Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Lani G Offline OP
Platinum Member (200+ posts)
OP Offline

My mouth and throat dryness hit a high about 15 months post RD and has continued, but..... I noticed about a month or so ago that the space between my upper lip and my (toothless) gum was beginning to not be so dry. Now it's not dry at all.

A couple of days ago, I noticed that my whole mouth isn't quite as bone-dry as it was, IF I'm not breathing through my mouth, which I do quite often. (I'm also fighting stuffy sinus problems so I have to breathe through my mouth until I get them cleared.) I've also noticed that my tongue isn't so coffee-stained. I used to really have to brush and scrape often, but the stains aren't there anymore - maybe because I'm generating a small amount of saliva? Eating/swallowing has become less difficult over the last few days or so, too.

I don't think it's because I ran out and bought the Biotene spray, because I'm only using that before I go to sleep and when I wake up. So is this wishful thinking, or is it possible that maybe at least some of my saliva glands might be starting to recover 2 years after treatment ended?

Lani

SCC part glossectomy 3/06, recur 8/06 glossectomy, floor of mouth, part of jaw removed, RT/chemo thru 10/12/06, PET clear 7/08
"A bend in the road is not the end of the road, unless you fail to make the turn"
Passed away 12/14/08
Senior Patient Advocate
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
Senior Patient Advocate

Lonnie,

That's great news and I hope it's just the start of more improvements. There is no book of rules on our recovery so we are free to write our own.

BTW how do you pronounce your name? LOl

David

Age 58 at Dx, HPV16+ SCC, Stage IV BOT+2 nodes, non smoker, casual drinker, exercise nut, Cisplatin x 3 & concurrent IMRT x 35,(70 Gy), no surgery, no Peg, Tx at Moffitt over Aug 06. Jun 07, back to riding my bike 100 miles a wk. Now doing 12 Spin classes and 60 outdoor miles per wk. Nov 13 completed Hilly Century ride for Cancer, 104 miles, 1st Place in my age group. Apr 2014 & 15, Spun for 9 straight hrs to raise $$ for YMCA's Livestrong Program. Certified Spin Instructor Jun 2014.
Lani G Offline OP
OP Offline

David,

I really do think something positive's going on here. If I just remember to keep my mouth shut - when I'm not arguing with my sinuses - it's definitely not as dry. It feels kind of thick & gooey, but I've seen here where the thick has often occurred first in the regeneration process. And it's a lot less difficult to swallow than it was only 3 or 4 days ago. Maybe what I thought was my new norm won't be? It sure would make teeth more feasible. I thought I was going to have to start carrying a big can of Pam cooking spray around with me. smile

Lani is pronounced with a short "a", like in the boys' name "Lanny". My husband, after 20 yrs married, still pronounces it "Loni" (as in Anderson - wishful thinking on his part?) with short "o" sound, because he says Lanny is a boys' name. I answer to Lani, Loni, Lainie, anything but Loony (though I probably should answer to that most of all).Since several people have asked: It's short for Elaine, and no, I'm not Hawaiian, though I would really love to visit there some day. At least my name would fit right in.

It's fun having an unusual name. I sure wish my youngest son saw the fun in it. His name is Kalen (I made it up), but he's spent his life being called Kaylynn or having mail come in addressed to "Karen", so now he goes by "Krow". smile

Lani

SCC part glossectomy 3/06, recur 8/06 glossectomy, floor of mouth, part of jaw removed, RT/chemo thru 10/12/06, PET clear 7/08
"A bend in the road is not the end of the road, unless you fail to make the turn"
Passed away 12/14/08
Contributing Member (25+ posts)
Contributing Member (25+ posts)

Lani,

Great that you may be getting some of your saliva back. My husband is 4 yrs. out and still has none. He is though starting to taste more foods now, little by little.

He does still complain of very thick mucus which gets stuck in his throat. I thought after 4 yrs. this would change but has not. He should probably mention it to his radiologist when he sees him next month. Probably not much to help this problem!

I did write about a new device (under general discussion) that was developed by an oral/maxillofacial surgeon here in Illinois which released water all through the night while you sleep but it is way to costly for us to afford ($2,000). Don't know why it is this expensive.

Take care.
Ken's wife

"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)

Lani,

My sisters' friend Cat has two kids named Cage and Raven...the husband just has a regular name...I think Nick or Bob...or John...something like that.

7-16-08 age 37@Dx, T3N0M0 SCC 4.778cm tumor, left side of oral tongue, non smoker, casual drinker, I am the 4th in my family to have H&N cancer
8-13-08 left neck dissection and 40% of tongue removed, submandibular salivary gland & 14 nodes clean, no chemo, IMRTx35
11-4-08 Recovering & feeling better
Lani G Offline OP
OP Offline

Ray,

My #1 son, Dylan, had some problems with people spelling it Dillon, but he's always liked his name. #2 son, Jason, was so tired of being "Jason C" or "Jason #3" while he was a kid. I didn't know everybody else in the country was naming their sons Jason that day, too.

So then came my "late-in-life" surprise, son #3. I didn't want him to be just another whomever, hence the name Kalen. When he complains, which isn't often anymore, I just tell him he's lucky I didn't take a lead from Frank Zappa and name him Dweazel! smile

Lani

Passed away 12/14/08
Lani G Offline OP
OP Offline

Mrs. Ken, smile

The thick mucus in Ken's throat - I've had that, too. The radiation area for me went from my mouth to almost 3" below my collarbone, so the dryness goes that far down - both pipes and upper parts of lungs. When I wake I need to use my asthma inhaler, Albuterol, (Oh yeah, I forgot, I have COPD, too.) to break up the mucus, which seems hard as a rock. For me it's also in the upper portions of my lungs and I can't breathe very well until I can loosen and break it up. But, you know, that problem seems to be a bit better lately, too. Hmmm.....

I would be afraid to try that new device you mentioned, even if I could afford it. I still have swallowing issues - like things want to go down into my lungs or up into my nose. I really need to conciously direct the food and liquid. I swear I may never try rice again, no matter how much sauce or butter it's in. Can you imagine being at a banquet, blowing your nose, and having chunks of rice come out? Now imagine that they had wanted to honor you that evening, so you're sitting at the head table. I hadn't wanted to be any trouble, but for the rest of the convention I made sure the kitchen knew to serve me mashed potatoes & applesauce with every entree. I guess it's good that my saliva seems to be coming back, but thick for now. Don't want to drown in my sleep after all I've been through so far. smile

I'm glad to hear that Ken's taste is returning some. I really miss those things that I used to love, but now only enjoy by smell. I can taste some, but mostly cover everything with salt or sugar - whichever applies.

Lani

Passed away 12/14/08
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)

Anything like rice is bad to eat if one has swallowing problems -- Instead of clumping together in one bolus of food, rice has a tendency to separate and each piece go it's own merry way, which might easily include aspiration into the lungs, thereby leading to pneumonia...

Age 67 1/2
Ventral Tongue SCC T2N0M0G1 10/05
Anterior Tongue SCC T2N0M0G2 6/08
Base of Tongue SCC T2N0M0G2 12/08
Three partial glossectomy (10/05,11/05,6/08), PEG, 37 XRT 66.6 Gy 1/06
Neck dissection, trach, PEG & forearm free flap (6/08)
Total glossectomy, trach, PEG & thigh free flap (12/08)
On August 21, 2010 at 9:20 am, Pete went off to play with the ratties in the sky.
Administrator, Director of Patient Support Services
Administrator, Director of Patient Support Services

Lani:

Rice sure is a tough one. I tried some a few nights ago and almost choked to death on it. Those little pieces all seperated and stuck to that flap that covers your windpipe. I wont eat rice again until I really can eat better.

Glad to hear about your recent improvements. That should be very encouraging to you.

Christine
SCC 6/15/07 L chk & by L molar both Stag I, age44
2x cispltn-35 IMRT end 9/27/07
-65 lbs in 2 mo, no caregvr
Clear PET 1/08
4/4/08 recur L chk Stag I
surg 4/16/08 clr marg
215 HBO dives
3/09 teeth out, trismus
7/2/09 recur, Stg IV
8/24/09 trach, ND, mandiblctmy
3wks medicly inducd coma
2 mo xtended hospital stay, ICU & burn unit
PICC line IV antibx 8 mo
10/4/10, 2/14/11 reconst surg
OC 3x in 3 years
very happy to be alive smile
Lani G Offline OP
OP Offline

And without teeth or taste, what's the sense of rice anyway? smile

Passed away 12/14/08
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Eva Grayzel 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
Kval, iMarc845, amndcllns01, Jina, VintageMel