Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

Dianne,

Not upset here. Many people have very legitimate complaints about dentists. Like any other profession or type of work, there are good and bad.

Many people have bad experiences in a dental office because they wait too long to get treatment, but unfortunately, many times it is because the dentist is not competent or caring.

Jerry

Jerry

Retired Dentist, 59 years old at diagnosis. SCC of the left lateral border of the tongue (Stage I). Partial glossectomy and 30 nodes removed, 4/6/05. Nodes all clear. No chemo no radiation 18 year survivor.

"Whatever doesn't kill me, makes me stronger"
tizz #81564 10-05-2008 02:55 PM

Is there anyone out there who can recommend a good dentist in the Atlanta area? We are having a hard time in this search and we want someone who will give the best care given the circumstances! Thanks!!

age 35 at DX,EBV-, HPV+,stage 4a oropharyngeal BOT rt side 1 node+/15 nodes - rt side of neck, non-smoker/drinker, induction therapy to begin 9/18/08 cisplatin,5FU,taxotere 2X, radiation to follow for 7 wks, radiation completed 1/21/09

Hi Terry & Troy,

Although I don't know any general dentists in Atlanta, I have a classmate there that is an endodontist. He could be helpful in steering you in the right direction as he would know many dentists in the area that refer to him.

His name is Richard Shapiro and I'm sure you can find him in the phone book. Tell him I (Jerry Wilck) gave you his name in the hope that he can help you out.

Good luck.

Jerry

Jerry

Retired Dentist, 59 years old at diagnosis. SCC of the left lateral border of the tongue (Stage I). Partial glossectomy and 30 nodes removed, 4/6/05. Nodes all clear. No chemo no radiation 18 year survivor.

wilckdds #81578 10-05-2008 11:34 PM
"OCF Down Under"
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)
"OCF Down Under"
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)

Hi Jerry,
Have wondered about you profile name and now know where the Wilck comes from. So the DDS is something to do with dentistry?
The initials on your business card meaning... confused
Tizz..hope you survived the long weekend and please let me know how it goes on Wednesday.
Cheers
Gabriele

History Leukoplakia bx 8/2006 SCC floor mouth T3N0M0- Verrucous Carcinoma.
14 hour 0p SCC-Right ND/excision/marginal mandibulectomy 9/2006, 4 teeth removed, flap from wrist, trach-ng 6 days- no chemo/rad.
6 ops and debulking (flap/tongue join) + bx's 2006-2012.
bx Jan 2012 Hyperkeratosis-Epithelial Dysplasia
24cm GIST tumour removed 8/2013. Indefinite Oral Chemo.

1/31/16 passed away peacefully surrounded by family

Gabe #81645 10-06-2008 09:51 PM
OCF Founder
OCF Founder

DDS= doctor of dental science, or in eastern US states DMD for doctor of dental medicine

Brian, stage 4 oral cancer survivor. OCF Founder and Director. The first responsibility of a leader is to define reality. The last is to say thank you. In between, the leader is a servant.
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)

As my friend Jerry has said there are some bad dentists out there just like in any occupation. We all have heard it and wish it didn't happen but, it does and so we have to be able to deal with it and most of us (I know 2 of us for certain) make sure we treat every patient as best and in the most caring manner possible.
D.D.S. = D.M.D but does not in any way indicate the competance and/or level of experience, knowledge or care you will recieve.
In my own opinion I believe there are many more competant Dentists in practice than incompetant.
Cheers,
Mike

Dentist since 1995, 12 year Cancer Survivor, Father, Husband, Thankful to so many who supported me on my journey so far, and more than happy to comfort a friend.
Live, Laugh, Love & Learn.
Dr. Mike #81650 10-07-2008 05:09 AM

Gabe et al,

Just to clarify that there is no distinction between DDS and DMD, about 25 years after graduation, my dental school offered me the opportunity to change my degree to DMD as that was the degree that they were now awarding. I of course refused, as there was no need to do it. Unfortunately, many people assume wrongly that there is a difference and the "MD" part of the degree leads them to assume that.

Brian, DDS actually stands for Doctor of Dental Surgery. It's very often that the abbreviation is confused.

Meredith, hope you have seen your dentist by now and the tooth is feeling better.

Jerry

Jerry

wilckdds #81655 10-07-2008 05:28 AM
Senior Patient Advocate
Senior Patient Advocate

I have been very fortunate to have never had anything but the most professional dentists to treat me. I have been going to dentists since I was 7 and have had a total of only 3 in my lifetime and all were just down to earth great caring people. Certainly tremendous strides have been made in dentistry in the last 50 years but people attracted to it are still the same, which is a good thing in my opinion.

David

Age 58 at Dx, HPV16+ SCC, Stage IV BOT+2 nodes, non smoker, casual drinker, exercise nut, Cisplatin x 3 & concurrent IMRT x 35,(70 Gy), no surgery, no Peg, Tx at Moffitt over Aug 06. Jun 07, back to riding my bike 100 miles a wk. Now doing 12 Spin classes and 60 outdoor miles per wk. Nov 13 completed Hilly Century ride for Cancer, 104 miles, 1st Place in my age group. Apr 2014 & 15, Spun for 9 straight hrs to raise $$ for YMCA's Livestrong Program. Certified Spin Instructor Jun 2014.
wilckdds #81735 10-08-2008 04:11 PM

Thanks, Jerry. I will give your friend's office a call and ask if he can give a referral. Can you (or anyone out there) give us an idea of what is recommended for pre and post radiation care for the teeth? Our current dentist really didn't offer any advice and it seems like it is very secondary to the oncologist and radiation oncologist. It is something that is weighing heavy on our minds since we have always taken very good care of our teeth and my husband wants to preserve them in any way that he can. My husband's second round of chemo starts tomorrow. He may go for a third, but if he doesn't, then radiation is soon to follow and we want to take care of those teeth!! Thanks so much.

Last edited by terryandtroy; 10-08-2008 04:11 PM.

age 35 at DX,EBV-, HPV+,stage 4a oropharyngeal BOT rt side 1 node+/15 nodes - rt side of neck, non-smoker/drinker, induction therapy to begin 9/18/08 cisplatin,5FU,taxotere 2X, radiation to follow for 7 wks, radiation completed 1/21/09

Most of us have been using fluoride trays on a daily basis during radiation and pretty much daily after treatment (forever). Many also use fluoride toothpaste.

Good oral hygiene is a must. My dentist has me coming in for a cleaning and check-up every 2-3 months.

Many of us use Biotene products (toothpaste, mouthwash, and moisturizer) � they have a line of products for dry mouth that contain enzymes needed to maintain a healthy oral balanced environment.

Radiation to the jaw puts you at increase risk for Osteoradionecrosis (ORN). ORN is defined as a necrosis or death of the bone of the mandible or maxilla that may occur following radiation therapy for cancer in the oral and perioral region.

Did his dentist take x-rays of his teeth? It is important to have a good oral exam before treatment begins, and have any dental problems corrected before radiation begins. After radiation, dental problems are much more difficult to treat and heal. I had my wisdom teeth pulled before treatment because they felt I could have trouble with them in the future.

If he develops ORN or needs dental work post-RT, they will most likely recommend hyperbaric oxygen therapy (HBO).

My teeth were in good condition before treatment, been doing all I mentioned above, but found out recently that I was developing ORN and just complete a series of 45 HBO treatments.

Also, I recently switched to a different dentist. The dentist I went to for years, who I really liked and he continues to treat the rest of my family, didn't have that many patients with oral cancer. I was starting to have some problems with my teeth, and got a recommendation from my RO for a dentist (actually a prosthodontist) who treats a lot of oral cancer patients. Something to consider.

I hope I was able to answer some of your questons. If not, there is a lot of information on the OCF website addressing these topics.

Susan

SCC R-Lateral tongue, T1N0M0
Age 47 at Dx, non-smoker, casual drinker, HPV-
Surgery: June 2005
RT: Feb-Apr 2006
HBOT: 45 in 2008; 30 in 2013; 30 in 2022 -> Total 105!
Recurrence/Surgeries: Jan & Apr 2010
Biopsy 2/2011: Moderate dysplasia
Surgery 4/2011: Mild dysplasia
Dental issues: 2013-2022 (ORN)
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Eva Grayzel 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260