Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#85687 12-08-2008 11:22 PM
emmak Offline OP
OP Offline

Hello, My name is Emma & my husband has oral cancer that has migrated to his cheek. He also has Alzheimer's and we have chosen no treatment. He is 77.
I look forward to reading others posts of their experiences with this type of cancer as time allows.
Best wished to each & every one of you.

Emma: husband age 77 with SCC and Alzheimer's. Having no treatment.
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)

What about pain/disease management? Something to make sure it doesn't get out of control and make a bad situation worse. I understand why one would say, "No, I'm not going through that procedure because.." for whatever reason. But to do nothing just hits me in the gut. A friends mother had terminal lung cancer and she did chemo to alleviate pain, my GF's father did the same thing. Some treatments typically used for cures can be utilized in other ways for different outcomes.

7-16-08 age 37@Dx, T3N0M0 SCC 4.778cm tumor, left side of oral tongue, non smoker, casual drinker, I am the 4th in my family to have H&N cancer
8-13-08 left neck dissection and 40% of tongue removed, submandibular salivary gland & 14 nodes clean, no chemo, IMRTx35
11-4-08 Recovering & feeling better

Oops..How rude of me...to do nothing caught me off guard.

Welcome to OCF and I'm sorry for your husbands situation. I want to wish you and your husband the best that is available.

My prayers and thoughts are with you

7-16-08 age 37@Dx, T3N0M0 SCC 4.778cm tumor, left side of oral tongue, non smoker, casual drinker, I am the 4th in my family to have H&N cancer
8-13-08 left neck dissection and 40% of tongue removed, submandibular salivary gland & 14 nodes clean, no chemo, IMRTx35
emmak Offline OP
OP Offline

I understand how you see it that "doing nothing" does sound like sticking your head in the sand. Although my husb has Alzheimer's he was still able to understand enough to make an informed decision. He had filled out an advanced directive several years before and his decision after diagnosis was the same as it was prior.
Alzheimer's is such a terriable way to die, as cancer can be also. Had the choice been up to me I would have made the same choice he did. There are also other health issues at play also. Life is precious but quality of life needed to be a consideration for us as well.
Had he opted for surgery it would have required removal of half of his face including an eye and that would only slow the process. Also the subsequent treatments would have required three weekly 100 mile trips for eight weeks and physically that would have been too much for him also. For all we have family in that area, putting him in unfamilar surroundings would play havoc with his alzheimer's. His age is also a factor. I feel he made the correct decision for his situation.

emmak Offline OP
OP Offline

Thank you. All prayers are much appreciated.

Have you contacted Hospice? I would contact them immediately in order to make this situation as smooth as possible. They can and do help tremendously. i cannot say enough good things about them.

Senior Patient Advocate
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
Senior Patient Advocate

I'm sorry to hear about your husband. We each have to decide what's best for us. Check into Hospice as they can make this journey much better for all.

David

Age 58 at Dx, HPV16+ SCC, Stage IV BOT+2 nodes, non smoker, casual drinker, exercise nut, Cisplatin x 3 & concurrent IMRT x 35,(70 Gy), no surgery, no Peg, Tx at Moffitt over Aug 06. Jun 07, back to riding my bike 100 miles a wk. Now doing 12 Spin classes and 60 outdoor miles per wk. Nov 13 completed Hilly Century ride for Cancer, 104 miles, 1st Place in my age group. Apr 2014 & 15, Spun for 9 straight hrs to raise $$ for YMCA's Livestrong Program. Certified Spin Instructor Jun 2014.
emmak Offline OP
OP Offline

Thank you for your posts. We are already set up with Hospice. The nurse comes in weekly and is great as are the aids as well.
Thankfully my son lives next door & is so willing to give me breaks. My stepdaughter (his daughter) calls often and frequently comes for a week or two at a time for all she lives several states away. In fact she will arrive tomorrow for a weeks stay.
The tumor on his face (started inside mouth) has grown quite a bit and seems to be headed for the back of his neck. He now has several lumps beneath his full beard that appear to be draining a bit. My biggest fear is of him having a bleed out and not being able to control it. Drainage I can deal with. When he was first diagnoised in early Aug we were told that this type of cancer generally migrates upward and would likely go to the brain.
This has been a bad year for me. I lost my oldest brother to lung cancer in Feb. and another brother to brain cancer in April.
I am so glad that I tunned 62 and was able to retire to make his last months as comfortable as possible. Gotta look for those silver lingings.

Senior Patient Advocate
Senior Patient Advocate

Emma,

There are a few here that have been through exactly what you face and I hope that they will respond to you. I will thry to contact them if you wish.

David

Age 58 at Dx, HPV16+ SCC, Stage IV BOT+2 nodes, non smoker, casual drinker, exercise nut, Cisplatin x 3 & concurrent IMRT x 35,(70 Gy), no surgery, no Peg, Tx at Moffitt over Aug 06. Jun 07, back to riding my bike 100 miles a wk. Now doing 12 Spin classes and 60 outdoor miles per wk. Nov 13 completed Hilly Century ride for Cancer, 104 miles, 1st Place in my age group. Apr 2014 & 15, Spun for 9 straight hrs to raise $$ for YMCA's Livestrong Program. Certified Spin Instructor Jun 2014.
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)

Emma,

You are in my thoughts....I'm happy you are able to be with your husband and you don't have to go to work. I bet he's happy you are there:)

Good luck to you,
Suzanne

Suzanne
T1 SCC on right side of tongue
Age 31...27 when diagnosed
4 partial glossectomies
No chemo or radiation
Biopsy on 2/2/10-Clear
Surgery needed again...no later than April 2011
Loving life and just became a mother on 11/25/10
It's not what we CAN'T do..it's what we CAN do:)
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
amndcllns01, Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916
13,104 Registered Users
Forum Statistics