Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
OP Offline

I am a caregiver for my mil who has/had throat cancer. The supragalotic tumor was discovered while she was being intubated during her mastectomy (they were pretty sure they got all the breast cancer). She had to have an emergency tracheostomy. It was ruled inoperable at the time until she came to stay with us and we took her to Mayo. She had laser surgery and a neck discetion a few weeks later which was extensive - numerous nodes were removed as well as the jugular (about 8 hours.) When the pathology reports came back, it was determined that part of the cancer that was removed was actually breast cancer. The doctors were all shocked as this was completely undetected. She is recovering for a while and will undergo radiation with possible/probable chemo in a few weeks.

My questions are about what, in your opinion (some of the REAL experts imo,) are we really looking at? They said the throat cancer was lymphovascular invasive and now that the b/c is metastatic; however, they said they are sure they got it all...

I'm not asking for medical opinions per se, but just any personal stories/experiences. Could we actually be at the end once the six weeks of radiation is over?

Thanking all of you in advance...

(sorry for any and all spelling errors)

CG to MIL - Throat Cancer, Stage 4 removed via transoral laser resection 8/08. Breast Cancer, Stage unknown; mastectomy 7/08 and also found in the neck during the TLM. Awaiting additional treatment.
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

My opinion would be glad they got it all and found the rest on the 2nd go round. I found your post interesting but don't have a way with the 50 cent words to impress. I have you all in my prayewrs and wish list for speedy recoveries. Keep us informed as to what goes on please. Have Great day.

Since posting this. UPMC, Pittsburgh, Oct 2011 until Jan. I averaged about 2 to 3 surgeries a week there. w Can't have jaw made as bone is deteroriating steaily that is left in jaw. Mersa is to blame. Feeding tube . Had trach for 4mos. Got it out April.
--- Passed away 5/14/14, will be greatly missed by everyone here
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)

D-in-L,
My sister has been on and off chemo for several years for a very aggressive form of breast cancer. It first showed up in her neck and when the dr. went to remove the lymph nodes it was found to be extending down into the back of the chest wall. It had invaded her spine and was so far back that a normal mamogram would not have revealed it. The treatments have been effective in containing the cancer.
I hope that your mother-in-law has a good recovery and all cancer is eliminated.
Malka

SCC stage II Partial mandibulectomy w. neck dissection- July 2005. Renal cancer w. partial nephrectomy-Jan 2004. Breast cancer discovered in routine mammogram. Successful lumpectomy, sentinal nodes clear, RT only-2008 Reconstruction of mandible w fibula free flap-Jan 09. TORS removal of begnin pappiloma from esophagus-2010. Masectomy,rt breast 2013.
Support OCF
Supporting Member (50+ posts)
Supporting Member (50+ posts)

i haven't been here in about 5 months and i am just now getting back on.i sure hope everyone is alright.
lynn

linda anderson

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
iMarc845, amndcllns01, Jina, VintageMel, rahul320
13,105 Registered Users