Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#83501 11-04-2008 10:47 PM
emmak Offline OP
OP Offline

My name is EmmaK. My husband, age 77, was diagnoised in early July with squamous cell carcinoma. He has chosen to take no treatment and I support his decision due to the fact that he also has alzheimer's.
His cancer started inside his mouth and he has a fairly large tumor on the left side of his face.

Emma: husband age 77 with SCC and Alzheimer's. Having no treatment.
Platinum Member (300+ posts)

i am so sorry you have both been handed such a burden with two things to deal with. May you be granted peace and grace through all of this and I pray for your husband that he does not suffer. Please let us know how we may be of help and support to you through this time. ((HUGS))

Rita - Age 44
wife, mother of 4 - ages 3,16,21,24 & grandma to 1
(R upper) Maxillectomy 8/8/08 - UW / Seattle, WA.

===============================

"Those who think by the inch and speak by the yard, should be kicked by the foot."

emmak Offline OP
OP Offline

So far there has been no pain whatsoever. I pray this continues. I just retired last month so I can now be with him full time.
I firmly believe that God answers our prayers. When he was diagnoised with Alzherimer's in 2004 I prayed that he would be able to stay alone until I was old enough to retire. I also prayed that he would pass from anything other than Alzheimer's. He was diagnoised with the facial tumor in July, I turnned 62 in Aug. So I feel both of my prayers were answered. We have Hospice involved. I am wondering about his longevity without treatment. The Dr said he would be very surprised if he was here at the one year mark and most likely 3 to 6 months. It has been three months and I think he will be here for quite some time yet.
Thank you for a quick reply to my post.
I wish the best for you.

Last edited by emmak; 11-04-2008 11:14 PM.

Emma: husband age 77 with SCC and Alzheimer's. Having no treatment.

I agree that we have a God who answers when we call upon Him. I am glad you have hospice involved. They are so caring and understanding, they are of great support for both of you. Don't be afraid to let them know when you or hubby need something.

He may well defy all odds .. one can never tell with this stuff. As the road gets harder, please stay plugged in to this group of great people. This is a wonderful place to go for information and support.

Stay well and God bless.
Rita

Rita - Age 44
wife, mother of 4 - ages 3,16,21,24 & grandma to 1
(R upper) Maxillectomy 8/8/08 - UW / Seattle, WA.

===============================

"Those who think by the inch and speak by the yard, should be kicked by the foot."

Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

No one knows when the last day will be. He maybe could end up with many months to live and I hope he makes the best pf them that he can. I feel for him going thru both diseases and especially for you. You are in my prayers.

Since posting this. UPMC, Pittsburgh, Oct 2011 until Jan. I averaged about 2 to 3 surgeries a week there. w Can't have jaw made as bone is deteroriating steaily that is left in jaw. Mersa is to blame. Feeding tube . Had trach for 4mos. Got it out April.
--- Passed away 5/14/14, will be greatly missed by everyone here

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
amndcllns01, Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916
13,104 Registered Users
Forum Statistics