Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#8726 11-01-2006 04:37 AM
Senior Member (100+ posts)
OP Offline
Senior Member (100+ posts)

Hello friends,
I was diagnosed in February of '06 with Stage 2/3 SCC of the lateral/base of the tongue. I soon thereafter found this web site and starting reading and asking questions. It was a great source of encouragement and information. At the end of March I started treatment - 35 IMRT days and 3 rounds of Cisplatin.
Once I got into the treatment I was so sick and out of it that I kind of 'fell off' the OCF forum - I usually just didn't feel like getting on the computer and frankly I didn't even have the desire to be on the site any more. Despite being able to read about, and communicate with, others going through the same thing, it still felt very lonely at home in bed while my wife was as work and kids were at school. I was just kind of in a bad fog, kind of cutting myself off from the world, which, I felt was going on without me.

I could never have imagined all the 'side challenges' that come with this disease and treatment - the medication problems, the trips to the ER, the infections - there's so much that is specific to the individual and I don't see how anybody could have warned me about all those challenges. It was kind of like - treatment was hard enough, and then on top of that you have these problems that arise 'as a result of' treatment. Wow, it's been a ride.

I finished treatment in late May. I found, as many others have said, that I didn't hit bottom physically until sometime in June. There was some part of me that was convinced the day I ended treatment I'd start feeling better - but you guys were right, that's just not realistic. By mid-June I was at the lowest point I've ever been in my life. I truly felt like I couldn't go on. Honestly I considered NOT going on.

But I got through and within a couple of months I started feeling like I was on the upswing. I was still on a PEG tube because everything tasted so horrible.

In early October I finally started eating - I found some things I could eat that tasted ok - not good but ok. I had a PET scan about three weeks ago to determine the success of treatment. It came back suspicous. So, I had a biopsy last week and my follow-up was yesterday.
No sign of cancer!! I'm in remission!!

I know this is still just the beginning of the journey and nobody knows what tomorrow holds, but for now I consider my treatment a success and I'm living strong. I had them pull the PEG tube out - that was a huge OOWWEEE but it was worth it to have the thing out after all those months.

I'll still be around. Since like many of you I'll be tied at the hip to my doc for the next five years at least, I'm still one of you and I'll be lurking on the boards...trying to help when I can.

I just wanted to thank you folks for the replies I've gotten to questions and frustrations - and to all the good information and most of all, caring, that resides in this forum. It has been a huge source of encouragement to my wife and I both.

thanks
Steve

LIVESTRONG!!

Age 41 - Stage 2 SCC tongue Dx 2/06. Cisplatin x3, IMRT x35. Mets to neck node discovered 7/07. RND 40 nodes removed, margins not clear. Cisplatin, Taxotere, 5-FU Fall 07, then IMXT/Erbitux for 7 wks. Inoperable mets to both lungs and pleura Dx Oct'08. 4 cycles Carboplatin, Erbitux, 5-FU so far.
#8727 11-01-2006 05:07 AM
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)

Steve,

Glad to hear the good news. Loved your story. I think I felt the same way going through it all.
I had my peg removed after nine months after it was put in. I was glad to get rid of too. I kept until I knew I could eat OK. Yes it does smart some!! Ha ha!! smile

So glad things are starting on the up and up. I was at 3 months when I started to feel some improvements. I still run into a bump or two but doing better. So Happy for you ! laugh

Take care,
Diane

2004 SCC R.tip 1/4 tongue Oct. 2005 R. Neck SCC cancer/Chemo Cisplatin 2x/8wks. Rad. Removed Jugular vein, Lymph gland & some neck muscle. TX finished 1/20/06... B.Cancer 3/29/07 Finished 6/07 Bi-op 7/15/09 SCC in-situ, laser surgery removed from 1st. sight. Right jaw replacement 11/3/14. 9 yrs cancer free as of Jan. 2015
#8728 11-01-2006 11:13 AM
Platinum Member (300+ posts)

Great News and welcome back

Tim Stoj
60 yr old. Dx Jun 06 with BOT Stage IV. Neck dissesction on 19 Jun 06. Started Tx on 21 Aug 06/completed 33 IMRTs and 3 CT (2 Cisplat & 1 Carboplat) on 5 Oct 06.
#8729 11-01-2006 12:27 PM
JAM Offline
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

Steve-good for you and please remember how much you can share [and help] with people who are just starting this journey. Amy

CGtoJohn:SCC Flr of Mouth.Dx 3\05. Surg.4\05.T3NOMO.IMRTx30. Recur Dx 1\06.Surg 2\06. Chemo: 4 Cycles of Carbo\Taxol:on Erbitux for 7 mo. Lost our battle 2-23-07- But not the will to fight this disease

:
#8730 11-02-2006 10:39 AM
"Above & Beyond" Member (300+ posts)
"Above & Beyond" Member (300+ posts)

Hi Steve,

You and Jack were on the same treatment timetable and I remember those low points all too well with him. Getting the PEG tube out and starting to eat is a big step forward so congratulations on that. Jack continues to supplement his calories with the leftover cans of formula and flavored syrup added, but he's adding new foods to the "this will work" list every week.

The dry mouth seems to be his biggest problem and truthfully it's too early to tell what the final status of that will be. I think Gary said his came back after 18 months. They're trying acupuncture with Jack to see if that will stimulate saliva, which is a little weird but not the dumbest thing we've done with this.

You're right that no one can really prepare you for the "result of the treatment" side effects but it sure helps to be able to do a search on the home page or forum to know you're not the only one going through it. Considering that the rule of thumb is a month of recovery for every week of radiation I'd say you're doing well.

Amy is right about being able to use your experience to help people who are just starting out. Jack and I cannot believe the difference in where we are now versus those early "you've got to be (expletive deleted) me" days. Time has a way of helping you put things into a better perspective and I can honestly say we are feeling that new normal that everyone told us about but I didn't actually believe in the beginning. It's encouraging to know that we are all capable of making adjustments - particularly when there's no other meaningful choice.

Your story is great and very representative of most of us. Welcome back and good for you for getting here.

Regards JoAnne

JoAnne - Caregiver to husband, cancer rt. tonsil, mets to soft palate, BOT, 7 lymph nodes - T3N2BM0, stage 4. Robotic assisted surgery, radical neck dissection 2/06; 30 IMTX treatments and 4 cycles of cisplatin completed June 06.
#8731 11-18-2006 04:19 PM

Hi. I'm new to all this but just reviewing the blobs I'm getting alot of information. Not necessarily what i want to hear or have heard - but I prefer to plan for the worst and hope for the best.

Thanks for sharing!

SCC-floor mouth/partial jaw removal on 10-5-2006. Thanks for sharing all the info. Hopeful, determined & anxious!
#8732 11-19-2006 06:35 AM

Mp,

Here you get the the truth...the good, the bad and the ugly.

Have you started your own post under introduce yourself? If not tell us your story.

Tim Stoj
60 yr old. Dx Jun 06 with BOT Stage IV. Neck dissesction on 19 Jun 06. Started Tx on 21 Aug 06/completed 33 IMRTs and 3 CT (2 Cisplat & 1 Carboplat) on 5 Oct 06.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
iMarc845, amndcllns01, Jina, VintageMel, rahul320
13,105 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums23