Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#8105 08-21-2006 05:24 AM
OP Offline

I am curious if anyone has had node involvement on the opposite side after initial diagnosis. My initial diagnosis was in April of this year (Stage 1, SCC of the left lateral border of the tongue). I had a partial glossectomy with modified lymph node dissection on the left side. No radiation was recommended for me either because nothing was found in my lymph nodes and all the margins were "clean" after my glossectomy. I am happy to say that other than pain issues at the beginning, which FINALLY were resolved, I am doing better. My speech has vastly improved and other than being numb, which is a pain, things are okay.

However, just this weekend, I woke up with a large and painful lymph node just under my ear on the RIGHT side, the opposite side from the one I had surgery. I am trying to get in right now to see my onco, but wondering if anyone else has had this experience and whether I should be worried (like anyone could keep me from it!)

OCF Founder
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
OCF Founder
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

We have said it here before, that published studies show that almost 30% of stage one and two patients who show clear nodes on scans at the time of surgery, actually have occult micro mets to the nodes, which do not manifest themselves into something scanable, or palpable for as long as a year to 18 months after treatment. Having said that, the fact that it is painful is likely a good sign as positive nodes are not usually painful. This is not an absolute, just a general clinical impression. Infections in the ear, tooth abcesses, etc. all. can drain into the cervical nodes causing them to become inflamed, enlarged and painful. But you are doing the right thing...get it check by someone in the know.

Brian, stage 4 oral cancer survivor. OCF Founder and Director. The first responsibility of a leader is to define reality. The last is to say thank you. In between, the leader is a servant.
OP Offline

Brian,
Thank you for at re-peating what has been said before. Sometimes when you are scared it is hard to find just what you are looking for and so you ask questions that have already been answered somewhere else.
I am trying to change hospitals to a larger head and neck treatment center in the middle of all of this which is slowing things down. It seems the best thing to do is to get in to see my regular onco and then get a second opinion if it is necessary by someone else if treatment is necessary.
Again, thank you for your post. I'll let you know how it turns out.
RLM in WV

Vin Offline
Senior Member (100+ posts)
Senior Member (100+ posts)

My spouse had SCC on the left later tongue which was removed with a glossecromy with clear margins. A left neck dissection was also done and one node was positive on the left neck.

About a month after the surgery a palpable node popped up on the right neck toward the middle of the jaw bone. The node was not painful. About 5 different doctors (surgeons, ENT, RO) felt it and said it was not cancerous. The ENT at our CCC ordered an fine needle aspiration biopsy which showed no sign of cancer in the node. Following the FNA, radiation treatment started to both sides of the neck and the node dis-appeared. This was over a year ago. Two CT scans have been done as follow up since and have shown no sign of node enlargement on the right side.

Good luck and I hope you get good results.

CG to wife;
Jan 2005 DX SCC Tongue T2N1MO; RND surgery Mar 2005; 35 XRT and 4 cisplatin completed Jul 2005.
Dec 2006 tongue surgery, Scar tissue no cancer.
Feb 2010 neck node FNA - negative.
2010 ORN right jaw plus fracture
2015 ORN left jaw plus fracture
Feb 2016 Lower jaw reconstruction by Fibula free flap+titanium plate - Permanent G-tube
June 2016 Difficulty breathing - Permanent Trachea tube
Dec 2019 DX Cervical cancer - Stage 1 - Surgery Jan 16 2020.
15-20 esophagus/larynx dilations

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
amndcllns01, Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916
13,104 Registered Users
Forum Statistics