darkeyedlady0 #82761 10-24-2008 01:33 PM
Platinum Member (300+ posts)
Platinum Member (300+ posts)

Don't do any running. A good brisk walk in the beautiful fall
air looking at the leaves and trees along the way. Find a good
place to hike and enjoy the view as well as getting rid of some
nervous energy.
I have a sled dog, and boy does he like to walk with me but I bet
I almost wore him out walking so much last fall. It helped so much!
It increases your seratonin, which helps keep back the depression that accompanies most of us at one point or another, increases your blood flow and is so good for your bones.
Maybe we should all start a dog walking business!!
Thinking of you!
Debbie

Partial mandibulectomy and neck dissection 2/3/07. T2NOMO.
Had 14 hour operation which included reconstruction of jaw.
Reconstruction failed. Some radiation, no chemo.
peace4uall #82771 10-24-2008 04:30 PM
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

Good thinking Debbie. Maybe if I come to VA you will walk me. J/K I like to walk to but for right now I have to watch I don't overdo it. I had a Bassett that would run for his leash if I asked him if he wanted to take a walk. That dog understood a lot of things .

Since posting this. UPMC, Pittsburgh, Oct 2011 until Jan. I averaged about 2 to 3 surgeries a week there. w Can't have jaw made as bone is deteroriating steaily that is left in jaw. Mersa is to blame. Feeding tube . Had trach for 4mos. Got it out April.
--- Passed away 5/14/14, will be greatly missed by everyone here
EzJim #82798 10-24-2008 08:10 PM
AmyK Offline OP
Senior Member (100+ posts)
OP Offline

I have two very soiled dogs. The oldest is a huskey mix and she walks well. She also understands lots of things. The "baby" was a stray when we got him and he is still learning to walk on a lead. And will deside to pull me down the rode. I don't know what kind of dog he might be. We just call him "American" if someone asks!
The kids are all old! 23,22,19,14. I wish I had some little kids around here. I don't even have little kids neighbors to borrow.
I started running when I stopped smoking this spring. I started to put on too much weight. (wish I had it back now). I have just always been real physical and sweating kinda clears the mind. I'll have to find something to do, or I will just drive myself crazy!

40 yr old. Stage IV SCC found left tonsil. PET/CT shows cancer on base of tongue, floor of mouth, lymph nodes on both sides. HPV 16 pos. 6 weeks of cisplatin, 43 days of radiation. 73gy on each side.
ND March 2, 2009
reoccurance dx'd Aug 19, 2009
AmyK #82815 10-24-2008 10:02 PM
Administrator, Director of Patient Support Services
Administrator, Director of Patient Support Services

Amy:

I have found that getting my yard ready for winter has helped me to feel much better about myself. I have ordered 2 cords of firewood and stacked it right along with my kids. I have rakes and cleaned out the shed and garage. It gives a sense of accomplishment and more energy. My house and yard went to heck for the past year and a half and it made me feel upset. My house is only a couple years old, I moved in and a few months later got sick. I never even had the time to properly unpack everything. Ive now cleaned out several closets and made alot of progress in getting things to how they should have been before I got sick.

Dont overdo it but its ok to still be active with having the PEG. It sure beats letting that imagination get the best of you.

Walking dogs is fun, but watch out if they pull you. My darn dog (the big rottweiler) took a flying leap off the porch with me holding the leash last summer. I broke my pinky finger. Just last week I had her out and she went after a chipmunk and she knocked me over. Probably a pretty funny sight seeing me rolling down the septic mound and into my garden.

Maybe you could get together your holiday decorations so they are handy. Or how about Christmas shopping now? You might not feel very well when it is time to do the shopoping later. How about cooking some big meals and freezing them for your family? Catching up with old friends. Making a list of people who to help you by driving you to tx or things like laundry, shopping, pharmacy runs, etc. Just a couple ideas.

Christine
SCC 6/15/07 L chk & by L molar both Stag I, age44
2x cispltn-35 IMRT end 9/27/07
-65 lbs in 2 mo, no caregvr
Clear PET 1/08
4/4/08 recur L chk Stag I
surg 4/16/08 clr marg
215 HBO dives
3/09 teeth out, trismus
7/2/09 recur, Stg IV
8/24/09 trach, ND, mandiblctmy
3wks medicly inducd coma
2 mo xtended hospital stay, ICU & burn unit
PICC line IV antibx 8 mo
10/4/10, 2/14/11 reconst surg
OC 3x in 3 years
very happy to be alive smile
AmyK #82816 10-24-2008 10:09 PM
Platinum Member (200+ posts)

Amy,

Well, I guess that kind of puts a damper on the family game night and Halloween costume ideas, but at least the "kids" are old enough to put to work on that yard work. smile

Dog walking hasn't been too much of an option for me, either. I also have a husky mix and he's fine to walk, but then there's my shepherd! When I got him as a pup I started to train him to the lead, but hurricanes, family crises, and finally my OC got in the way of his training. He's a lovable pup who would never deliberately hurt anyone, but he's also 120 lbs and full of energy! Even now, 2 years post Tx, I'm only 86 lbs. He loves and listens to me, but when he gets excited - which is all the time - it takes him a bit to even hear me. My son says he thinks the dog has ADHD.

Well, there's still the dinner idea if you don't hate cooking. Sometimes I do the whole holiday dinner thing "just cuz" - Turkey, roast beef, whatever with all the fixin's. I've said many times that it's got to be God's little joke - now that I have the time and interest and have become a fantastic cook, I can't eat any of it. I do have fun making it, though, and when I get teeth I'll be able to enjoy eating more of it.

Maybe you could get a start on your Christmas or other holiday lists. You could wander around the internet window shopping and mark down ideas for gifts. Maybe it could help you keep your mind busy for now. And maybe you could take that walk, either alone, or with just the one dog if you can sneak out without the other one getting too upset.

I really think that after Monday when you get your first treatment you won't feel quite so antsy because you will know what's happening each day. You just need to get through the next 2 days & nights. And remember there's usually someone on line here if you want to talk.

Take care,

Lani

SCC part glossectomy 3/06, recur 8/06 glossectomy, floor of mouth, part of jaw removed, RT/chemo thru 10/12/06, PET clear 7/08
"A bend in the road is not the end of the road, unless you fail to make the turn"
Passed away 12/14/08
Lani G #82977 10-26-2008 07:54 PM

Amy,
You should get used to the mask pretty quickly. I was sleeping through treatment about half way through. Make sure that they put the pillow under your legs and ask for a blanket if you are cold. They keep the treatment rooms well air conditioned as a rule. The mask will feel looser as you lose weight as well. They are typically a little tight in the beginning, probably taking that in mind. Also if the neck positioning device is backwards or for a different patient let them know immediately - that can make it very uncomfortable.

Another tip - make sure that YOUR name is on the treatment plan on the computer monitor.

I'm amazed that they don't have a stereo or boom box in the room. You can bring your own. Make a CD of your favorite tunes. That's what I did.

Gary Allsebrook
Dx 11/22/02, SCC, 6 x 3 cm Polypoid tumor, rt tonsil, Stage III/IVA, T3N0M0 G1/2
Tx 1/28/03 - 3/19/03, Cisplatin ct x2, IMRT, bilateral, with boost, x35(69.96Gy)
"You are a mist that appears for a little while and then vanishes" (James 4:14 NIV)
Gary #82980 10-26-2008 08:20 PM

Amy,

I started out pretty thin to begin with and the table was so hard on my tailbone. They had a "donut" ready for me for each treatment to take the pressure off and make me comfortable. It made a world of difference.

And me too, Gary. I slept through most of the treatments after a while.

SCC part glossectomy 3/06, recur 8/06 glossectomy, floor of mouth, part of jaw removed, RT/chemo thru 10/12/06, PET clear 7/08
"A bend in the road is not the end of the road, unless you fail to make the turn"
Passed away 12/14/08
Lani G #83000 10-27-2008 07:30 AM
AmyK Offline OP
OP Offline

I hope I can sleep through all of this! Tomorrow is the day. I have turned into a very ugly human. I have bitten off the head of my poor husband. Only thing he ever did was love me. Throw a fit at Wal-mart. (Wal-mart always brings out the best in me). And if one more person tells me to be positive! ACK!!!

40 yr old. Stage IV SCC found left tonsil. PET/CT shows cancer on base of tongue, floor of mouth, lymph nodes on both sides. HPV 16 pos. 6 weeks of cisplatin, 43 days of radiation. 73gy on each side.
ND March 2, 2009
reoccurance dx'd Aug 19, 2009
AmyK #83001 10-27-2008 08:00 AM

Amy,

I'm sorry. I thought you were starting today. I wouldn't expect you to sleep through tomorrow, but soon it won't seem like a big deal. It doesn't hurt or burn or anything like that while you're being "zapped". I spent the first 2 1/2 weeks wondering what the big deal was. "This is nothing."

Of course then the burning sensation started in my mouth, lips, and throat and - can't & wouldn't lie to you - it gets worse. But still the treatments themselves weren't a problem at all for me. Just the effects of them.

I won't tell you to be positive. (I kind of like my head right where it is, thank you very much. smile ) But I will tell you to hang in there and fight back hard against this horrible thing. When the effects of the radiation start to get bad, you'll be at a point where the end is in sight and you can count down what's left.

And remember that your husband does love you so he understands why you're not your sunny "lil ole self" right now. I'm sure, because he loves you, that he's also going through his own Hell because of this. Most men feel that their job is to "fix" everything for their loved ones. Well, he can't fix this, and that truth was very hard for my husband to deal with.

I went to Home Depot yeterday and bought some beautiful autumn-colored flowers to dress up my walkway for the season, so I'm off to do one of my favorite things - plant and fuss in the dirt. But I'll keep checking the site from time to time today, so if you want to "talk", I'll be here.

Lani

Passed away 12/14/08
Lani G #83012 10-27-2008 02:29 PM
Senior Patient Advocate
Senior Patient Advocate

Like anything else, it will just take some time to get use to it so just be positive, Oh ooops!!!

David

Age 58 at Dx, HPV16+ SCC, Stage IV BOT+2 nodes, non smoker, casual drinker, exercise nut, Cisplatin x 3 & concurrent IMRT x 35,(70 Gy), no surgery, no Peg, Tx at Moffitt over Aug 06. Jun 07, back to riding my bike 100 miles a wk. Now doing 12 Spin classes and 60 outdoor miles per wk. Nov 13 completed Hilly Century ride for Cancer, 104 miles, 1st Place in my age group. Apr 2014 & 15, Spun for 9 straight hrs to raise $$ for YMCA's Livestrong Program. Certified Spin Instructor Jun 2014.
Page 5 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 9 10

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
amndcllns01, Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916
13,104 Registered Users
Forum Statistics