, have swelling on the top of my foot. It isn't painful, but annoying.It seems to be more noticeable in the evening. My Dr. thought I was retaining fluid, but after taking a second look decided that was not the case. My question is does anyone else have this swelling, what has been suggested on how to deal with it? Are there any excerises that help? Medication? Any imput I will greatly appreciate.

Thanks,

Hacklene

Hacklene
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)

Hacklene,
Thanks for posting, I thought that this was just post surgical and would gradually improve. The swelling I have is below the ankle and only on top of the foot. The discomfort is that the skin is streched. At least it is not so bad that the skin is peeling as it was previously. I will ask at my next appointment which is in May. Perhaps lymph masssage would help. Has anyone had experience with this?
I am anticipating a very uncomfortable situation next weeek when I travel. I often have discomfort flying because my feet don't reach the floor.

SCC stage II Partial mandibulectomy w. neck dissection- July 2005. Renal cancer w. partial nephrectomy-Jan 2004. Breast cancer discovered in routine mammogram. Successful lumpectomy, sentinal nodes clear, RT only-2008 Reconstruction of mandible w fibula free flap-Jan 09. TORS removal of begnin pappiloma from esophagus-2010. Masectomy,rt breast 2013.
Support OCF
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)

I have swelling above my ankle where they removed my fibula. I'm 9 months out of surgery and can walk OK now although on the bad days I need a cane. I find my swelling is worse after exercise or a long day of being on my feet or walking a lot.

I've tried massage on the area and it didn't feel great and really did nothing for the knot. My doctors have just told me that it's post op swelling and there is really nothing to do about it. An herbalist friend of mine suggested ginger tea to help reduce the swelling, but ginger can thin the blood as well so a word of caution there.

Young Frack, SCC T4N2M0, Cisplatin,35+ rads,ND, RT Mandiblectomy w fibular free flap, facial paralysis, "He who has a "why" to live can bear with almost any "how"." -Nietzche "WARNING" PG-13 due to Sarcasm & WAY too much attitude, interact at your own risk.
OP Offline

Hi Malka,

Thanks for responding to my question about my foot swelling. I will be looking forward to learning what your Dr. has to say in May. You are correct that it is only uncomfortable. In the evening my husband rubs around my left ankle while we are watching TV. I am hoping that someone will have found some type of way to reduce the swelling. I exercise at the YMCA three times a week and have found no increase in swelling. Today I spend several hours at our local home show and haven't noticed any higher level of swelling. I have kept up with your recovery and I was interested in you since you were so kind to e-mail me and to ask questions about your then upcoming surgery. I am so glad you are doing well. Any questions I can answer for you please don't hesitate to ask. I noticed that you decided not to do the reconstructive repair on replacing your teeth. I came to the same conclusion. I can eat anything, I just have to take time to cut it up in small portions. I am back to my normal weight and doing well, My surgery was six and a half years ago. My how time flies.

Again Thanks,

Hacklene

Hacklene
OP Offline

Eric,
I noticed your post about you swelling in the ankle area. I had the same surgery six and a half years ago and I also have that same swelling. It isn't painful, but it is annoying and I know it is there. Hopefully some one else has experienced this same problem and has advise on what works to make it feel better. I don't use a cane and perhaps the stonger you get you won't need yours. I certainly hope so. Best of luck and if you learn anyway to dealing with this situation, please let me know.

Hacklene

Hacklene
Administrator, Director of Patient Support Services
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
Administrator, Director of Patient Support Services
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

Hacklene, I noticed in your post to Malka about you mentioned your teeth not being replaced. Can I ask you a question about that? Do you have any teeth at all and can you eat everything without teeth? How long ago were they removed? Sorry to veer off subject on yoru post. Wishing you a speedy recovery and relief from the swelling.

Christine
SCC 6/15/07 L chk & by L molar both Stag I, age44
2x cispltn-35 IMRT end 9/27/07
-65 lbs in 2 mo, no caregvr
Clear PET 1/08
4/4/08 recur L chk Stag I
surg 4/16/08 clr marg
215 HBO dives
3/09 teeth out, trismus
7/2/09 recur, Stg IV
8/24/09 trach, ND, mandiblctmy
3wks medicly inducd coma
2 mo xtended hospital stay, ICU & burn unit
PICC line IV antibx 8 mo
10/4/10, 2/14/11 reconst surg
OC 3x in 3 years
very happy to be alive smile
OP Offline

Hi Christine,

I am very glad you asked about my teeth. Mine were removed during my 14 hour surgery at the Mayo Hospiotal. They did leave two on the bottom, but had to remove them while I was in the hospital. Then about nine months after surgery (Jan.10,2003)I began the search to obtain dentures. I went to two oral surgeons in Tucson. They didn't want to attempt placing two implants. So I went back to the Mayco. There I was told that they would put in the implants, I would have to use the Hydrobonic (sp) chaimber for thirty days before they would attempt to insert the implants. Then there was no guarentee that my new madible wouldn't break. I asked the question if I took the Hydrophonic treatment could it wake up any cancer cells that may have been left. The answer I got made me sure that I was not going to try it. They didn't know for sure. At that time I used to e=mail Minnie and she decided to try the implants. Her cancer came back and now there is a great loss to this forum as well as her family. Her passing away made me even more determined to not have the implants. I do eat anything I want. If I want a sandwich at Subway, I orderwhat I want and in my purse I always have a knife and fork. It takes me awhile, but I cut up my sandwich in very small pieces and enjoy what I am eating. I carry my own eating utensiles, and then have a picnic and enjoy

I hope this answers your questions. Best of luck and hopefully you will come to the correct conclusion for you.

Hacklene

Moderated by  Eva Grayzel 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
amndcllns01, Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916
13,104 Registered Users