Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#87344 01-05-2009 07:04 PM
KyleS Offline OP
OP Offline

Hello All,
For the past week Kyle has had a burning sensation that comes and goes in his nose and upper cheek bone (nasal passage area). The feeling can change if he changes his position from up or down too. Has anyone experienced this? Could it be radiation damage, the new tumor pushing on a specific nerve? Just curious if anyone has experienced this. I'm hoping it's related to all the radiation damage in someway. They are going to do another PETSCAN on Kyle around mid-February. They want to allow enough time to pass so there is a difference in what the PETSCAN shows. The Dr's said it's a small chance but a chance that what showed in the Oct. scan was from the infection he had. We can hope for that small chance.
Thank you.
Sincerely,
Tamara

Kyle - 43 years old - non smoker/very casual drinker. Father of two little one's. Live in Ventura County, CA.
03/07 - squamous cell in left side of tongue removed. Chemo/Rad followed.
06/08 - tumor removed from part of tongue, base of mouth, left jaw, part of neck area. Chemo/rad followed.
10/08 - Now Petscan shows tumor in front/left part of chin under the flap (base of mouth). Have been told surgery, chemo and rad are not options at this point.
11/08 - Traech put in.

"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)

Tamara, My heart goes out to you to have so much to deal with. I have not had radiation, so I can't give a good answer to your question about the burning, but my nose is also affected by my position, and it does get extra dry because of my surgery in the area. I make regular use of saline nasal spray....non-medicated...and I recently purchased one called "Ayr" that had a bit of glycerine in it, to help coat the tissues longer. I liked it. I wouldn't presume to make any other suggestions, but I know that these two things couldn't do any harm and might make him a little more comfortable. With such a complicated medical situation, you should, it seems, run everything past your doctor before using it.

Good Luck. I know it is difficult for you to watch him be any more uncomfortable than is absolutely necessary!!

XO--Colleen

Colleen--T-2N0M0 SCC dx'd 12/28/05...Hemi-maxillectomy, partial palatectomy, neck dissection 1/4/06....clear margins, neg. nodes....no radiation, no chemo....Cancer-free at 4 years!

Moderated by  Eva Grayzel 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
amndcllns01, Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916
13,104 Registered Users
Forum Statistics