Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#89820 02-10-2009 07:54 PM
OP Offline

My father-in-law was diagnosed with oral cancer over 8 years ago. He continues to battle it today, but even though he has been through several surgeries, cannot speak well, now has a g-tube and has had chemotherapy - he leads a relatively normal life. The cancer has spread around his mouth over the years but thankfully has not spread anywhere else in his body. My own father was diagnosed with oral cancer a few weeks ago. He has always gone to the doctor regularly, so I believe they caught it early. I'm not too sure of some of the details of his diagnosis, but I plan on going to the doctor with him next week. He underwent surgery yesterday to remove the place under his tongue and also lymphnodes on one side of his neck. I'm not sure if the cancer was present in the lymphnodes or just likely to spread there. His doctor seemed optimistic about removing it all and recommended no chemotherapy or radiation. They think his speech will remain normal and should be able to maintain a normal diet after recovery. I was wondering how much more serious it becomes when the lymphnodes are involved. After watching my father-in-law, I felt pretty good about my father's prognosis, but after reading some things about oral cancer, I've become more concerned. I'm sure I don't have all of the information that I need to make my own assumptions, but getting information out of my father about his health is like pulling teeth. I hope he agrees to let me accompany him to his post-op dr appt. as I have many questions to ask. If anyone knows of things I should ask about, please let me know. Also, I was wondering about alternatives such as vitamin supplements, organic foods or anything else that might help boost the immune system and/or fight off the cancer. I am a firm believer that a positive attitude has a definite impact on a person's outcome. Any thoughts or advice would be helpful.

Administrator, Director of Patient Support Services
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
Administrator, Director of Patient Support Services

Welcome to OCF. Here you will find tons of helpful info. Its a great idea for you to accompany your father to his appointments. Take a notepad and write down your questions along with the answers so you can remember.

As far as supplements go, do not start giving him anything until you check with his doctor. That could be your excuse to get him to allow you access to his appointments. Some vitamins arent helpful at all, but that could only be for those of us who had chemo and radiation. Im not sure so really cant advise you on that. As far as something out there that fights off cancer, I dont have faith in that being available. A balanced diet is the best I can tell you. Attitude is something I also believe in, being positive will help him.

You may want to ask if the margins were clear and how big they were. That means around the tumor if the doc got all the cancer. Check if he needs to do any mouth exercises. How often he will need to get rechecked. What kind of doctor has treated your father? Was this at a Comprehensive Cancer Center? Your Father in law has struggled for 8 years with oral cancer? I would be concerned at how and where he is being treated.

I wish you and both your father and father in law the best with their struggles.

Christine
SCC 6/15/07 L chk & by L molar both Stag I, age44
2x cispltn-35 IMRT end 9/27/07
-65 lbs in 2 mo, no caregvr
Clear PET 1/08
4/4/08 recur L chk Stag I
surg 4/16/08 clr marg
215 HBO dives
3/09 teeth out, trismus
7/2/09 recur, Stg IV
8/24/09 trach, ND, mandiblctmy
3wks medicly inducd coma
2 mo xtended hospital stay, ICU & burn unit
PICC line IV antibx 8 mo
10/4/10, 2/14/11 reconst surg
OC 3x in 3 years
very happy to be alive smile
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)

Ask for a copy of the pathology report on the post-surgery biopsy to get the exact scoop on the margins, plus the type and extent of everything examined -- Your father will have to ask for it or sign something for you to get it.

In fact, it is a good idea to get a copy of all the reports and the scans that may have been done -- This would all be handy if you need a second opinion at some time in the future.

Age 67 1/2
Ventral Tongue SCC T2N0M0G1 10/05
Anterior Tongue SCC T2N0M0G2 6/08
Base of Tongue SCC T2N0M0G2 12/08
Three partial glossectomy (10/05,11/05,6/08), PEG, 37 XRT 66.6 Gy 1/06
Neck dissection, trach, PEG & forearm free flap (6/08)
Total glossectomy, trach, PEG & thigh free flap (12/08)
On August 21, 2010 at 9:20 am, Pete went off to play with the ratties in the sky.
OP Offline

Thank you for your reply and encouragement. I'm not sure about the doctor who is treating my father, his surgery was at a regular surgery center in a small town in central IN (although my father said he is very good and has been treating oral cancer patients for a long time). I've always wondered about the treatment my father-in-law has been recieving (in an even smaller town in central IN), but he doesn't seem interested in seeking second opinions and seems satisfied with the care he is recieving. Maybe if my father can overcome this it will give my father-in-law encouragement in taking a more active role in his own care. Thank you for giving me some ideas for questions to ask and I also wish you the best.

OP Offline

Thank you so much for your reply. I didn't even think about getting the pathology reports, but that is a great idea. Thank you very much and I wish you the best.

Senior Patient Advocate
Senior Patient Advocate

There are basically 3 approaches in treating oral cancer. Surgery, chemo and radiation. Sometimes all three are used but mostly the latter 2 are used concurrently. The idea is to kill the cancer with minimal side effects to the patient. Granted that's hard to do with only those treatment options. Most CCC's, Comprehensive Cancer Centers, try to avoid the surgery when they can, especially Neck Dissections, going right for the chemo/radiation but their decision is obviously dependent upon many many patient and cancer factors. I had 5 different opinions and 3 out of the first 4 included surgery. When I finally got to a CCC. Moffitt, I felt that they had the best plan for me which excluded surgery initially but leaving the option open if needed post Tx.

Before we can be most effective it would help if we knew:

1. How was the cancer found?

2. Did they do a biopsy of the tongue?

3. Did they do a biopsy of any node before surgery?

4. How many nodes were taken and how many tested positive?

5. Did anyone Stage his cancer?

6. What name did they give his cancer?

David

Age 58 at Dx, HPV16+ SCC, Stage IV BOT+2 nodes, non smoker, casual drinker, exercise nut, Cisplatin x 3 & concurrent IMRT x 35,(70 Gy), no surgery, no Peg, Tx at Moffitt over Aug 06. Jun 07, back to riding my bike 100 miles a wk. Now doing 12 Spin classes and 60 outdoor miles per wk. Nov 13 completed Hilly Century ride for Cancer, 104 miles, 1st Place in my age group. Apr 2014 & 15, Spun for 9 straight hrs to raise $$ for YMCA's Livestrong Program. Certified Spin Instructor Jun 2014.
OP Offline

Thank you for the reply. My father was referred by his primary dr to another dr, but I'm not even sure if it was an oncologist, ENT, or what. His surgery was done at a surgery center at a local hospital. At first I thought surgery was a good thing and no chemo must be good, but I'm beginning to wonder. He only saw one dr and the decision to have surgery was made very quickly with no second opinion or second thoughts. He found a spot under his tongue and it was biopsied and was positive for cancer. He then had an MRI on his head and neck and I guess something must have been found in his lymph nodes because the decision was made to remove those too. No biopsy was done on the nodes at all. I don't know the stage or name of his cancer but he might have that information. I wish I would have found this website before we went to surgery, but hopefully this was the best thing for him. We'll see what the pathology report says at his visit next week. Thank you so much for giving me some ideas of what to ask the drs. I really had no idea. Also, how could I find out how to find a CCC? I guess with cancer, you need to have the opinions of many people so you can make an informed decision about your own healthcare. Again, thank you and congratulations on your recovery. Sounds like you're doing great and still helping out others like me.

Supporting Member (50+ posts)
Supporting Member (50+ posts)

I was wondering, didi they do any PET scan?

PET scans are expensive and not available in this area, however my Cancer Clinic had a portable one in a Semi-truck trailer brought into the parking lot on some Saturdays.

Be Well,

UncleVern

ENT conjectures before, no PET approved by HMO. Metastasis 11/06. CT 2/07: mass RT sub-mandibular gland. 7 CM mass/tonsil, base of tongue removed, biopsies 2/07 and 3/07. Vein lost, RT face numb. PET scan: spot in chest, un-investigated. Oral surgery 4/07. 3X Cisplatin and 32X IMRT from 4/07-5/07.
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)

[quote=daughterkel] Also, how could I find out how to find a CCC? [/quote]
Where do you live, or what large city are you near? Perhaps posters here could offer recommendations based on their experience.

You could start with the institutions that belong to the National Comprehensive Cancer Network -- an alliance of 21 cancer centers across the country that offer state-of-the-art treatment. Every year, the NCCN publishes treatment protocols for many types of cancer, based on their stage and spread (if any). You can find the 2008 head and neck cancer information here.

Additional information on treatment centers is available here on the main part of the OCF site.

As most commonly used here, the phrase "comprehensive cancer center" or CCC refers to an institution that brings physicians and other medical personnel from a variety of specialties together to consider each case and make treatment recommendations. This ensures that the doctors are working together and are on the same page, rather than requiring the patient to find a surgeon, then find someone else for radiation therapy, then find someone else for chemo -- and then hope that they will all talk with each other. Because this type of cancer can affect so many important functions, communication and trust among the medical personnel are critical.

Leslie

April 2006: Husband dx by dentist with leukoplakia on tongue. Oral surgeon's biopsy 4/28/06: Moderate dysplasia; pathology report warned of possible "skip effect." ENT's excisional biopsy (got it all) 5/31/06: SCC in situ/small bit superficially invasive. Early detection saves lives.

Here's another list of CCC's (Nat'l Cancer Institute designated) from this forum:

http://www.oralcancerfoundation.org/resources/cancer_centers.htm

The CCC's have to earn and keep up that designation, it's more than just putting more than one discipline under one roof, things like establishing a tumor board and having it meet at least once a week to discuss individual cases and make recommendations.

What is "skip effect"?

I had numerous biopsies showing leukoplakia and dysplasia across 15 years before a tumor actually started growing at that site on my tongue, so it can be a long process. None of the ENTs or oral surgeons would say that cancer would occur, just that I had to be watchful for any changes in that site.

Age 67 1/2
Ventral Tongue SCC T2N0M0G1 10/05
Anterior Tongue SCC T2N0M0G2 6/08
Base of Tongue SCC T2N0M0G2 12/08
Three partial glossectomy (10/05,11/05,6/08), PEG, 37 XRT 66.6 Gy 1/06
Neck dissection, trach, PEG & forearm free flap (6/08)
Total glossectomy, trach, PEG & thigh free flap (12/08)
On August 21, 2010 at 9:20 am, Pete went off to play with the ratties in the sky.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
iMarc845, amndcllns01, Jina, VintageMel, rahul320
13,105 Registered Users
Forum Statistics