Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Malka Offline OP
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)
OP Offline

OCF friend and actress Colleen Zenk Pinter is interviewed in the April 14 issue of Woman's Day Magazine. The interview is very well written and is neither maudlin nor sensational. The layout is well done with a side bar "Protect Yourself Against Oral Cancer" which mentions OCF. The online versions at www.womansday.com both have links to OCF. So far there are no coments posted for either article.

I bought the magazine today and am going to purchase extra copies to distribute. I have 2 doctor appointments and a test scheduled in the coming week and will leave them in the waiting areas there along with brochures and as time and my strenght allow will also take some to other offices in the same buildings. If anyone else does this I suggest speaking with the office personel and explaining what you are doing and why. This is also a good oportunity to distribute a few buttons.

Congratulations Brian. We know that you must have had a part in this.

Malka

SCC stage II Partial mandibulectomy w. neck dissection- July 2005. Renal cancer w. partial nephrectomy-Jan 2004. Breast cancer discovered in routine mammogram. Successful lumpectomy, sentinal nodes clear, RT only-2008 Reconstruction of mandible w fibula free flap-Jan 09. TORS removal of begnin pappiloma from esophagus-2010. Masectomy,rt breast 2013.
Support OCF
Administrator, Director of Patient Support Services
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
Administrator, Director of Patient Support Services

Thanks for the link. I read the article, it was very good. There were 2 articles, the first was her own personal story. The second one talked about HPV and mentioned OCF and Brian.

Christine
SCC 6/15/07 L chk & by L molar both Stag I, age44
2x cispltn-35 IMRT end 9/27/07
-65 lbs in 2 mo, no caregvr
Clear PET 1/08
4/4/08 recur L chk Stag I
surg 4/16/08 clr marg
215 HBO dives
3/09 teeth out, trismus
7/2/09 recur, Stg IV
8/24/09 trach, ND, mandiblctmy
3wks medicly inducd coma
2 mo xtended hospital stay, ICU & burn unit
PICC line IV antibx 8 mo
10/4/10, 2/14/11 reconst surg
OC 3x in 3 years
very happy to be alive smile
Malka Offline OP
OP Offline

The main article is also in the news section of the Foundation.

SCC stage II Partial mandibulectomy w. neck dissection- July 2005. Renal cancer w. partial nephrectomy-Jan 2004. Breast cancer discovered in routine mammogram. Successful lumpectomy, sentinal nodes clear, RT only-2008 Reconstruction of mandible w fibula free flap-Jan 09. TORS removal of begnin pappiloma from esophagus-2010. Masectomy,rt breast 2013.
Support OCF
Platinum Member (300+ posts)

Great article! Thanks Malka, for letting us know.

Susan Lauria - OCF Director of Events - Always looking for volunteers to help spread the word about early detection! Contact me if you can help!

*Brother passed away from tongue cancer in 2006 at age 47, was co-caregiver, he was non-smoker/casual drinker

LETS MAKE ORAL CANCER HISTORY!
OCF Founder
OCF Founder

Colleen is just coming out of her second go around with oral cancer. She is a real trooper, getting back to filming, and back to living life. I am privileged to call her a friend, and OCF is equally privileged for her to have done so many things for the foundation and the disease.

After her first dance with OC, she did a TV public service announcement on oral cancer early detection, and CBS gave $500k in minutes of air time to play it at their affiliates around the country. She did an Early Show appearance for us on her own time as well. Later, Colleen and I were able to convince the producer of ATWT to have her character (Barbara Ryan) get oral cancer in the TV series story line, an idea that Colleen was not real keen on after just coming out of treatment. True to her desire to be a strong advocate she played the part. That idea which cost the foundation nothing, kept oral cancer in a daytime TV series, told properly, for almost four months. Colleen received an award for public service for that effort at ceremonies in Hollywood last year.

In all these things like this article, Colleen's publicist for ATWT's Lisa Lugsassi has been instrumental in making them happen. My relationship with her has helped OCF and oral cancer a great deal.

In the beginning I was the poster boy for all this, but these days my role is behind the scenes, seeing that people who have celebrity, voice, contacts and more are informed, interested, and advocates for our cause. Most people do not realize that these things seem simple but actually take months of phone calls, meetings, convincing, providing disease backgrounder to writers, and more to make happen.

Woman's Day Magazine has been here once before when I was able to get them to do a story entitled "My dentist saved my life" in 2004. W keep plugging away, awareness slowly begins to take place, the world begins to change.

2009 we have many more ambitious projects with other celebrities, and mediums. We have a full four color page ad featuring Gwyneth Paltrow in ELLE Magazine coming out in about 4 months. I wrote it in first person voice for Gwyen, and it speaks to the loss of her father to OC and the need for annual screenings. We have a photo shoot for the image in the ad next month in LA when she is out here to film the next version of Iron Man. The ad space was donated to OCF a 93k $ value) at our December event. We have a developing relationship with Mandi Patinkin (a personal fiend of Colleen's) who has starred on Chicago Hope, and Criminal Minds, as well as done lots of Broadway shows. More to come............

Awareness is raised in many ways. From you guys wearing pins and talking to people, to celebrities doing interviews. It will happen.

Brian, stage 4 oral cancer survivor. OCF Founder and Director. The first responsibility of a leader is to define reality. The last is to say thank you. In between, the leader is a servant.

I just read all of the articles, both of them, and really it had me hooked that she looks so great and has had quite a bit of surgery , She has the same fight inside her that we have and is a determined lady. My kind of reading and I enjoyed it.

Since posting this. UPMC, Pittsburgh, Oct 2011 until Jan. I averaged about 2 to 3 surgeries a week there. w Can't have jaw made as bone is deteroriating steaily that is left in jaw. Mersa is to blame. Feeding tube . Had trach for 4mos. Got it out April.
--- Passed away 5/14/14, will be greatly missed by everyone here

Woman's day's web site has been updated so here are direct links to the two articles rather than scroll down to pages 2 and 3:
Interview : Colleen Zenk Pinter's Battle with Cancer
OCF prevention article: Protect Yourself Against Oral Cancer

65 yr Old Frack
Stage IV BOT T3N2M0 HPV 16+
2007:72GY IMRT(40) 8 ERBITUX No PEG
2008:CANCER BACK Salvage Surgery
25GY-CyberKnife(5) 3 Carboplatin
Apaghia /G button
2012: CANCER BACK -left tonsilar fossa
40GY-CyberKnife(5) 3 Carboplatin

Passed away 4-29-13

Thanks for the link. What an inspiring attitude, story and boost for oral cancer awareness!
Marlene

Marginal mandibulectomy 6/17/08 resulted in DX of Stage I SCC - gingiva (3 mm) right mandible, buccal side. Clear margins. Occasional social drinker. Smoked last cigarette in 1979. Clear pet: 12/08; 7/20/09. Yay!

Both great atrticles.

Brian, I'm happy to hear that mandy is now on board with OCF.

I guess I shouldn't be surprised that in a Woman's Day article, that the dentist is a "she".

Jerry

Jerry

Retired Dentist, 59 years old at diagnosis. SCC of the left lateral border of the tongue (Stage I). Partial glossectomy and 30 nodes removed, 4/6/05. Nodes all clear. No chemo no radiation 18 year survivor.

"Whatever doesn't kill me, makes me stronger"

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
amndcllns01, Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916
13,104 Registered Users
Forum Statistics