Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)

I was just in my local WalMart and they had two Biotene moutwashes, the standard and the PBF, and Biotene toothpaste, all under $5 each -- About 40-50 cents more for the PBF.

Age 67 1/2
Ventral Tongue SCC T2N0M0G1 10/05
Anterior Tongue SCC T2N0M0G2 6/08
Base of Tongue SCC T2N0M0G2 12/08
Three partial glossectomy (10/05,11/05,6/08), PEG, 37 XRT 66.6 Gy 1/06
Neck dissection, trach, PEG & forearm free flap (6/08)
Total glossectomy, trach, PEG & thigh free flap (12/08)
On August 21, 2010 at 9:20 am, Pete went off to play with the ratties in the sky.
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)

Hi all,
Just want to add a little about alcohol containing mouth rinses.
Alcohol dries out the oral tissues. Yes these rinses do reduce bacterial levels initially but, by drying out the tissues and removing and/or damaging the mucous membrane they reduce your bodies natural protective mechanism from working properly. The bacterial levels will return and on occasion go beyond normal levels. The burn you feel when you use them that is marketed as the product cleansing your mouth is actually the bodies response to an irritant, in this case, the effect of the alcohol drying the tissue. If you have impaired salivary gland function or already suffer from dry mouth the alcohol will only make this situation worse and can lead to tooth destruction.
There are many great products on the market that will cleanse your mouth, reduce bacterial levels, prevent bad breath and protect your teeth that do not contain alcohol. Ask your dentist, pharmacist or doctor to recommend one or try one of the products mentioned in previous posts.
Alcohol will also increase the carcinogenic effect of cigarette smoke on the oral tissues. So if you are a smoker first, quit smoking, and if you can't don't make the situation worse by rinsing with alcohol containing mouth rinses.
Cheers,
Mike

Dentist since 1995, 12 year Cancer Survivor, Father, Husband, Thankful to so many who supported me on my journey so far, and more than happy to comfort a friend.
Live, Laugh, Love & Learn.
Contributing Member (25+ posts)

Hi Dr. Mike,

I'm looking for a toohpaste similar to the one my husband Ken is using but can only get from his dentist. It cannot be bought over the counter. It costs $15 for a very small tube and is called "Control Rx Multi" (Omni Prevention Care is listed on the tube. It contains 1.1% sodium fluoride. He uses this at night only and uses Biotene in the mornning. I'm wondering if there is something similar that I can get on-line for less than $15 a tube!

He does the fluoride trays every night. Does he really need 1.1% sodium fluoride in his toothpaste too?

Thanks for your help.
Ken's wife, Linda

Linda,
Hi, I have been pondering my answer to your question, "Does he really need 1.1% sodium fluoride in his toothpaste too?" and to tell you the truth, been perplexed by how I should answer.
So... I have a few questions. How is his dental health? Are his salivary glands functioning normally? Does he have regular exams and hygiene appointments with his dentist? Is he experiencing pain, discomfort or sensitivity with his teeth?
Need, is a subjective observation. I determine what a patient "Needs" in my opinion, by my clinical observations of their history, my clinical findings, their current dental and medical health status, type of treatment I belive is required "needed", current research and my personal experience in treating similar patients. (Yes...I know this is very vague.) His dentist recommended he use it and I would suspect that this dentist feels that Ken will benefit from using it along with his nightly fluoride trays. If Ken chooses not to use this particular toothpaste for whatever reason will he experience anything detrimental, compared to nigh time fluoride tray use alone I don't know. I would surmise that the difference would be insignificant providing his dental health was already immaculate.
I have, in certain cases, advised patients to use night time fluoride trays and high concentration fluoride toothpastes and as well fluoride mouth rinses. I make these decisions based on the specifics of each case. The biggest consideration that steers me to add each item is overall dental health and patient compliance.
My experience has shown me that even if it is only a short term usage that I have usually been right. When I see stable dental health I eliminate one product at a time.
Hard to give you advice when I haven't seen Ken.
Are there cheaper products that are as effective, yes. Where do you find them depends on where you live and what is available.
I'll look into it for you and let you know.
Cheers,
Mike

Dentist since 1995, 12 year Cancer Survivor, Father, Husband, Thankful to so many who supported me on my journey so far, and more than happy to comfort a friend.
Live, Laugh, Love & Learn.
Administrator, Director of Patient Support Services
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
Administrator, Director of Patient Support Services
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

I use the Biotene mouthwash, havent tried the new one yet. Since trismus is a big issue with me, I cant use the trays, have to use a baby tootbrush. I still use Biotene toothpaste and a waterpik 3x per day. I use a 50/50 mix of water and prescription Peridex rinse with the waterpik. Anything else that I can do to help with my dental upkeep?

Christine
SCC 6/15/07 L chk & by L molar both Stag I, age44
2x cispltn-35 IMRT end 9/27/07
-65 lbs in 2 mo, no caregvr
Clear PET 1/08
4/4/08 recur L chk Stag I
surg 4/16/08 clr marg
215 HBO dives
3/09 teeth out, trismus
7/2/09 recur, Stg IV
8/24/09 trach, ND, mandiblctmy
3wks medicly inducd coma
2 mo xtended hospital stay, ICU & burn unit
PICC line IV antibx 8 mo
10/4/10, 2/14/11 reconst surg
OC 3x in 3 years
very happy to be alive smile

Hi again and thank you for your reply.

Ken has just seen a periodontist for gingivitis & periodontal disease. He is going to have 4 treatments of scaling/root planing hoping to avoid surgery. He has a few loose teeth (he was suppose to have a bridge done but that is not advised now).

We are just trying to save some money regarding the toothpaste with the 1.1% sodium fluoride @ $15 a tube (a very small tube at that). He does use the MI Paste which he also gets from the dentist.

His salivary glands, after 4 yrs., are still not functioning. I wonder if they ever will. He does use the fluoride trays every evening.

Thanks for your support and help.

Ken's wife Linda

PS - ever check into the dental appliance I mentioned that delivers water to the mouth? Very expensive here in IL!

Linda, don't know if you have prescription mail order (Like Medco) in your insurance, but if you do, that's a less expensive source.

You might also try CostCo pharmacy as they have a reputation for having the least expensive prescriptions -- One need NOT be a member to walk in and use the pharmacy.

Age 67 1/2
Ventral Tongue SCC T2N0M0G1 10/05
Anterior Tongue SCC T2N0M0G2 6/08
Base of Tongue SCC T2N0M0G2 12/08
Three partial glossectomy (10/05,11/05,6/08), PEG, 37 XRT 66.6 Gy 1/06
Neck dissection, trach, PEG & forearm free flap (6/08)
Total glossectomy, trach, PEG & thigh free flap (12/08)
On August 21, 2010 at 9:20 am, Pete went off to play with the ratties in the sky.
Platinum Member (300+ posts)
OP Offline
Platinum Member (300+ posts)

Hi Linda...

I use a device as a netti-pot (not as often as I should), and it works quite well.

I got it on Ebay (new) and it is not unlike a waterpick type device. the price seemed a little like a splurge but maybe "some" insurances will cover it?? For sure, section 125 (flex spending plans will, with a Drs note, I was reimbursed from my medical savings plan for it)

Mine has two different main modes.

1) is a nasal irrigator, with both a mist and a stream nozzle. It jets salt water into the nasal passages and helps reduce the incidence and duration of colds related to the sinuses.

Second is an ORAL stream and a hydrating mist nozzles. Very effective. I used biotene products in it and it works well for basic mositurizing, cleaning, etc

It's called Sinupulse and a quick google search will tell you A TON about it...

Last edited by Michaelii; 10-25-2008 11:42 AM.

Michael | 53 | SCC | Right Tonsil | Dx'd: 06-10-05 | STAGE IV, T3N2bM0 | 3 Nodes R Side | MRND & Tonsillectomy 06/29/05 Dr Fee/Stanford | 8 wks Rad/Chemo startd August 15th @ MSKCC, NY | Tx Ended: 09-27-05 | Cancer free at 16+ Yrs | After-Effects of Tx: Thyroid function is 0, ok salivary function, tinnitus, some scars, neck/face asymmetry, gastric reflux. 2017 dysphagia, L Carotid stent / 2019, R Carotid occluded not eligible for stent.2022 dental issues, possible ORN, memory/recall challenges.

Dr. Mike,

Please see my reply to your questions on 10/24. Thanks!

Pete, our insurance does not cover any dental products. But I will check Costco Pharmacy to see if they have anything similar to the toothpaste my husband is using.

Thanks Michael, I will check out the Sinupulse on google. I did buy the nasal irrigator for my son who has very bad sinus' but he needs surgery as one side of his nose is completely blocked (deviated spetum). He also has bad tonsils which I worry about all the time. He is 31. The ENT surgeon says he will keep an eye on them. I want him to have them out and biopsied but some doctors are hesitant to take them out unless absolutely necessary. Every since my husband Ken had oral cancer (right tonsil as you) I worry about my son's tonsils. I'm glad to see that you are cancer free at 3 yrs. Ken is cancer free at 4 yrs. and will be retiring next yr. He deserves it!

Ken's wife, Linda

MSG Offline
Supporting Member (50+ posts)
Supporting Member (50+ posts)

The ENT I just saw said I have tonsillitis. Still thinks I have acid reflux vs. some kind of cancer. Do you guys know how we can determine if the tonsillitis is really benign, or SCC?

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
amndcllns01, Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916
13,104 Registered Users
Forum Statistics