Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Senior Patient Advocate
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
Senior Patient Advocate

Yes do make sure he gets a minimum of 60 ozs water and 3000 cals EACH and EVERY DAY. Don't think that if you fall short today you will make it up tomorrow as tomorrow never comes. I say you because it's up to you to the the nurse from hell and make sure he meets those goals.

Even though I'm against the Peg because I firmly believe after reading thousands of posts that most of the people that get it become dependent on it and usually end up with post Tx swallowing issues and tend to stay on the Peg for many months post Tx I certainly recognize it's obvious benefit but please encourage him to use it only when he's unable to meet those daily goals. Like having the best of both worlds.

I think one of the shortcomings in all of our Tx plans is that if one is getting concurrent radiation/chemo we should all be given DAILY hydration starting say week 4 and continuing until we walk out of that damn tunnel. I believe this whether or not we get the Peg. I went to the ER 3 times to get fluids and others with the Peg also had to visit the ER so to me that shows we are not given the proper daily hydration and caloric goals and that's why I have upped my daily recommendations to 60 and 3000. I don't think they really understand the bodies' requirements when nuked, poisoned and stressed to a near death state. OK, gotta get off my box now.

David

Age 58 at Dx, HPV16+ SCC, Stage IV BOT+2 nodes, non smoker, casual drinker, exercise nut, Cisplatin x 3 & concurrent IMRT x 35,(70 Gy), no surgery, no Peg, Tx at Moffitt over Aug 06. Jun 07, back to riding my bike 100 miles a wk. Now doing 12 Spin classes and 60 outdoor miles per wk. Nov 13 completed Hilly Century ride for Cancer, 104 miles, 1st Place in my age group. Apr 2014 & 15, Spun for 9 straight hrs to raise $$ for YMCA's Livestrong Program. Certified Spin Instructor Jun 2014.
MS T #81361 10-01-2008 06:42 AM
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)

MS T,

I'm so glad to hear your husband is getting the PEG tube. I would not have fared anywhere near as well as I have without it. I think of mine as a tool, like a cane or even a vacuum cleaner - I hate having to use it, but recognize its necessity. I had no trouble staying hydrated during treatment and once I started using it, I lost no weight at all. I did receive extra weekly hydration after week 4, in addition to the hydration I received during my chemotherapy, but that was to keep nausea at bay. I did follow faithfully the recommendations of my nutritionist and my swallow therapist and made sure I was doing my jaw stretching and swallowing exercises and I cannot stress enough how important these are!

Now that I'm transitioning off the tube, its still great to have since my tongue continues to be raw and sore. I know that even when I'm having a "bad tongue day" I can get the nutrition and hydration I need.

I think if your husband is as stubborn as I am, he'll be fine.

- Margaret

Stage IV SCC lt lateral tongue, surgery 5/19/08 (partial gloss/upper neck dissection left side/radial free flap reconstruction) IMRT w/weekly Cisplatin & Erbitux 6/30/08, PEG 1 6/12/08 - out 7/14 (in abdominal wall, not stomach), PEG 2 7/23/08 - out 11/20/08, Tx done 8/18/08
Second SCC tumor, Stage 1, rt mobile tongue, removed 10/18/2016, right neck dissection 12/9/2016
Third SCC tumor, diagnosed, 4/19/2108, rt submandibular mass, HPV-, IMRT w/ weekly Cisplatin, 5/9 - 6/25/2018, PEG 3 5/31/2018
Senior Member (100+ posts)
Senior Member (100+ posts)

Peg is no fun but a necessary tool for most of us as you are reading. Expect for him to feel like he's been kicked in the stomach by a horse for the first week or so.

Bill . . . SCC - originated in right tonsil, drifted into neck ( 28 lymph nodes removed - one positive ). Radical neck dissection in September 07, completed 34 radiation tx on January 4, 2008. Used Peg. Non smoker, 61, good shape, no previous health issues. Second year PET scan - "all clear".
MS T #81525 10-04-2008 08:22 AM
MS T Offline OP
Contributing Member (25+ posts)
OP Offline

whew,

Ok the PEG is in. It was a long night, Hubby was in a lot of discomfort mainly from air in his abdomen, stomach and diaphram. Looks like it is finally easing this morning.( he did a lot of walking last night to get things moving) I had the nurse push the whole bag of fluids before we left and he was real good about drinking last night. He got 60ozs down before bed. The home health nurse will be by today to train me in care and use. At th moment Hubby is not too sure he should have done this. (~grin~ I expected him tofeel exactly this way an can't blame him one bit) He is so over being poked and prodded and having some sort of new pain form one thing or another. But I'm confident in a day or two he'll feel better and in a week or two he'll be real glad he had it done early rather then later.
It's a strange feeling right now. Looking forward to the next 3 weeks because it means we'll be done! and knowing at the same time that this is going to be the hardest thing he has ever had to do.

Ija wife-husband 47y healthy nonsmoker,nvr chewed.Dx SCC 01/05 primary left anterior toungue w/2 surgeries 02/05 no rad/chemo recurrence 12/07 no rad/chemo. 07/08/08 modified lt radical neck disection 3 nodes removed 2 pos SCC. TX 090808 taxol & carboplatinx7 radx37 w/ethyol.
MS T #81538 10-04-2008 04:01 PM

If he drinks 60 OZ of water , have a bucket handy. I drink 64 OZ and believe me, I sure lose a lot of sleep and run up the water bill ... from flushing that is. I drink spring water.

Since posting this. UPMC, Pittsburgh, Oct 2011 until Jan. I averaged about 2 to 3 surgeries a week there. w Can't have jaw made as bone is deteroriating steaily that is left in jaw. Mersa is to blame. Feeding tube . Had trach for 4mos. Got it out April.
--- Passed away 5/14/14, will be greatly missed by everyone here
EzJim #81555 10-05-2008 04:52 AM

Hi there,

So glad your husband got the peg. I had one during my treatment as well. I was slim when I started treatment and it really kept me from getting into the danger zone with my weight even after I had finished rads and chemo.

What I did to avoid all the swallowing stuff was force myself to drink something everyday even when it was really painful to do it. I just kept my water bottle handy and took sips throughout the day.

Now I can swallow just fine and have had the peg tube out for several months.

Just let him know there is a light at the end of the tunnel and he will get through!

Cindy

SCC of tongue removed 3/07 mod. left neck dissection. Tumor reappeared 6/07. Removed 8/07, right neck dissection, free flap from wrist for tongue graph. Radiation 30 (IMRT), chemo cisplatin 4 rounds finished 11/07.
MS T #81611 10-06-2008 05:24 PM
MS T Offline OP
OP Offline

Hi again Folks,
Today was Hubby's 4th outta 7 chemos. Hoepfully only 3 more to go. He had a reaction to the taxol for the second time and this time he was only 15ccs into the treatment. Needless to say it's been a long day. The dr. will talk with us next week on changes. The only thing he was definite on was he would not be continueing the taxol.
In answer to all of your great recommendations. I have already started giving him fluids thru the PEG and will be prabably giving him more each day as the week progresses. the ulcers in his mouth are not getting better even with 3 days off this weekend. You'll be happy to hear tho that he insists on swallowing everything that he can handle and I"m confident he'll press on with swallowing as often as he can muster. He is also pressing on with the dynasplint although he dosen't always get to it 3 times a day like he is suppose to.
The home suction machine will be here tomorrow. I didn't even have to ask, the dr. ordered it today and if we hadn't been in chemo all day they would have delivered it already. Now that impressed me. That they were so quick to respond to his order.
Mondays are always taxing and I must say I'm worn out and a little overwelmed at the moment. it's good to know all of you are here at the end of a day like this. Thank you again everyone! You have been a great help and I have a feeling I'll be leaning even more on all of you during thses days ahead.

Ija wife-husband 47y healthy nonsmoker,nvr chewed.Dx SCC 01/05 primary left anterior toungue w/2 surgeries 02/05 no rad/chemo recurrence 12/07 no rad/chemo. 07/08/08 modified lt radical neck disection 3 nodes removed 2 pos SCC. TX 090808 taxol & carboplatinx7 radx37 w/ethyol.
MS T #81653 10-07-2008 05:18 AM
Senior Patient Advocate
Senior Patient Advocate

I know it's tough but tell him the end is near so hang in there.

David

Age 58 at Dx, HPV16+ SCC, Stage IV BOT+2 nodes, non smoker, casual drinker, exercise nut, Cisplatin x 3 & concurrent IMRT x 35,(70 Gy), no surgery, no Peg, Tx at Moffitt over Aug 06. Jun 07, back to riding my bike 100 miles a wk. Now doing 12 Spin classes and 60 outdoor miles per wk. Nov 13 completed Hilly Century ride for Cancer, 104 miles, 1st Place in my age group. Apr 2014 & 15, Spun for 9 straight hrs to raise $$ for YMCA's Livestrong Program. Certified Spin Instructor Jun 2014.
MS T Offline OP
OP Offline

David,

Thanks! I told him. He agrees and grinned. We really can feel the end is near. We see just a hint of light ahead and know that will only grow as the days pass.
YAY! tomorrow is Friday which means 2 days off and he'll have 22 tx's behind him. That means next week he'll finally get to the home streatch. ~big grin~
I'll be so happy to have the treatments over so we can just concentrate on recovery without the additional stress of what the next treatment will do him. heh,heh, I think I'm getting a bit antsy. I'd better settle down I know we still have a fairly long road ahead, but just can't help being glad it really is getting closer to the end then the beginning!!!

MS T #81790 10-09-2008 04:48 PM

Ija,

You will be finished soon and yes, aren't those weekends a blessing. I was always so glad to have a couple of days just to stay home, take care of Bill and not worry about the twice a day trek to radiation or other apppointments. Sometimes you just have to find the silver lining, and for me a day or two without Dr.s appts was a lovely thing.

Hang in there...you will soon be walking out the door for the final time.

Deb

Deb..caregiver to husband, age 63 at diagnosis, former smoker who quit in 1997.
DIAGNOSIS: 6/26/07 SCC right tonsil/BOT T4N0M0
TREATMENT START: 8/9/07 cisplatin/taxol X 7..IMRT twice daily X 31.5.
TREATMENT END: 10/1/07
PEG OUT: 1/08
PORT OUT: 4/09
FOLLOWUP: Now only annual exams. ALL CLEAR!

Passed away 1/7/17 RIP Bill
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
iMarc845, amndcllns01, Jina, VintageMel, rahul320
13,105 Registered Users