Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#89133 01-29-2009 07:05 AM
debbieh Offline OP
OP Offline

Hello Everyone,
I had a partial Glossectomy done 12/06 for stage 1 SCC. Recently I have noticed that where the incision is on my tongue i have developed some scar tissue. This is very tender and sometimes rubs against my bottom teeth and causes irritation. Also, when I eat certain foods with spice this seems to irritate it also. I guess what I want to know is this normal for the scar tissue to be so tender. I have looked at my tongue and do not see any sores. I can see the scar tissue and it is tender. I just had a routine Cat Scan done last week and I have an appointment this Monday 2/2/09 with my Oncologist for blood work and to check-up and to get the results of my Cat Scan. Then the following week I go see my ENT for routine check up and scoping. I am trying to stay positive but it is very hard. I am just worried about this tender area on my tongue. Any feed back would be appreciated.

Debbie

Partial Glossectomy 12/06, stage 1 SCC, right side
11/07,stage III SCC in right side of neck 12/07, Modified neck dissection,48 lymph nodes removed,neg. 1/14/08 startedChemo-cisplatin once a week for 5 weeks, Radiation everyday for 5 weeks.Finished treatment 2/15/08. Cancer returned,sugery 4/5/10.
Senior Member (100+ posts)
Senior Member (100+ posts)

Most of us would tell you that the mouth takes a long time to heal - much longer than say, a laceration to your skin elsewhere. That's part of the reason why it can take literally months to heal from 7 weeks of radiation, AFTER the radiation is over. My tongue surgery (and 7 weeks subsequent IMRT) was 3 years ago and my mouth is still very tender to this day in the area of the surgery, especially sensitive to spices and such. I used to love spicy food, hot sauces, etc but now I can't eat any of them because it's still so tender.

Sounds like you'll be seeing the doctor shortly - hopefully he'll look at it and tell you it's just a matter of 'normal' healing process for you. Hang in there!

Age 41 - Stage 2 SCC tongue Dx 2/06. Cisplatin x3, IMRT x35. Mets to neck node discovered 7/07. RND 40 nodes removed, margins not clear. Cisplatin, Taxotere, 5-FU Fall 07, then IMXT/Erbitux for 7 wks. Inoperable mets to both lungs and pleura Dx Oct'08. 4 cycles Carboplatin, Erbitux, 5-FU so far.
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)

Hi Debbie,

I'm basically having the same issues, the area with all the scar tissue is very sensitive. When I touch that area it's very rough...I'll also be seeing my ENT soon...In fact, I see him every month.

7-16-08 age 37@Dx, T3N0M0 SCC 4.778cm tumor, left side of oral tongue, non smoker, casual drinker, I am the 4th in my family to have H&N cancer
8-13-08 left neck dissection and 40% of tongue removed, submandibular salivary gland & 14 nodes clean, no chemo, IMRTx35
11-4-08 Recovering & feeling better

This is an issue I too have asked about and am still curious on. The top of my tongue is numb but yet it really bites with anything like even katchup. I have a rough spot something like dry skin closer to the back of my tongue. I have had sharp pains at the tip of the tongue just above the connection of the free flap then lately my tongue has been doing some funky tingling thing. I was scheduled to see my onclolgoist on Feb 25 but got a letter saying the appointment will have to be pushed back to March 31. So if anybody gets any insite I would be glad to hear theories on this ...

Dianne..treatment at cc at Victoria Hospital, London, Ontario...insulin dependant, Surgery Sept 8/08 Tracheotomy,composite resection and bilateral neck dissection, left radial forearm free flap... T2N0 squamous cell carcinoma. No radiation A little over 2 yrs clear YAY

Moderated by  Eva Grayzel 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
amndcllns01, Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916
13,104 Registered Users
Forum Statistics