Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#85994 12-12-2008 05:39 PM
Gold Member (200+ posts)
OP Offline
Gold Member (200+ posts)

A month ago I wrote regarding mucus that was delaying my husband's recovery. Thank you all for the help and support.

He is now 14 weeks post tx. The mucus and feeling of rubber bands across his throat has subsided, but has not resolved. At least it is not causing a choking/gaging feeling all day long. Mainly it is a problem upon arising and in PM after using dental trays.

Increasing his diet has been very, very slow. I'm wondering how this went for others. He has a PEG - 5 cans 2 Cal/day. No weight loss. We are substituting smoothies for feedings as tolerated. He can swallow solid/soft food but has all the other issues - lack of taste, no appetite, no saliva, etc. We are checking into nutritional & alternative medicine consult.

Does appetite ever return while still receiving tube feedings? The problem is not a lack of food ideas. He wants to eat and is optimistic each time he tries something but doesn't enjoy eating. Each time there is an issue - doesn't taste good, too difficult to chew, too dry, sticks to teeth, etc. Any suggestions?

On the positive side, his stamina is increasing and personality is coming back (it was lost for a several months). I'm glad that others here can understand these issues but am sad that so many have to suffer with this. Lottie

CG to husband, dx @ age 65, nonsmoker/social drinker. Dx 5/08 SCC Stage IV, BOT T1N2aM0. 33 IMRT - completed 9/12/08. Induction Chemo (Cisplatin, Taxotere & 5FU), plus concurrent Cisplatin.
1/09 PEG removed; 5/09 neg PET/CT; 5/10 PET/CT NED
Dental extraction & HBOT 2013; ORN 2014; Debridement/Tissue Transfer & HBOT 2016
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)

Lottie,

It took a long while for my appetite to return. At first, I'd get full, or worse, nauseous after just a couple of bites and the lack of taste was so discouraging. I still can't taste a lot of stuff, and some foods just taste like dust, so what I concentrate on, more than anything is texture. If something has good texture, I can tolerate it even if it doesn't taste right.

Foods that have really worked for me have been eggs poached in water over hash browns, soups with pasta and soft vegetables including Asian noodle soups, baked or poached fish, and strangely, slightly soggy cold cereal. And always, always sauce, gravy, ketchup or whatever... it has to, has to be wet.

I've decided that food and eating is, for now, like exercise. Its not especially enjoyable, but at the end of the day, its what's best for me. And I know that it will get better. It just has to!

Stage IV SCC lt lateral tongue, surgery 5/19/08 (partial gloss/upper neck dissection left side/radial free flap reconstruction) IMRT w/weekly Cisplatin & Erbitux 6/30/08, PEG 1 6/12/08 - out 7/14 (in abdominal wall, not stomach), PEG 2 7/23/08 - out 11/20/08, Tx done 8/18/08
Second SCC tumor, Stage 1, rt mobile tongue, removed 10/18/2016, right neck dissection 12/9/2016
Third SCC tumor, diagnosed, 4/19/2108, rt submandibular mass, HPV-, IMRT w/ weekly Cisplatin, 5/9 - 6/25/2018, PEG 3 5/31/2018

Me too...I finished tx on 11-4-08 and eating is hard, everything your husband feels is the same for me. I drink VHC, Juven, Ensure and Boost drinks to break up the monotony. Sweets came back so I can enjoy hot tea with honey, I'll have soups but I'm not eating a lot of solids. It's tough but every new week is better then the last. It's the way it is...recovery is very slow. I'm not worried about eating I figure that will come in time. I go for the nutrition and calories.

7-16-08 age 37@Dx, T3N0M0 SCC 4.778cm tumor, left side of oral tongue, non smoker, casual drinker, I am the 4th in my family to have H&N cancer
8-13-08 left neck dissection and 40% of tongue removed, submandibular salivary gland & 14 nodes clean, no chemo, IMRTx35
11-4-08 Recovering & feeling better
Contributing Member (25+ posts)
Contributing Member (25+ posts)

Lottie - my husband had no appetite either and was getting all of his calories via the PEG. We asked the doctor about an appetite stimulant, and he said no, just use the PEG tube less - that will stimulate the appetite. He was right. The only way your husband will feel hungry again is if he IS hungry! As soon as Tim started to not use the PEG (just cutting out two cans per day at first), he noticed his appetite coming back. He seems to be one of the luckier ones in that he's been able to eat pizza (not the crust ends though!) - it was the first real thing he ate!

What Margaret wrote is true - your husband just needs to look at eating as something he HAS to do, not necessarily something he's going to enjoy for awhile. And from what you've written about his "issues" - pain while eating doesn't seem to be one of them, which is a good thing!

Tim really wanted to get rid of the PEG, so that was the motivation he needed to make himself eat and not rely on the PEG. It was definitely frustrating and more than one meal ended in tears (both of us). But after he hadn't used the PEG for a week, the doctor said it could come out, which it did last Tuesday.

Your husband will get there too!

Caregiver to husband, 44, nonsmoker, nondrinker
Diagnosed 7/15/08 with BOT SCC, stage IVa.
Two positive nodes removed
Cisplatin and erbitux ended 10/15/08
Radiation over 10/20/08
Back to work 11/24/08
PEG out 12/9/08
Scans 12/2008 and 3/2009 Clear
Senior Patient Advocate
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
Senior Patient Advocate

I didn't have the Peg but the eating part post Tx is both physical and mental. It will just take lots of time but slowly and surely things will improve and I hope, like me, he will once again enjoy eating everything just like before. Understand I was not satisfied until about 16 months post Tx so tell him to hang in there.

David

Age 58 at Dx, HPV16+ SCC, Stage IV BOT+2 nodes, non smoker, casual drinker, exercise nut, Cisplatin x 3 & concurrent IMRT x 35,(70 Gy), no surgery, no Peg, Tx at Moffitt over Aug 06. Jun 07, back to riding my bike 100 miles a wk. Now doing 12 Spin classes and 60 outdoor miles per wk. Nov 13 completed Hilly Century ride for Cancer, 104 miles, 1st Place in my age group. Apr 2014 & 15, Spun for 9 straight hrs to raise $$ for YMCA's Livestrong Program. Certified Spin Instructor Jun 2014.

Interesting Time...yup and lots of it.. when I go out to eat or even at home here (home doesn't matter as much) it takes me a long time to eat sometimes gotta reheat the food a couple of times before I am done. Yummy...but eating out everyone seems to be waiting for me...They all still smoke so I just tell them to go out and have a few they come back and well I would just be finishing up...Can't accuse me of not enjoying...Oh yeah last night I learned rice is not a good food post free flap surgery. If I could donate some of my extra pounds to you folks I would gladly do it. I believe in sharing...

Dianne..treatment at cc at Victoria Hospital, London, Ontario...insulin dependant, Surgery Sept 8/08 Tracheotomy,composite resection and bilateral neck dissection, left radial forearm free flap... T2N0 squamous cell carcinoma. No radiation A little over 2 yrs clear YAY
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)

At almost three years out from nuking, I still have the 'problem' of something like mint ice cream (Tillamook came out with Tilla-Mint!) will taste great at first but my taster changes after a few bites and then I don't taste it. Gotten worse, of course, when they removed a lot of taste buds with the front part of my tongue.

Age 67 1/2
Ventral Tongue SCC T2N0M0G1 10/05
Anterior Tongue SCC T2N0M0G2 6/08
Base of Tongue SCC T2N0M0G2 12/08
Three partial glossectomy (10/05,11/05,6/08), PEG, 37 XRT 66.6 Gy 1/06
Neck dissection, trach, PEG & forearm free flap (6/08)
Total glossectomy, trach, PEG & thigh free flap (12/08)
On August 21, 2010 at 9:20 am, Pete went off to play with the ratties in the sky.
Pete D #86102 12-14-2008 06:56 PM

If your hubby is holding his own with the eight then he is doing something right..Dianne I bet you use the nuker as much as I do for keeping even oatmeal or cream of wheat hot. LOLFor 1/2 of a sandwich with just a tad of peanut butter, plenty of butter and some jelly, it took me 20 minutes to eat all of it. Now I keep a big glass of milk beside me and wash food down when I have that problem.

Since posting this. UPMC, Pittsburgh, Oct 2011 until Jan. I averaged about 2 to 3 surgeries a week there. w Can't have jaw made as bone is deteroriating steaily that is left in jaw. Mersa is to blame. Feeding tube . Had trach for 4mos. Got it out April.
--- Passed away 5/14/14, will be greatly missed by everyone here
EzJim #86216 12-16-2008 02:30 PM
Gold Member (200+ posts)
OP Offline
Gold Member (200+ posts)

Thank you so much for your help everyone.

The day after I posted my message, my husband started trying more foods. Not sure what happened... but he became less tense about attempting to eat. To our surprise cold cereal went relatively well. There is definitley a mental component and that is also true for the caregiver/cook.

WendyinPgh - I will ask MDs about cutting back on tube feedings. However, he is not hungry in AM either. I read an old post that said some patients are never hungry until PEG is actually removed.

GI office uses guideline of 1 month maintaining weight, without tube feedings, before removing PEG.

David - I told him about your 16 month time frame and he appreciates being prepared for that possibility.

Lately things in general seem a little more normal, as side effects are starting to decrease. Lottie

CG to husband, dx @ age 65, nonsmoker/social drinker. Dx 5/08 SCC Stage IV, BOT T1N2aM0. 33 IMRT - completed 9/12/08. Induction Chemo (Cisplatin, Taxotere & 5FU), plus concurrent Cisplatin.
1/09 PEG removed; 5/09 neg PET/CT; 5/10 PET/CT NED
Dental extraction & HBOT 2013; ORN 2014; Debridement/Tissue Transfer & HBOT 2016
Senior Patient Advocate
Senior Patient Advocate

Man the recovery is tough, maybe tougher than the Tx because we never know when it's going to be over and since each of us can recover differently it's hard to predict what his might be so just tell him to expect a long recovery and lets hope he's pleasantly surprised.

David

Age 58 at Dx, HPV16+ SCC, Stage IV BOT+2 nodes, non smoker, casual drinker, exercise nut, Cisplatin x 3 & concurrent IMRT x 35,(70 Gy), no surgery, no Peg, Tx at Moffitt over Aug 06. Jun 07, back to riding my bike 100 miles a wk. Now doing 12 Spin classes and 60 outdoor miles per wk. Nov 13 completed Hilly Century ride for Cancer, 104 miles, 1st Place in my age group. Apr 2014 & 15, Spun for 9 straight hrs to raise $$ for YMCA's Livestrong Program. Certified Spin Instructor Jun 2014.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Eva Grayzel 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
iMarc845, amndcllns01, Jina, VintageMel, rahul320
13,105 Registered Users