Next Thread
Print Thread
#82554 10-22-2008 03:30 PM
MS T Offline OP
Contributing Member (25+ posts)
OP Offline
Contributing Member (25+ posts)

Wow oh Wow!

Friday when we went in for Hubby's 28th rad we also had our weekly meet with his RO. Suddenly out of the blue he tells us, " well you must be excited, only 3 more to go!" I think both our jaws hit the ground. We were stunned! Of coarse all the questions started flying. He just grinned and told us nope 31 that's all. 37 was the max number he would have gotten but when the treatment plan was drawn up 31 was the number! Wow! Silly us, we never asked after the profile and plan had been done exactly how many it was gonna be.

Anyway. Were done! Were DONE! He had his last rad this afternoon and his last Chemo was Monday! and thank goodness for that. The cisplatin really does cause a lot more nausea then the taxol,carbo he was on. I'm so glad he only had to have two cisplatin.

So now were gearing up for the recovery phase. I already told him I'm not gonna let things get lax around here yet. He still needs to push those fluids and get all his cals for the day. ~giggle~. I'm not quite done "torturing" him yet either with skin care and all. He's made it through all this without any blisters to his neck and the redness is minimal. I still plan to treat his neck every day for ~shrug~ I'm not too sure maybe next 4 days? Will the burning effects from radiation be done by then? I figured I'd play it by ear and just keep "Lindi'ng" him as we call it, until the redness starts to fade more.
I don't know if anyone else has tried the Lindi(brand name) cooler rolls? We've been using them from the start. Hubby hasn't had any blisters, or weepy skin and he's red like a day at the beach with no sunscreen but not that dark raw almost purple red I've seen some folks with. His skin is well hydrated and he's had no problems with dry,chapped,flaky,weepy skin or raw areas either. I'd highly recommend it! It's been very soothing for him. We use them right after TX and then again before bed and once more in the morning when he wakes up. I'm no expert on how most radiation burns look like or the skin problems that radiation patients go thru but all the nurses and Dr.'s have commented over and over again how good his neck looks. So I believe the Lindi rolls have made a significant difference. They seem to notice anyway. Oh! and insurance pays for them too.

OK, I'm starting to ramble. Sorry folks. Just so happy we can concentrate on recovery now without the daily curve ball of radiation and the weekly chemo.

~Ija~

Ija wife-husband 47y healthy nonsmoker,nvr chewed.Dx SCC 01/05 primary left anterior toungue w/2 surgeries 02/05 no rad/chemo recurrence 12/07 no rad/chemo. 07/08/08 modified lt radical neck disection 3 nodes removed 2 pos SCC. TX 090808 taxol & carboplatinx7 radx37 w/ethyol.
Administrator, Director of Patient Support Services
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
Administrator, Director of Patient Support Services
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

lja:

CONGRATS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thats such great news that your hubby is finished. Now let the recovery begin smile

As far as skin care goes.....dont ease up on any skin care yet. With the weather turning cooler and the dry heat inside, keep putting the creams on him for several weeks yet. Dont know about those Lindi rolls you talked about, sounds like it wworked very very well for him. Im over 1 year out and my skin still needs extra moisturizer where I had rad tx.

Just think next month this time, your hubby will be so much better. It will take about 2/3 long weeks yet before he starts to come around. Right now rest, hydration, nutrition will help him heal quickly.

It really is almost over smile

Christine
SCC 6/15/07 L chk & by L molar both Stag I, age44
2x cispltn-35 IMRT end 9/27/07
-65 lbs in 2 mo, no caregvr
Clear PET 1/08
4/4/08 recur L chk Stag I
surg 4/16/08 clr marg
215 HBO dives
3/09 teeth out, trismus
7/2/09 recur, Stg IV
8/24/09 trach, ND, mandiblctmy
3wks medicly inducd coma
2 mo xtended hospital stay, ICU & burn unit
PICC line IV antibx 8 mo
10/4/10, 2/14/11 reconst surg
OC 3x in 3 years
very happy to be alive smile
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)

Wow that is amazing how happy you must be both patient and care giver...if you don't mind I am going to join you in doing "the dance"....this I refer to from the movie Evan almighty at the end Evan and God "Do the dance" Evan always did the dance every time something good happened so since watching that movie I like to "do the dance" which is not unlike the "happy dance" when one wins the lottery... which I bet you feel like you have done!!!!

Take care and keep up the fantastic work

Dianne

Dianne..treatment at cc at Victoria Hospital, London, Ontario...insulin dependant, Surgery Sept 8/08 Tracheotomy,composite resection and bilateral neck dissection, left radial forearm free flap... T2N0 squamous cell carcinoma. No radiation A little over 2 yrs clear YAY
Platinum Member (300+ posts)
Platinum Member (300+ posts)

awesome news! congrats! may the recovery phase go well and quickly for him!

Rita - Age 44
wife, mother of 4 - ages 3,16,21,24 & grandma to 1
(R upper) Maxillectomy 8/8/08 - UW / Seattle, WA.

===============================

"Those who think by the inch and speak by the yard, should be kicked by the foot."

Platinum Member (200+ posts)
Platinum Member (200+ posts)

Mrs T, That is super!! You both must be so happy, and I am happy for you. So from now on, may all of your clovers be made of four, and colorful rainbows shine brightly for you both. From the Irish girl, Angel

SCC left tonsil, tonsillectomy with additional tissue removed 06/10/08, a few teeth on top left side removed 09/05/08,recurrence before treatment started at BOT and tonsil area, 35 IMRT treatments began 10/15/08, and Cisplatin IV (began10/16/08) weekly for duration of radiation.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
iMarc845, amndcllns01, Jina, VintageMel, rahul320
13,105 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums23