Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#84236 11-15-2008 01:31 PM
Supporting Member (50+ posts)
OP Offline

I need some help and advice on having implants done. I have seen a dentist that does implants, he is doing 2 implants on the upper left, 2 on the lower left, 4 upper right and 3 on the lower right. The one who wants to do the implants say I need that many to help the plants down. He also stated that it a waste of money to do the HBO and I do not need it.

My family dentist office manager who is also my sister asked me if she could show the plan to a Oral surgeon that comes in there office once a month. He freaked over the plan, he was telling her that a total of 11 implants are to many for person that has gone through radiation treatment. I should do a couple of seasons of HBO and then keep doing HBO during the healing of the implants. He also stated that I should not have more then 4 implants put in.

I just need some advice from anyone that could help me with it. I do not know what to do with this.

Thank you

Round 1 5/2007 - 35 Rad treatments and 6 chemo of cisplatin
TPN feeding for 5 months during treatment and after.
Tumor was on the right side of the tongue.

Round 2. Tumor on the lower back right jaw area. Surgery on 3/12/2010 to remove the tumor, rebuild the jaw and some work on the back tongue.
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)

lvredrock,
I'll try and give you the Reader's Digest version.
Your profile doesn't tell me exactly what you were diagnosed with and where and what treatment you had, (surgery, chemo, radiation). If you had radiation where was it directed, how many RADs did you recieve?
Implants are the Cadillac dental treatment option to replace missing teeth. I recommend them regularly to my patients.
I would really like to see a panoramic X-ray of you to determine what I would suggest. I have always erred on the multiple side when placing and having surgeons place implants. If I want 2 in a particular area I usually ask the surgeon to place at least one if not two extra. My rationale for this is, if one implant fails I have others that are already osseointegrated that I can rely on for support. I really cannot comment on the 4 versus 11 scenario unless I can view an x-ray. The surgeon may be concerned about bone healing but, in my experience if you have one implant in an area that will heal, two others will also heal. Physiology and bone healing happens across the site so one hole versus three holes all with implants should heal at the same rate.
HBO is a cornerstone for success in implant treatment in radiation compromised bone. You should make sure you're working with a surgeon that knows the ins and outs of HBO and has successfully treated similar cases.
That's all for now. I would be happy to answer any questions you may have so contact me if you need to.
Cheers,
Mike

Dentist since 1995, 12 year Cancer Survivor, Father, Husband, Thankful to so many who supported me on my journey so far, and more than happy to comfort a friend.
Live, Laugh, Love & Learn.
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

Adding to what Mike has said, I find it hard to understand how a dentist could say that HBO is a waste of money. It will greatly increase the chances of success of the implants. Any invasive procedure, such as extractions or implant placement done in radiated bone will increase the risk of osteoradinecrosis (ORN).

You can do a search of this website for HBO and ORN as well as a google search of the internet for more information on the importance of having HBO before implant surgery.

Jerry

Jerry

Retired Dentist, 59 years old at diagnosis. SCC of the left lateral border of the tongue (Stage I). Partial glossectomy and 30 nodes removed, 4/6/05. Nodes all clear. No chemo no radiation 18 year survivor.

"Whatever doesn't kill me, makes me stronger"
OP Offline

thank you for all the great advice. I going to go back to my Oral Surgeon here in Las Vegas. He the one that removed my teeth. I am just glad that my sister was looking out for me. I hope I can get the work done before the end of the year. My company is jumping insurance companies. I had to fight for 9 month to them to approve the replacements.

My cancer was on my right side of tounge, 6 weeks of chemo and 35 radiation zaps. Still working on getting my taste back and can not do anything sweet.

thanks you again

Round 1 5/2007 - 35 Rad treatments and 6 chemo of cisplatin
TPN feeding for 5 months during treatment and after.
Tumor was on the right side of the tongue.

Round 2. Tumor on the lower back right jaw area. Surgery on 3/12/2010 to remove the tumor, rebuild the jaw and some work on the back tongue.

Moderated by  Eva Grayzel 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
iMarc845, amndcllns01, Jina, VintageMel, rahul320
13,105 Registered Users
Forum Statistics