Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)

[quote=Eileen]Pete D. You should be massaging the scar also so it doesn't tighten up. Massage across it. I also used Biafine, the cream I used for radiation burns on the scar. It is a deep wound healing cream with Vitamin E. It cannot be used on an open wound. Talk to your PT about massaging scar.

Take care,
Eileen [/quote]
The PT has given me clear instructions not only about massaging the scars but also about massaging the lymph nodes to which they now must drain and how to move the lymphatic fluids to the nodes. Plus shoulder rotation and deep breathing to loosen it all up.

Age 67 1/2
Ventral Tongue SCC T2N0M0G1 10/05
Anterior Tongue SCC T2N0M0G2 6/08
Base of Tongue SCC T2N0M0G2 12/08
Three partial glossectomy (10/05,11/05,6/08), PEG, 37 XRT 66.6 Gy 1/06
Neck dissection, trach, PEG & forearm free flap (6/08)
Total glossectomy, trach, PEG & thigh free flap (12/08)
On August 21, 2010 at 9:20 am, Pete went off to play with the ratties in the sky.
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)
OP Offline

The funny thing about this is my pt has never had a case like mine before and has asked collegues about how to deal with it and she mentioned something about massage and doc says wait till it heals totally then discuss some of those methods but continue other stretches and such...my pt is so intrigued by my surgery and how to help me...which I think is a good thing cause she is excited when she figures out or finds out something new...she said I make her job interesting and more challenging...

Dianne..treatment at cc at Victoria Hospital, London, Ontario...insulin dependant, Surgery Sept 8/08 Tracheotomy,composite resection and bilateral neck dissection, left radial forearm free flap... T2N0 squamous cell carcinoma. No radiation A little over 2 yrs clear YAY
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

The Biafine cream is a presciption drug so you will have to get script from doctor. I don't remember for certain when I started PT after surgery. I think it was 2 months after first surgery because first surgeon didn't think to send me there and one month after second surgery because I had gotten smarter by then. Obviously wait until your doctor says OK and don't use creams until you OK them with him.

Take care,
Eileen

----------------------
Aug 1997 unknown primary, Stage III
mets to 1 lymph node in neck; rt ND, 36 XRT rad
Aug 2001 tiny tumor on larynx, Stage I total laryngectomy; left ND
June 5, 2010 dx early stage breast cancer
June 9, 2011 SCC 1.5 cm hypo pharynx, 70% P-16 positive, no mets, Stage I
OP Offline

Thanks and yeah I am listening to dr he has the bottom line but I find to loosen up some of the muscles to rub them in small circles helps alot...I also do not go near the incision cause of fear of infection but where I can I manipulate the muscle a bit and do mean a bit cause I don't have very strong hands or fingers due to previous conditions and surgeries so all I can do is just to make the stretch work or ease some of the pressure I am hoping that dr can arrange and we can figure out how to get massaging covered....

Dianne

Dianne..treatment at cc at Victoria Hospital, London, Ontario...insulin dependant, Surgery Sept 8/08 Tracheotomy,composite resection and bilateral neck dissection, left radial forearm free flap... T2N0 squamous cell carcinoma. No radiation A little over 2 yrs clear YAY

My first PT session was two months and four days after surgery -- My PT had to bone up on Lymphedema Massage techniques to be sure she was remembering it all correctly (She was!). It's primarily in use after mastectomies.

BTW, loosening the scars (mine are really bad because of the prior radiation) is called 'mobilizing'.

Age 67 1/2
Ventral Tongue SCC T2N0M0G1 10/05
Anterior Tongue SCC T2N0M0G2 6/08
Base of Tongue SCC T2N0M0G2 12/08
Three partial glossectomy (10/05,11/05,6/08), PEG, 37 XRT 66.6 Gy 1/06
Neck dissection, trach, PEG & forearm free flap (6/08)
Total glossectomy, trach, PEG & thigh free flap (12/08)
On August 21, 2010 at 9:20 am, Pete went off to play with the ratties in the sky.
OP Offline

Well something I hope will be done cause my incision is really tight especially when I go out in the cold all the muscles around the surgery area just contract. My doctor said to wait until next appointment and we will look into it ...not sure that pt is covered...I am hoping even if I have to go to the hospital..My right side hurts more than left around the trach site and under the incision is well one huge knot...I know it has only been less than 2 months but people are working after a neck dissection in a shorter time period than I am still working at getting the swelling down...I know every one is different but I am getting impatient...Still have a smile though and really do understand the reality...just like to blow off a little steam...I am so grateful that so far no radiation or further surgery has been needed...I have a fairly good range of motion...but still a lot of swelling...and dam it couldn't avoid for sure the cold going around the house despite my excessive wiping and washing of hands and spraying air I am still sick :((

I am very impressed with the way massage helps well with any injury...so if it isn't covered I will have to learn real fast

Your enthusiam shines thru like a light. I luv happy people like you. It makes the days so much easier. I have a tight problem where they did the dissection, especially in the mornings. I rub in circles too and it does help.

Since posting this. UPMC, Pittsburgh, Oct 2011 until Jan. I averaged about 2 to 3 surgeries a week there. w Can't have jaw made as bone is deteroriating steaily that is left in jaw. Mersa is to blame. Feeding tube . Had trach for 4mos. Got it out April.
--- Passed away 5/14/14, will be greatly missed by everyone here
OP Offline

Thanks for your encouragement and kind words... I actually went to work today a fill in for about 4 hrs Gosh did that feel great I actually felt like a part of the real world again although some customers kinda looked at me funny when I talked until I explain about surgery and my regulars well lots of smiles and hugs... it actually helped the stiffness and but now at night it is tightening up again I guess I will have to stay in perpetual motion for this not to knot up...I am fighting this cold with every thing that I have...not sure how I will react to chest cold at this point...so wish me luck... going to bed and try to get some sleep now...

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Brian Hill 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
amndcllns01, Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916
13,104 Registered Users